The Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 2 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Jul 7, 2004 #1 of 18
    Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    The Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 2 QUESTIONS

Standard Weekly Questions. ANSWER ALL OF QUESTIONS 1 - 4. Then for the remaining three questions, follow the directions below:

Q1: Which team finishes first in week 2? Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day. If you wish to try for the bonus (see below), add the relevant information.

Alison/Donny - dating
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Linda/Karen - best friends
    Bob/Joyce - internet dating couple
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Kami/Karli - twins
    Jim/Marsha - father daughter

BONUS TIME - if there is a tie for first, each additional correct team you submit as tied subtracts a day from your score. If you state there is a tie and there is not, you miss the question. If one of the teams you offer is not tied for first, you miss the question.

-------------

Q2: Which team comes in last place this week? Select one of the answers below. If you wish to try for the bonus, add the relevant information.

Alison/Donny - dating
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

BONUS TIME: usually the last place team is eliminated. If you state that your last place pick is NOT ELIMINATED and are correct, one day will be subtracted from your time. If you are wrong in this assumption, the entire question will be marked as incorrect.

-------------

Q3: Which team uses the fast forward? Select one of the answers below. If you wish to try for the bonus, add the relevant information.

Alison/Donny - dating
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins
    No team uses the Fast Forward

BONUS TIME: Subtact a day if you think more than one team attempts to use the fast forward but is blocked since its already been used. Subtract two days if you correctly guess which team that is. If you guess a 2nd team uses the FF and are wrong, the entire question will be incorrect. No penalty for misnaming the 2nd team however.

-------------

Q4: YIELD: Which team uses the Yield this leg? Get the question right, and you gain the power to Yield another competitor in the competition, adding one day to their time. (state who you want to yield, or nobody if you want to pass). Answer correctly and remove a day from your time. Miss the question and no time is added. You can receive (be the victim of) a Yield any number of times. If the team you Yield also uses the Fast Forward, the Yield takes place AFTER the Fast Forward. You can use the Yield power only once for the entire contest.

Alison/Donny - dating
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins
    No team uses the Yield

BONUS: In addition to correctly identifying the team above, if you also correctly identify the team that is forced to Yield, you will subtract an additional day from your time. No penalty if you fail to identify them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scavenger Hunt:

For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain the subject line of your email reflects your choice.

If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be given the worst possible time for that question. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

-------------

DETOUR 1: As our race contestants wake up after their Pit Stop, a few of them might want to check the newspaper to see what's going on in the world. A paper they might find at their hotel is the "La Republica en la red". What is the largest headline on the front page of the print edition for Thursday, July 8th, 2004?
    -------------

DETOUR 2: Essential to any trip is a guidebook. With such, you can find out when tours might be held that you would otherwise miss. At what time can you take the free spanish tour of the site pictured below (see attached picture)?
    -------------

FAST FORWARD: Obviously you want to get out of Uruguay quickly. What site is located at 1776 Lauro Muller, Montevideo?
    (remember, the FF can only be used ONCE for this contest)

-----------------------------

TO ENTER THIS CONTEST, USE THE DBSTALK EMAIL TOOL (CLICK LINK BELOW) AND MAIL THE ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS (IN A SINGLE EMAIL FOR ALL QUESTIONS) TO:

Email The Unofficial DBSTalk.com The Amazing Race Contest Coordinator

You will receive an automatic reply email stating your entry has been received. Please mark which detour you pick in the subject line of your message to make it easier for me to sort the replies.

This weeks entries must be sent by 12:00 am July 13 accourding to DBSTalk.com time (as posted in your email header)!

2. Jul 7, 2004 #2 of 18
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    When times are given for when weekly questions will be posted, please include what time zone that time is for.

I first checked shortly after 10:00 MY time (Indiana - EST) and they had already been posted for 40 minutes earlier judging from the message time stamp.

Yeah it was my fault for not asking sooner or checking sooner. In the future it would be nice to know and I'm sure not all contestants are in the eastern time zone. Time is important here unlike in the Survivor contest.

Along the same line, if it was told that they would be posted at a certain time, try to get them posted at that time. If that time can't be met, post a message when the new time will be. It's not a fair contest for anyone (except the ultimate winner perhaps) when timing is random and you score based off of that random time.

3. Jul 7, 2004 #3 of 18
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny - the last time that July 9th fell on a Thursday was in 1998...are you telling me that you found an archive of that newspaper's front page from July 9, 1998? Good grief...and I thought that some of my questions were hard!

(Or, did you mean Thursday, July 8th?)

4. Jul 8, 2004 #4 of 18
    Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    D'oh. Yes, thursday as in tommorrow. If anyone actually got a copy of the 1998 version and already submitted it, I'll accept it (and be quite impressed!).

5. Jul 8, 2004 #5 of 18
    Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    When times are given for when weekly questions will be posted, please include what time zone that time is for.

