The Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 1 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    The Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 1 QUESTIONS

Standard Weekly Questions. ANSWER ALL OF QUESTIONS 1 - 4. Then for the remaining three questions, follow the directions below:

Q1: Which team finishes first in week 1? Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day. If you wish to try for the bonus (see below), add the relevant information.

Alison/Donny - dating
    Bob/Joyce - internet dating couple
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Denis/Erika - once engaged
    Jim/Marsha - father daughter
    Kami/Karli - twins
    Linda/Karen - best friends
    Marshal/Lance - brothers

BONUS TIME - if there is a tie for first, each additional correct team you submit as tied subtracts a day from your score. If you state there is a tie and there is not, you miss the question. If one of the teams you offer is not tied for first, you miss the question.

-------------

Q2: Which team comes in last place this week? Select one of the answers below. If you wish to try for the bonus, add the relevant information.

Alison/Donny - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins
    Marshal/Lance - brothers

BONUS TIME: usually the last place team is eliminated. If you state that your last place pick is NOT ELIMINATED and are correct, one day will be subtracted from your time. If you are wrong in this assumption, the entire question will be marked as incorrect.

-------------

Q3: Which team (if any) uses the fast forward? Select one of the answers below. If you wish to try for the bonus, add the relevant information.

Alison/Donny - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    No team uses the Fast Forward

BONUS TIME: Subtact a day if you think more than one team attempts to use the fast forward but is blocked since its already been used. Subtract two days if you correctly guess which team that is. If you guess a 2nd team uses the FF and are wrong, the entire question will be incorrect. No penalty for misnaming the 2nd team however.

-------------

Q4: ROADBLOCK: What is the time difference between the 1st place team(s) and the last place team at the end of this week's leg of competition? Select one of the answers below. Getting this question correct will subtract 1 day from your time total. Miss it and you add 1 day.

< 60 seconds
    1 min < 5 min
    5 min < 10 min
    10 min < 30 min
    30 min < 60 min
    1 hour < 2 hrs
    2 hrs < 6 hrs
    6 hrs < 12 hrs
    12 hrs < 1 day
    > 1 day
    Final team never makes it to pitstop

-----------------------------------------------------

Scavenger Hunt Questions:

For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain the subject line of your email reflects your choice.

If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be given the worst possible time for that question. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

-------------

DETOUR 1: Rumor has it that The Amazing Race will begin at Santa Monica Pier. Its likely our teams will race from there to LAX to begin the contest. According to Mapquest, how far is it from the shore of Santa Monica Pier to LAX airport?

Provide in your email:
    Miles as listed on Mapquest

-------------

DETOUR 2: The Contest Coordinator (me!) wants to go and visit the locations seen while watching The Amazing Race show. Which route should I take that would get me to Santa Monica Pier earliest? I'm meeting friends at Georgia Institute of Technology on July 6th to watch the show, but am free to leave from there immediately after the first episode ends.

Provide:
    All verifiable route information. You don't need to list road by road. Just provide a mapquest link that shows the route, and bus/airline #s that can be verified.

NOTE: if you pick a route that is cancelled or delayed, that will be taken into account in judging this answer. Your placing for this detour is based not only on how quickly you respond, but how quickly your route is.

-------------

FAST FORWARD: Its rumored our contestants will be leaving LAX to fly to Buenos Aires in the first episode. Give me a flight # and airline for LAX to Buenos Aires that leaves anytime on July 6th. If the flight is cancelled on July 6th, you don't qualify for the FF. You don't have to find the earliest flight available.

(remember, the FF can only be used ONCE for this contest)

-----------------------------

TO ENTER THIS CONTEST, USE THE DBSTALK EMAIL TOOL (CLICK LINK BELOW) AND MAIL THE ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS (IN A SINGLE EMAIL FOR ALL QUESTIONS) TO:

Email The Unofficial DBSTalk.com The Amazing Race Contest Coordinator

You will receive an automatic reply email stating your entry has been received.

This weeks entries must be sent by 12:00 am July 6 accourding to DBSTalk.com time (as posted in your email header)!

2. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Q1: True
    Q2: True
    Q3: True
    Roadblock: True
    D2: True.

Was I the fastest?

Oh, shoot, I didn't e-mail them :(

3. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    hehe ;)

4. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Serious suggestion: Can you include a "mailto:" link when you post the questions each week, so we don't have to search for your e-mail?

5. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    If you look, an email link is provided above and also will be in all future posts.

It is not a mailto: link however, but goes through the DBSTalk email tool. The purpose of using DBSTalk's email tool is to provide a standard time stamp by which all entries can be judged.

Not only is the link in the post, but if you click on "Amazing Race Coordinator" link above the avatar, you'll see a dropdown menu that lists "send email to Amazing Race Coordinator" which is the same link as in the message.

6. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Thanks for explaining that dropdown menu; I was unfamiliar with that. As to the link, I'm not sure how I missed it. Maybe I'll ask at my next eye appointment. :icon_dumm

7. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    First week's questions are posted. Good luck everyone!

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    And just an incentive:

The prizes are a Pentium 4 computer for the winner (not state of the art, but not shabby either) and a DVD for the runner up.

Don't miss the 90-minute broadcast premiere of THE AMAZING RACE at a special time, 9:30PM ET/PT, Tuesday July 6th.

To familiarize yourself with the teams, visit the show's website: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race5/

Please remember to use the subject line of your message to state which of the final 3 questions you are answering. Failing to do so won't be penalized, except in that it takes me longer to summarize the results each week. ;)

9. Jul 1, 2004 #9 of 29
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    This week's TV guide has a biography section on the race contestants. No real spoilers though that I can tell.

10. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    Ohh MAN!!!
    I was gone on vacation and totally forgot about this starting tonight!
    Is it too late to enter week 1??

Just wanted to say - like the new avatar btw.

11. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Yes, I can't bend the rules that much. It would be unfair to the contestants who did enter on time.

However participation was very light - only ten entries :( , so entering during week 2 still puts you still in contention (new posters start off tied with the current last place contestant). With a fast forward available anybody has a chance to still get into the contest at almost any time. Of course one benefit to having so few players it that almost everyone should get a chance at using the fast forward and jumping back into the lead.

Current (and corrected) score sheet is attached. 9 people picked Detour 1. 1 person picked Detour 2. I'll upload the final scoresheet tonight after the show.

To refresh you on how the detours are scored: First person to answer for each detour gets a day taken off their time. The rest of the pack is divided into quarters and each quarter has an additional day added.

NEW QUESTIONS WILL BE POSTED AT 10PM Wednesday July 7th for the 2nd Leg of the race.

12. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Dude! Where's my entry?

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Ok, I found them. Sorry! My spam filter grabbed entries for Mark Lamutt, bgilmore and cdru

14. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Corrected entries are up. Hopefully that will be the only bug I'll have all contest. ;)

15. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    You don't honestly believe that you'll get off that easy, do you? Ah, Grasshopper...so naive...so much to learn... :D

16. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    1st place:
    Alison and Donny
    Last place:
    Dennis and Erika
    Fast Forward:
    No team... I'm currently wondering if its even part of this Race or if the Yield totally replaces it.

Time between 1st and Last is currently unknown... If the website doesn't clarify it, then at worst we should hopefully get an indicator by the start of the next show.

17. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Week 1 preliminary results are in the file below. Looks like the internet race is playing the biggest role thus far. That might change once the Roadblock results are tabulated and added in.

Mark, can you give me the excel code you used to mark what place a person is in? (Not that hard to determine manually, but might as well add it into the worksheet.)

18. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Damn...I didn't expect those results tonight...and I didn't expect this group of people to be as cutthroat and STUPID out of the gate either. Wow...

Danny, attached is one of the weekly spreadsheets that I used for the Survivor contest. Feel free to pull out whatever you want to use for your contest here from it.

19. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I'm amazed that some of the mistakes made didn't prove more costly.

20. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    So, is this season going to stay on Tuesdays?

I feel pretty good being tied for 11th place with 265 million other people :)
    How many days will I be starting with, 7?