The Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 3 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    The Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 3 QUESTIONS
    Standard Weekly Questions. ANSWER ALL OF QUESTIONS 1 - 4. Then for the remaining three questions, follow the directions below:

Q1: Which team finishes first in week 3? Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Linda/Karen - best friends
    Bob/Joyce - internet dating couple
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Kami/Karli - twins
    Jim/Marsha - father daughter

-------------

Q2: Which team comes in last place this week? Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------

Q3: Last week the first place team went from first to worst. Which team this week makes the biggest improvement in their position during week 3? If there is a tie, all teams tieing for best improvement will be judged as correct. (for clarification, moving 9th - 8th, and 2nd - 1st are both 1 step improvements, and equal for this question) No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------

Q4: YIELD: What is the difference in time between the 1st and last place teams as they start the race in week 3? Get the answer correct, and you win the power to YIELD another contestant in our contest. Using the YIELD power can be used only once for the entire contest, although you may be victim of a Yield multiple times.
    Rather than me giving ranges, please just give me an approximate time. Person with the closest guess wins the Yield (which they may use or pass) AND subtracts a day from their time. No penalty for missing this question.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scavenger Hunt:

For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain the subject line of your email reflects your choice.

If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be given the worst possible time for that question.

ANSWER ONLY ONE!

-------------

DETOUR 1: This week we visited the grave of Evita Peron. However while she is undoubtably the most famous person entombed there, other graves might also be of interest. One such person is related to someone in the Line of Succession for the British throne. Who is this person, and what is their relationship?
    If more than one such person exists, this question will be judged as follows: Take the position of the relative in the line of Succession (Charles = 1, Henry = 3, etc) and add to that the distance of the relation (brother/father = 1, uncle/grandparent = 2, cousin/great-grandparent = 3, etc). People with the lowest score will place prior to those with higher answers.

-------------

DETOUR 2: [​IMG]
    Who is this chocolate named for, and what was she considered expert at?

-------------

FAST FORWARD: Our new 1st position team for Leg 2 is Brandon/Nicole. As some of you might know, Nicole is a beauty queen. If you want to jump to the head of the line, provide a link pointing to a picture of her posing in her swimsuit. This picture should include ONLY Nicole.(remember, the FF can only be used ONCE for this contest)

-----------------------------

TO ENTER THIS CONTEST, USE THE DBSTALK EMAIL TOOL (CLICK LINK FOUND IN FORUM) AND MAIL THE ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS (IN A SINGLE EMAIL FOR ALL QUESTIONS) TO:

Email The Unofficial DBSTalk.com The Amazing Race Contest Coordinator

This weeks entries must be sent by 12:00 am July 20 accourding to DBSTalk.com time (as posted in your email header)!

2. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    For those of you who haven't answered yet, remember that Danny doesn't accept American answers; he only accepts them in the official language of Buenos Aires.

Hey, if it worked for the Bowling Moms...

3. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    hehe... That was pretty sneaky.

I do however accept bribes in US dollars. ;)

Unthinkable/bgilmore. I send you an email about an alternate way to get the questions.

4. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Whats the standard bribe Danny,, I dont watch the show so can I slip you a Jackson every week and win the pc ?

5. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Grant me to pleasure of introducing you to the Benjamin's. ;)

6. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    Questions now posted. All submissions from this point forward till the polls close (12 am, July 20th Eastern) will be timed as if you started at 10:01 pm Eastern today. Have fun!

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Its the 13th hour. 13 hour warning!

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    FYI: Tommorrow is an election day in Georgia and I'll be working the polls all day. Thus its doubtful I'll have any updates till early morning on Wednesday sometime.

New questions will however be ready at 10pm Wednesday as usual.

9. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    New Standings:

1 bgilmore 4d
    1 CoriBright 4d
    3 JBKing 8d
    3 Mark Lamutt 8d
    3 Tusk 8d
    6 saulres 12d
    7 cdru 13d
    8 Buzzdalf 16d
    8 Marvin 16d
    8 rjenkins 16d
    11 Unthinkable 18d

Official results are in the excel file attached below.

bgilmore used a Fast Forward and is now tied with CoriBright for the lead. Both are now 4 days ahead of their nearest competition.

Correct Answers:
    Q1: Colin/Christie
    Q2: Jim/Marsha
    Q3: Kimi/Karli
    Q4: 1 hr 23 min (saulres wins it, but didn't designate a person to be yielded)

D1: Susan Barrantes is buried in Recoleta, she was the mother of Sarah
    Ferguson, Duchess of York who was married to Andrew, Duke of York, second
    son (third child) of Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth. Prince Andrew is
    FOURTH in line to the throne, coming after His Royal Highness, Prince
    Charles and his two sonsm Prince William and Prince Harry.

http://www.fact-index.com/s/su/susan_barrantes.html

D2: The name of this company is in tribute to its grandmother
    Elisa Creton de Goye. She did not make chocolates but she was an expert in
    making cakes

http://www.patagonia.com.ar/rionegro/bariloche/broger.php

FF: http://www.globalbeauties.com/gb/coverage/images1/usa03_texas.jpg

Unfortunately that page doesn't come up reliably. A thumbnail of the image in question is here:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=usa03_texas

New questions will go online tonight (7/21/04) at 10 pm Eastern.

I've attached a much better resolution picture of Nicole in her swimsuit. ;)

10. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Cool, I did much better this week! I like being able to request the questions in my own time. Course, I beat out JBKing by less than 2 minutes for the Detour 2 question! :D

Danny - what time will the Week 4 questions be available for request tonight? I have to answer them asap tonight, as I'm flying out of here early, early tomorrow morning for the next 8 days.

11. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    10 pm tonight eastern, barring unexpected problems.

12. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    That's what I thought and was hoping for. :)

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Interesting results. Detour 1 actually turned out harder than Detour 2 this time.

I figured the opposite would be true, since Detour 2 required browsing some spanish webpages. But I guess with today's instant web translators that wasn't as difficult.

14. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah, it took me about 3 minutes before I realized that Google had a 'translate' link. :(

Mark, take your time answering the questions tonight! ;)

15. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    I remembered seeing the answer for #1 in my search for the answer about the Cemetary the previous week, but it took me a while to find the same website again.

16. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Cool! At least I figured something out correctly! :)

Did I have to specify someone on this pass? I didn't realize that. I thought we were playing to get one, which we could use later. Ah, well, at least I lost a day for it :)

17. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Oops, sorry I wasn't clear in this question (I was more detailed the first week I included it). But yes, in all future yields if you wish to use it, please state who you wish to use it on. Unfortunately its not fair to let you use it now, since you now know how other people faired this round (which you otherwise wouldn't know)

While during the 1st week I thought I had a bad question here, I really like how with a little editing it works really well.

Watching the show and we can see people come in, but without knowing what the time is its really fun to try and guess what the gap is between them.