The Amazing Race Contest: Final Results

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Final results for The Amazing Race Contest!

In 1st place, the grand prize goes to cdru. He's the winner of a computer. I had a bit of a choice for configurations, and cdru will take home a pretty nice system with an Athlon 2800+ processor, 512 MB of memory, 120GB hard drive, 64MB Radeon graphics card, 10/100 MB network, Fortissimo III 7.1 channel surround audio, XP Professional.

In second place, and having the honor of being the putz who just missed it, is saulres. He takes home a DVD of his choice, valued at $30 or less.

It was a fun game for me to run, and hopefully just as fun for you to play.

Thanks to Redster and Buzzdalf for contributions. Thanks to saulres for coding help on the webpage. Thanks to Mark Lamutt for the excel code and general support. Thanks for all the folks (Mark Holtz, saulres, rjenkins, Unthinkable and many others) who gave me suggestions (although I didn't use them all). Next season will have slightly revamped rules and hopefully as nice of a prize.

2. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    (Sung to the tune of "Officer Krupke") I'm a putz, I'm a putz, I'm a 2nd-place putz, deep inside, I'm nothing but a putz.

Congratulations again, cdru! Well played. Looks like you used the FF at just the right time, and your strategy of always staying behind Mark L. so he'd be considered the threat seems to have payed off. Use that strategy on Survivor island, and you'll be in good shape.

Of course, I saw through your scheme, which is why I chose to yield you on the week my yield took effect. Too little, too late, though :)

Danny, thank you so much for running this thing. It was an absolute blast to play, and I looked forward to it every week. I'm eagerly anticipating the next run. And if you need a little coding assistance to handle a tweaked rule, just ask! I promise not to put any "if user=saulres then totaltime = totaltime-10" lines in the code anywhere.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I think my timing of the FF really did help me. I wanted to wait to use the FF towards the end when it would make up for any mistakes I made earlier in the game, but I didn't want to chance using it the very last weeks when I knew many people would be gunning for it. The opportunity presented itself Week 8 when I found the ape skull's name very quickly so I seized it. I figured there would only be 3 other people who could use the FF in the next weeks so I took the chance. Luckily I continued doing decent but thought I was in trouble week 11 when Saul yielded me and Mark had a good week coming off of his fast forward. I didn't think at the time about staying behind Mark so that he was the bigger target then I was, but with my 20/20 hindsight, it was a great move on my part that worked out.

The yields and fastforwards and roadblockes definitely added more of a twist then what the Survivor contest did last go around. Not only do you have to play your game, but you have to watch out for how everyone else is playing their game and try to jockey yourself so that you aren't any more of a target or threat then the next schmoe, or in your case Saulres, putz.

4. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    Congratulation to both of you!
    A big thanks to Danny for running this!!

saulres - no adult titles, hehe.

5. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that :sure:

Thanks for sponsoring this. Sorry you didn't do better, but I think you actually have to play to have a chance at winning ;)

How should we handle this? Should I post here, contact Danny, contact you directly?

6. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks for all the work, Danny, and congrats to cdru and saulres.

7. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    RL got in the way there for the last few weeks of the game. ;)

I left you PM, you can contact me directly.

8. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Thanks Danny for all the hard work. The contest was fun although it wore me out at times. If I had just got the $64 question right for that last fast forward. :rolleyes: Who knows what could have been.

9. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Assuming you answered the same way and in the same time for the last two legs, I think you would have beat me by a day with 10 days. However, with you in the lead, you might have been a target for a yield like Mark was so who knows as you said.

10. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Whew... much to poor cdru's consternation because I took so long, I finally got his computer shipped out today to him.

Final specs:

Athlon 2800+
    1 GB memory (DDR333)
    128 ATI Radeon 9200 SE AGP video
    40GB ide hard drive
    CD Burner (nothing fancy)
    Firewire/USB2
    Fortissimo 7.1 surround sound w/ optical out
    10/100 integraded ethernet
    Windows XP Prof. & Office XP Prof. installed.
    keyboard/mouse
    pretty ugly case ;)

Hope you enjoy it. This season's contest is officially over.

11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    That's actually a fairly sweet system.

12. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    And if anyone else cares, I received my DVD from Buzzdalf yesterday. Thanks, Buzz! To Infinity --- and Beyond!

13. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    hehe. We were stuck on back order for a bit there, but now it's officially over.