1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 10 Things I Love About DIRECTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Shades228, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
  2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It's Swanni, who cares? [sorry]

3. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I neither love nor hate DirecTV. I'm with them because I prefer them over any other provider out there, and I'm happy to pay a little more for good quality HD, rather than pay for horribly over compressed cable pictures. :)

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Their telemarketers suck, but call them up and you'll likely get free stuff? :lol:

5. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    I'm sorry, but one item he has on that list is just plain idiotic. The idea that because DirecTV is exclusively a video company that they care more about video delivery than other companies that provide internet and voice as well. He uses an example of Comcast. Let's set aside the fact that he provides nothing to back up his claim that Comcast was late to the HD expansion game because they were focused on beefing up internet and voice services... One example proves nothing. ESPECIALLY since the one example is Comcast. They were late to the game because they were late to the game, and they kept kicking the can down the road.

Note the action that Comcast recently took to handle their bandwidth crunch - they got rid of analogs. Something that many competing providers (RCN and Verizon just to name two) did over 2 years earlier. I do agree that DirecTV provided the spark that started the HD wars, and for that I'm very thankful (probably falls under his 'they're innovative' item, which I do agree with), but to believe that Comcast didn't move faster in increasing video bandwidth because they were focusing too much time on internet/voice is just beyond silly - it shows a lack of understanding about the industry in general that tells me that this guy is a boob. Especially since other cable providers took very serious steps to increasing bandwidth (beyond elimination of analogs, Verizon, e.g., expanded its QAM space and is migrating to IP, AT&T is already IP, TWC migrated to SDV, other providers are doing things like migrating to 1GHz QAM service - were they not also offering internet/voice services?).

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Brilliant as usual. Although I'm surprised he found 10 things... he's a real hater.

7. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    :goodjob: … Nos. 7, 8, and 9.

8. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I still think he should have posted the likes/dislikes at the same time..
    I am glad to see that the promissed followup article came just a few days later... i was actually expecting weeks later.

9. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I don't care what Swanni likes or dislikes. He steals most of his material and lies about the rest.

I like DirecTV because they over superior picture quality and the features I actually care about. That's enough for me.

10. Valve1138

Valve1138 Legend

Apr 26, 2008
    Who is this Swanni?

Seams like one of those guys who likes to seem smart by ripping things.

11. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Simply put, the DirecTV HR24 is a far better DVR in terms of features, storage space and nice looking software VS the local cable co. If it wasn't for that, I'd have cable only for more HD (since some areas like mine Cable is surpassing DirecTV). But it's only as good as the software used to control it.

12. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I like them because they raise prices every year

13. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    And better than the piece of junk TiVos in many ways, especially the UI

14. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    :lol:

That is classic

15. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    He did get something right.. no recent national HD channels added in a loooonnnnngggg time.

I want my Hist Int'l HD, AMC HD, TCM HD, and BBC America HD!

16. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I don't care what the all mighty Swanni thinks. I think he's a douche nozzle.

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    [​IMG]

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You could tell he had to really reach for "ten things" and he really had to reach in the Hate column. We're really giving him too much time on the forum.

Rich

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He had one of the first newsletters about HDTV. First one I saw. He was alright for a while, just an info compiler and re-distributer of that info and then he got the idea that people actually cared about his opinions. He then allowed comments on his opinions and quickly removed that feature when it didn't go the way he wanted it to.

Rich