The ACTIVE Feature; Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by 4yanx, Feb 7, 2008.

Would you sooner keep or lose the ACTIVE menu?

1. Keep it, I use and like its features.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep it, but I don't use it much.

22.4%
  3. Lose it, the resources could be better spent elsewhere.

77.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 7, 2008 #1 of 44
    4yanx

4yanx Legend

Jan 17, 2008
    Does anyone much use the ACTIVE menu and services? I have to admit that I've only poked my nose in a few times but, each time, could not wait to escape. Seems like it is only a weather/horoscope/lottery wasteland. Am I missing something.

2. Feb 7, 2008 #2 of 44
    Tahoe41

Tahoe41 Mentor

Jan 5, 2008
    Nope. I agree with you...sometimes helpful if you want the local weather for the next few days...but way too slow for the channel information to load....

3. Feb 7, 2008 #3 of 44
    loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I use it, and would probably use it a lot more if it was faster loading.

4. Feb 7, 2008 #4 of 44
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Never use it....EXCEPT Sunday Ticket where I use it constantly during games.

5. Feb 7, 2008 #5 of 44
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    If an the active button gives someone out there pleasure then who am I to tell them they cannot have it. Otherwise I never use it myself. I don't think we will get any extra resources from discontinuing this. It would free up a remote button.

6. Feb 7, 2008 #6 of 44
    4yanx

4yanx Legend

Jan 17, 2008
    Interesting. What do use it do do/see/watch? I am not challenging, just asking out of interest..

7. Feb 7, 2008 #7 of 44
    loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Good question, a couple of things we use it for is:
    1. We have family all over the country and have the weather preset to the locations of the families. With the 5 preset cities it makes it easy to look at the weather at their locations.

2. I find myself using the What's Hot listings when I am channel surfing. Many times I find something to watch that way.

8. Feb 7, 2008 #8 of 44
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like the active feature. I use it almost every morning to see the weather forecast and horoscope info (I mostly like the "today's birthdays" part of the horoscope even if a lot of the time the folks listed are dead ;) ). The "what's hot" feature is cool also.

Does anyone here remember Wink? That was the interactive feature DirecTV had before their latest (in house) version. It was GREAT!! On selected channels like TBS you got a preview of upcoming shows. Sometimes, you even got a pop-up asking you to vote on a commercial or ask if you wanted more info mailed to you. On the music channels (Music Choice at the time) you got a full-screen display on many channels with the title/artist and a PICTURE of the album. Plus, you could press a button on your remote and ORDER the album!! (I ordered a BUNCH)

I think the present active function would be much more popular if it got rid of all the stupid advertising (and that obnoxious picture-in-picture in the upper left corner pushing their subscription offerings) and used more bandwidth for features subscribers could enjoy and use. The "old" active screen offered upcoming viewing choices along with program descriptions for basic channels, "premium" channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) and sports channels (non-subscription like ESPN). This was interesting and helpful unlike the annoying picture-in-picture barker channel in the upper left corner.

It would also be a plus if on the R15 DVR taking a peek at the active channel didn't erase the 90 minute live buffer like it does now.

9. Feb 7, 2008 #9 of 44
    drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    i was thinking about this after i voted no....

ACTIVE should now run just as the DOD pages run (minus the internet requirement)
    the current channels should be minimized to the PIG like format rather than having thinks like PPV previews and Maltin Minutes going on in the little window.

Ohh and IMHO people with HR2*'s connected to the internet should be able to receiver the ACTIVE information through the connection for faster loading times.

10. atfree

atfree Mentor

Feb 1, 2007
    The only reason I use the Active channel is local weather, although it's very limited. What I'd prefer is for D*'s version on the Weather Channel to have your local forecasts like on cable providers (Local on the 8's). On D*, when it goes to local forecast, all you get is generic for big cities all over the country as opposed to the actual local forecast for your area that appears on cable. Not sure, but it must be a technological limitation of satellite vs. cable.

11. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    I curse ACTIVE every time I accidentally hit that friggin' button. I've considered cutting it out of the remote with an exacto knife.

12. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    +1

I second that.. :)

13. McCoyRJ

McCoyRJ AllStar

May 21, 2007
    Checked it out a few times, but never use it. I can get faster weather forecasts from my PC or The Weather Channel.

14. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I'm sure there are people who use the Active button, but it's not something I use. Just a novelty around my house, but I don't think it should be removed.

15. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    What resources would be freed by getting rid of it? If none, then the poll doesn't really make sense.

16. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    They may can't do away with it.. BUT they could fix it where it worked. And make is actually do something worthwhile.. And SPEED up the loading of it..

17. Cable_X

Cable_X Godfather

Nov 12, 2007
    I agree. I use it for weather, but it's painly slow. Now if they could load your local weather through an internet connection, that would be great!

18. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    OH OH they could give us the option, via a menu setting, to make it a shortcut to the TODO list. :lol:

But no I never use it.

19. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Never use Active, but I'm sure others use it heavily so it's important.

20. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I have used a a few times for novelty, but it is tooooo slooooowwwwwww to be of much real use for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.