"Thank You" to the mpeg4 beta-testers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ed Campbell, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    My HR20 has been pretty stable through the vagaries of the first few updates. Now, it's damned near rock-solid. The few hiccups remaining are barely noticeable.

Like everyone, I await OTA -- especially since that's all I actually need for locals.

I just wanted to thank all the folks working their way through the mpeg4 bugs for getting things fixed before I get to use that portion of my HR20. :lol:

I guess I should especially thank the code-writers laboring in that vineyard -- since they have to differentiate between genuine problems they can solve in the D* software -- and the results of garbage delivered by less-than-competent locals.

2. f300v10

f300v10 Legend

Feb 11, 2005
    Not all of us using MPEG4 are having issues. Most of my recordings are MPEG4 and have worked just fine. No black screen recordings, no missed recordings and no lock-ups in 2 1/2 weeks. I think many of the issues are HDMI related, and perhaps how many series links a user has. I only have around 12, there is only so much time I have to watch TV.

3. Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady Legend

Nov 25, 2005
    My HR20 is thus far working flawlessly. It recorded Lost, and Biggest Loser without incident last night (among many other shows, but those were the most important) and I think I'm going to like this machine!

We're currently putting it through the paces and, although I'm not crazy about the GUI I can certainly live with it. :thumbs up:

4. Rob55

Rob55 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Same here, just about completely stable, even with HDMI.:D

5. Howie

Howie Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    I liked mine too, last week. Now with the FF forward problem they've created I hate it.

6. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    Well, I'm certainly glad that the three of you have had no problems, while the rest of us are having MAJOR problems with pixelation, freezing, lockups, being unable to FF/REW, etc! :mad:

7. jimbo713

jimbo713 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I've seen no pixelation when fast forwarding. My unit is very stable. The only problem here is with our NBC WOAI-TV's signal. It's very flat HD with frequent audio echoing and, at least during last night's TONIGHT show, a ton of pixelation. All using HDMI. But, we love the HR20.

8. Marty B

Marty B Legend

Sep 21, 2006
    When you guys say "pixelation", are you refering to compression artifacts?

9. Rob55

Rob55 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Are we talking about the "usual" compression artifacts we all get as a result DTV trying to cram too many channels down their limited bandwidth or something specific to MPEG-4 locals?

10. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I too would like to thank all of us for taking the time to post our concerns. I think without our voices being heard, there would be many more unhappy people. Also, let's not forget Earl. He has been a rock through all of this and a great mediator between us and D*.

We aren't out of the woods yet; but I think we're pretty damn good for only a month into the HR20.

11. billt1111

billt1111 Legend

Aug 16, 2006

Ditto. Great job. I have a few pixels out of place, only on MPEG2, when I FF or RW but otherwise everything works flawlessly. I think the majority of HR20 owners have few problems and feel no reason or motivation to log on here and post good news.

And the price was awesome too.

12. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    No. We ALL know of the compression pixelation and artifacts from D* over the years. The pixelation WE are referring to with tis latest update is where the whole screen pixelates. I was watching a program last night where the picture was freezing, stuttering, the audio was dropping out, the frame loop, and the entire screen was pixellating into a complete blue or green screen. Or the moving object, like a moving person in a scene would completely pixellate! THAT'S the pixellation we are referring to! Where the entire recording isn't even watchable!

13. jimbo713

jimbo713 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Good description, NFLnut, on my WOAI (NBC) TONIGHT SHOW experience last night. Governor AH-NOLD was on - and even though his voice and sentences were not distorted or choppy, the picuture sure was. Turned it off. And, btw, the other local MPEG-4 channels are great. Stunning!:)

14. Marty B

Marty B Legend

Sep 21, 2006
    Pixalation:
    An effect which occurs when a bitmapped image is enlarged so that the individual pixels are obvious to the eye.

Compression Artifact:
    A compression artifact (or artefact) is the result of an aggressive data compression scheme applied to an image, audio, or video that discards some data which is determined by an algorithm to be of lesser importance to the overall content but which is nonetheless discernible and objectionable to the user. Artifacts in time-dependent data such as audio or video are often a result of the latent error in lossy data compression.

15. jimbo713

jimbo713 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Thanks for the definitions. And the spelling lesson: "Pixalation":grin:

16. Marty B

Marty B Legend

Sep 21, 2006
    I kant take credit for the speling. I thought you were right. I just cut and paste from Wikipidia. :D

17. snewo

snewo AllStar

Sep 30, 2006
    I'm with alot of the other posters in here. Things are working just fine for me. FF my MPEG4 works fine (Lost on Wednesday)....looks fine too. The only things I'm waiting for are OTA and MPEG4 stuttering fix when they finally swap out the equipment in Philly.

Snewo

18. jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    That's odd. I thought the FFWD bug affected everyone. Are you sure you're on 0xDC?

19. tigerpaw78

tigerpaw78 Cool Member

May 27, 2006
    I see my system got OXDC yesterday afternoon. Last night is when I couldn't FF recorded shows (seemed to just get stuck in a loop). I thought it was a conspiracy with the advertisers. Glad it's just a software glitch. Please tell me they can fix it fast, as this pretty much defeats the whole purpose of a dvr for me. Saving 20 minutes per hour of viewing network shows (of course it might be closer to 30 minutes for golf tournaments). Thankfully, I still have my SD Tivo to watch things.

20. dharrismco

dharrismco Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    I agree. I think there are a lot of people from the developers through to the end users have had a rough few weeks, but it seems to be getting better in a lot of ways... I know it sometimes may seem like 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards (for some people it may feel like just 1 or more steps backwards), but ultimately we all want the issues resolved... and that is what D* is trying for. I doubt they are happy with the issues that exists either.

I whole heartedly second that! In addition to being a rock through this whole.. umm.. adventure, he has also put up with a lot of heat... So for all your help through all of this Earl, Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.