The “right to repair” your computer and iPhone, explained

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jul 10, 2019 at 7:18 AM.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Vox:

Apple effectively has a monopoly on fixing your iPhone. There’s now a fight to change that.
    Auto mechanics fought for the “right to repair” your car, and now computer techs are doing the same.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Has anyone ever gotten replacement Bose parts? Last I checked, some of their speakers had about one ohm of impedance, making it impossible to match them.

Is Sam's PhotoFacts still in business?

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I used to have a damn nice Werner 16 foot folding ladder, but one of the plastic, click-in, hinge lock tabs broke - their competitor of that era used brass hinge lock tabs - so I called Werner and they flat out refused to sell me a new hinge, claiming that they would have a liability problem if I somehow found a way to install it wrong, though apparently they were not concerned with the liability exposure they'd have if I kept using it with just one of the two plastic hinge lock tabs carrying the weight force of two.

So I simply moved the middle hinge to replace the broken one and made it into two, 8 foot folding ladders and then bought another brand to meet my occasional needs for a longer ladder.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 at 8:57 PM
  4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I did some work back in the mid 1990s on Fire Alarm and Emergency Call systems in hospitals and assisted care facilities, and the manufacturers of those system would not sell the most primitive, wall plate pull stations direct to the customer. It was good for us, too, because we'd pay like five to ten dollars for an "approved" wall switch assembly that must have cost pennies to make, and then we'd resell it for twenty to thirty dollars to the customer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 12:32 AM
  5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'll tell you, if they make "blade style" Android phones any harder to open, it won't matter whether you can get replacement parts or not.

I think they are now like Ronco cigarette lighters, where when you send one in for "repair" they just throw away your lighter's guts and pop on a new one.

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Now that I think of it, the apartment house intercom systems used like 45 to 50 ohm speakers, so that shared conductors could be used for both voice communication and the door release function, and there was no way to replace those speakers without their exact match. either.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 at 8:58 PM