1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks for the memory, Bob Hope

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I just got this flash, and am awaiting confirmation, but NBC news has reported that BoB Hope has passed away.

KNBC Television is also reporting this.

2. cooper

cooper Legend/Supporter

Jan 16, 2003
    Missed your post by a few seconds. Feel free to delete my thread.

3. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Thats OK, thanks. I called it a flash and looking for confirmation. The local radio station ran a ABC special report, and CNN News has a report up.

Now, AP is running a confirmation. "Hope died late Sunday of pneumonia, his longtime publicist Ward Grant said Monday. Hope's family was at his bedside at his home in Toluca Lake."

And now, ABC news is reporting this.

4. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks like we can call this a confirm. :( Thanks for the memories, Bob. Thank you for entertaining our troops. Thank you for the comedy specials.

5. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    A true American legend. Rest in peace.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Bigger than Paul Bunyan, more beloved than Santa Claus, especially among G.I.'s. Truly, America's greatest entertainer.

The angels in Heaven are laughing. :engel10:

Thanks for the memories...

7. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    A friend of mine back in Chesterfield MO, was commissioned to do a sculpture of him a few years ago. He was sent a huge stack of old broadcast quality tapes. I sat there for hours watching. Thanks for the memories.

8. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    ...there's a lot less Hope in the world today...

Thanks for the memories...

9. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks for the memories, Bob is going to be missed.

10. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Agreed with everything said. A true American Legend.

11. Wayne

Wayne AllStar

Jul 1, 2003
    I'm going to miss knowing there is a Bob Hope in this world. What he did for America and for our Armed Forces will never be forgotten. He was one of a kind!

Side Note>>It's sad to see that there are no high profile celebrities of today that have stepped up to the microphone and performed for our men and women in Iraq, South Korea, Europe, and around the world. What a great way to honor Bob Hope that would be if some would. But I guess it's not politically correct to do the "right" thing anymore.

12. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    People seem to consider themselves "stars" and lose sight of the fact that they are entertainers. Mr. Hope never seemed to forget why he was there.

13. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    There simply is no one of his stature anymore. It's a different time. Many celebrities regularly volunteer to travel with USO shows including a few that might surprise you, like Al Franken.

Growing up and to this day, I and my friends would refer to one another as "Bob Hope" when someone made everyone else laugh. To me his name is synonymous with laughter and comedian. A great American(born in England), I am saddened he will no longer be with us.

14. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Even though I never laughed at much of his jokes, he was pretty enteraining on screen.

Plus his LOVE of our Military Troops will never be in question.

I hope GOD has a nice golf cart waiting for him in Heaven, and an 18 hole course that he'll love to play on!! :)
    (Bing Crobsy will be waiting for him too).

[​IMG]

15. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Not to mention a packed house for all the GIs who weren't able to make it home. ;)

TCM revises its schedule on Thursday, July 31th to pay tribute to Bob Hope.

11:00 AM The Road to Hong Kong
    1:00 PM A Global Affair
    2:30 PM Call Me Bwana
    4:15 PM I'll Take Sweden
    6:00 PM Bachelor in Paradise

16. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    And from Another Movie Channel:

Bob Hope: The Road to the Top
    Thu., Jul. 31 at 7:10 AM / EST

How to Commit Marriage
    Thu., Jul. 31 at 8:10 AM / EST

Paris Holiday
    Thu., Jul. 31 at 10:05 AM / EST

Road to Bali
    Thu., Jul. 31 at 12:15 PM / EST

The Seven Little Foys
    Thu., Jul. 31 at 2:10 PM / EST

17. jrjcd

Apr 23, 2002
    too bad for this selection(road to hong kong was probably the weakest of the road pics)...my fav road pic was the road to utopia, which had an ending that was fall off the couch hilarious-

if you can find this film, you'll see crosby do one heck of an "oh, s**t" double take and hope deliver a "sop to the censors of the day" one liner at the end, but the look on his face is all "if you believe what i just said, i have some crop land in florida to sell you"...

wish i had the puter know how to tag "thanks for the memories" audio on this thread...sigh

18. PSB

PSB New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    I am glad someone else mentioned he was a Brit. then an American. We will miss him sadly, but he had a great innings and brought joy to everyone who seen/heard any of his work. Thanks for the Saturday afternoons at home (UK) with my Dad watching the "Road" movies with a block of ice cream the size of a breeze block! His work will live on as long as people can laugh.

19. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Bob Hope movie marations today. And, I'm recording several now.

20. jrjcd

Apr 23, 2002
    i bought a boxed set of four of the road pics(singapore, zanzibar, morocco, and utopia)...

watched the section in Foys with hope and cagney(as George cohan)dancing-absolutely wonderful....however, the movie is hard for me to watch because foy is portrayed as such a total shiite to his wife and family(the scene following the dance number has hope as a totally clueless foy arriving home on the day of his wife's death-the priest greets him, dripping with sarcasm, with "i don't think we've ever met" and his son (billy gray from father knows best)asks him"just passing thru, pop?"...one of two films that hope SHOULD have at least been nominated for an academy award for....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.