The Amazing Race Contest: Week 4 Questions

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    This week's questions are now available.

To enter the contest, use the DBSTalk email tool and send a short email with the subject line of START. An autoreply will be sent back to you containing the questions for this week.

Email The Unofficial DBSTalk.com The Amazing Race Contest Coordinator

Once you receive the questions, answer them, and in a single message, use the tool again to send them back. Use the Subject Line to label the route you have taken.

You will be scored in part by the time it takes between first requesting the message, and the point when you send in the answers.

This weeks entries must be sent by 12:00 am July 27 accourding to DBSTalk.com time (as posted in your email header)!

This week the questions will NOT be posted publicly on saturday. All entries will be based on the timed system.

bgilmore, unthinkable: Same procedure as last week. You can use the FTP site I emailed you about last week to grab the questions if the autoreply doesn't send them to you. Only use the FTP site after you've sent a START message. If you need the address again, PM Danny_R

2. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Someone asked me if its too late to join the fun. Absolutely not!

While you would start the game tied for last place, that doesn't mean you don't have a chance. One particular trait about this game is that each week (but the last) there is one Fast Forward available to those who want to try for it. This will put you back in the game and tied for 1st place.

Obviously however as the weeks go on it will be harder and harder to grab that elusive prize as others will also be guning for it. Miss the FF, and you are heavily penalized as well.

BTW, the reason why the questions won't be made public on Saturday is because I will be out of town over the weekend. That feature will return next week (posting them on Saturday helps counter those who might wait for last minute spoiler sites to reveal their picks)

3. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    This weeks polls close tommorrow at midnight. Get your answers in while you can!

Week 5 will bring something slightly different. I've gotten the questions integrated into a webpage, so no more worries if the autoreplies are late or absent.

4. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Everyone welcome our two newest contestants, TStorms and lowjeep.

TStorms decided to get aggressive quickly, and took the Fast Forward. He'll be tied in first place at the end of this week's competition.

The Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 4 QUESTIONS

Standard Weekly Questions. ANSWER ALL OF QUESTIONS 1 - 4. Then for the
    remaining three questions, follow the directions below:

Q1: Which team finishes first in week 4? Answer correctly and no time will
    be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Linda/Karen - best friends
    Bob/Joyce - internet dating couple
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------

Q2: Which team comes in last place this week? Select one of the answers
    below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for
    incorrect.

Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------

Q3: Which team this week falls the most in position from where they
    started the leg? (without being eliminated)

Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------

Q4: YIELD: What is the difference in time between the 1st and last place
    teams as they start the race in week 4?
    Get the answer correct, and you
    win the power to YIELD another contestant in our contest. Using the YIELD
    power can be used only once for the entire contest, although you may be
    victim of a Yield multiple times. Rather than me giving ranges, please
    just give me an approximate time. Person with the closest guess wins the
    Yield (which they may use or pass) AND subtracts a day from their time.
    No penalty for missing this question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------

Scavenger Hunt:

For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose
    between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward
    only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not
    successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain
    the subject line of your email reflects your choice.

If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how
    quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in.
    A wrong answer will be given the worst possible time for that question.
    ANSWER ONLY ONE!

-------------

DETOUR 1: Our teams travel to Russia in this leg. Russians take their
    sports very seriously. Unfortunately the person who wore this jersey
    is no longer with us today, having died in an auto accident. What is the number of the closest distance marker along the road where he met his death and what is inscribed on the memorial placed there?
    [​IMG]

-------------

DETOUR 2: While in Russia this week it appears the teams might sample
    some caviar. This is a pretty expensive dish. Provide a link that shows
    the price of 1000 grams of Russian Beluga 000 Malossol Caviar in dollars.
    (Please make certain its this version of caviar and that your link works
    too!) For this detour, your score will be based first on which caviar is
    the most expensive, and then by the time submitted if someone provides the
    same price as you. i.e. Someone submitting the final day with the highest
    price takes priority.

-------------

FAST FORWARD: Colin and Christie took 1st place in the third leg. What is
    Christie's birthdate?

-------------

Answers to the Scavenger Hunt Questions:

Detour 1: The death of Soviet star Valery Kharlamov in the summer of 1981 shocked the hockey world. Kharlamov's wife, Irina, was at the wheel that August night when their car skidded on a slippery road on the outskirts of Moscow and veered into the path of an oncoming truck. Both Irina and Valery were killed. His death was the first in a series of auto accidents that would plague Soviet hockey for the next decade and heads a list of more than a dozen of the country's top talents who have died under tragic circumstances during the past 30 years.