Along the same line, if it was told that they would be posted at a certain time, try to get them posted at that time.

All times are Eastern (Atlanta). And yes, I do try and get them up close to the time I state. Took a bit longer tonight because of the uploaded picture. I had to cut it down in size because it seemed to take forever to load my original version (perhaps it was just too large)

6. Jul 8, 2004 #6 of 18
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    You may want to upload the picture as a .jpg instead of .bmp .

7. Jul 8, 2004 #7 of 18
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Here is the JPEG version. Much smaller in size.

Just curious, but for those of you who have answered, what do you think of the questions thus far? Are they too easy? How long did it take you to find the answer? PM me rather than posting. Obviously you don't want folks to know which route you took.

8. Jul 8, 2004 #8 of 18
    saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Although I've PMed you w/specifics, here's one comment I can make publicly. I was noticing that I didn't have to remember any of my voting until the very end of the show. W/the Survivor contest, there were questions that took place in the middle of the show (Rewards, Interviews, etc.) that enhanced the viewing experience throughout. Maybe you could add some questions like "Which team makes the largest drop in position at the first airport (if any)?", "How many teams choose the second detour (if any) over the first?", "On Team X, who performs the roadblock (if any)?", etc.

9. Jul 8, 2004 #9 of 18
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    You would have to be careful of how the the question is worded though. Editing can make it appear that several things happen in a certian order, but in reality they happened in opposite orders cronologically. I think statistically the best answer would always to choose "impossible to tell".

Now you could do "Which team does a 'confessional' first" or "What team is shown to reach the checkpoint first"

10. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Absolutely. I think I tried to cover that, though. If you look at the types of questions I suggest, none of them are timing issues. The first one, for example, is not "who loses the most time", but who "makes the largest drop". What I was thinking was something like this: Let's say, leaving the gate next week, the first place they go is an airport, where there are two flights. The first four teams get there and get on plane 1, the last six teams get on plane 2. If plane 1 arrives before plane 2, then team 1-4 are now tied for first, teams 5-10 are tied for 2nd. Essentially, team 1 has lost a 3-team lead, and team 5 has lost a 5-team lead, so the correct answer would be "team 5".

11. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    15 hour warning! Submissions will not be accepted after midnight tonight (eastern, Atlanta time)

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Week 2 Score Sheet is included below. (I'll update it with a revised version once results are in tonight)

Answers for Detour 1 (3 people took this route):
    http://www.diariolarepublica.com/2004/7julio/8/paginas/groupimage.gif

This was an easy search. Google the paper name, click on the link in the top left and you get the print edition. If you happened to check on a different day, you could just adjust the link address to find the correct picture.

Answers for Detour 2: (8 people took this route)
    First thing is to identify the location of the picture. The easiest words to read in the picture are "Familia Duarte", which if searched would tell you this is the tomb of the Duarte family, the most famous of which is Evita Peron. This tomb is located in La Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires (which the show should be visiting in tonight's episode). Strangely enough there is only one tour per month. Guidebooks vary on exactly when the tour starts, 2:30 or 2:45. However they all agree on the day.

Buzzdalf, you answered differently. However since you also answered last, it wouldn't make a difference if the answer was right or wrong.

Nobody took the Fast Forward. The US Embassy is located at 1776 Lauro Muller, Montevideo.

Week 3 Questions will be posted at 10PM Eastern Time (Atlanta) on Wednesday, July 13.

13. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    I didn't have a lot of time, so I just guessed. hehe

14. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Answers:
    1st place: Brandon/Nicole
    Last Place eliminated: Alison/Donny
    No FF, No Yield.

Here is the current spreadsheet. Nobody used Yield power.

15. rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    Danny,

Did you know about them visiting Evita's gravesite when you posted your Detour 2 question, or was it just a good guess/coincidence? I haven't been visiting any spoiler sites this game, so I was pleasantly surprised when they went to the same place one of your questions mentioned. :)

16. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    so I was pleasantly surprised when they went to the same place one of your questions mentioned.

Thats something I hoped would happen. Seeing the cemetery on screen and people here playing the game would recognize the place. Hopefully it was a positive thing and you didn't feel the show had been spoiled.

Likewise I tried to make the quesiton one that even if you did follow the spoiler sites, you wouldn't automatically know the answer or have all that much of an advantage over those who had no clue.

Spoiler sites do have an approximate idea of what locations the show will visit. The actual episodes are a bit foggy however still.

I knew they would be in that cemetery somepoint, as promotional vid-caps show teams running through the distinctive monuments found there. Evita's tomb wasn't ever shown, but was the logical choice for a destination, being the most famous person there.

17. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    So based on something in the previews, you did research, came up with the correct locale for them to visit and made a question of it, all w/o spoiling anything?

Damn I'm impressed! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

18. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Well, the spoiler sites identified the location from the previews. I'd have had no clue.