A memorial was placed near the 73rd kilometer of Moscow-St. Petersburg highway where the crash took place. When translated into english, it reads "The star of Russian hockey fell here"

Detour 2: $4077.22 for a 1000 gram tin was the price most often quoted by contestants. Russian Beluga "000" Caviar Malossol is one of the most sought after caviars in the world, rivaled only by the Iranian version of the same variety, which is illegal in the United States. Other varieties of caviar however can be found for much cheaper prices, but the large size of the eggs, a light-to-dark gray color and delicate buttery flavor of the Beluga 000 Malossol are without equal.

Fast Forward: Christie was born on October 21st, 1977. To find this information, you first had to locate her full name, Christie Lee Woods. This could be done by reading the Amazing Race biography and discovering that Christie was named Miss Teen USA 1996 and then searching pageant information elsewhere. She was 18 at the time. A google search of "Christie Lee Woods" 1996 birthday gives the answer.

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    One thing is certain, Danny. You are assembling some very good questions.

6. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Danny,

Q3 asks for "biggest decrease", but the spreadsheet column says "biggest increase". You giving 5 points for catching mistakes like Mark did? :D

7. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Wow, someone thinks I'm that much of a threat they yielded me? They should have looked at my previous results in Survivor contests! I'm flattered, but now I'm feeling vindictive!

8. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    I think I tried to yield you, too, Cori, but it's not on the spreadsheet. I wonder if Danny didn't put them all in or if no one learned from my mistake last week.

9. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Q3 asks for "biggest decrease", but the spreadsheet column says "biggest increase". You giving 5 points for catching mistakes like Mark did?

Nope, no bonus for error correction. Anyway, I already caught that one, but haven't uploaded that version yet. *grin*

Saulres, I did miss the fact that you did yield him too. I've added that to my worksheet and it will appear tonight with the final results. (Best hope neither of them get close CoriBright!)

And I'll post this when I post the questions as well, but next week features a new rule as well.

----

Also, a heads up about what will happen for next week's questions. Once I have the questions ready, I'll post a message in the forum stating so. This will be no later than 10pm Wednesday night.

That message will hold a link to a website. You will go to the website, and there will be presented with a START button. Once you click that start button, you'll go to a web page that holds the questions, and your time will then start. No more delays waiting for email to get back to you and no more problems for those rare folks who could never get the emails.

The page with the questions is a web form. You just fill in the fields and when you are done, click submit. Your answers will be emailed back to the address you specify.

With this new system, I'll no longer be posting the questions on Saturday after all. Rather, I'll be implementing a time penalty if you answer Saturday or later.

Request the questions on Saturday, and you recieve a 1 minute time penalty on the scavenger hunt.

Requesting them on Sunday is a 10 minute penalty.

Monday is a 30 minute penalty.

The purpose of these penalties is to help counter those who might visit spoiler sites that reveal the answers. Thus far I've yet to really find one that is accurate, but who knows.

10. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    I know I'm in the minority on these boards but I'm definitely FEMALE!

Oh just you guys wait till next week! And I still have a Fast Forward in reserve as well. So, who's interested in an alliance? <big evil grin>

11. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Checked mine and I'm pretty sure I was gender-neutral :)

I thought the time unit was days :confused: Penalizing poeple just a few minutes doesn't seem like it would help.

Too bad you're not doing the 5 points (where 1 point = 1 day) :lol:

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The time penalty is added to your actual response time. Its not part of the game clock. In other words, if you answer on Saturday and it takes you 10 minutes to submit your answers, you would be scored as if you took 11 minutes. Thus waiting till monday can have a significant effect on your scavenger score, which counters the possible benefit you might get by waiting for spoilers on the standard questions.

I'm definitely FEMALE!

Oops, my apologies. ;)

13. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Final results for Week 4 are below. The optional yield wasn't put into play, although two folks tried to use it.

1 bgilmore 8d
    1 Tstorms 8d
    3 Mark Lamutt 10d
    4 CoriBright 11d
    4 Tusk 11d
    4 JBKing 11d
    7 saulres 13d
    8 cdru 18d
    9 rjenkins 20d
    9 Buzzdalf 20d
    11 Marvin 22d
    11 Unthinkable 22d
    11 lowjeep 22d

Other results for the standard questions are listed below:
    Team finishing first this leg: Chip/Kim

Team finishing last: Bob/Joyce

Team who's position worstened the most: Bob/Joyce dropped 4 positions. However they were eliminated, thus putting a three way tie between Charla/Mirna, Brandon/Nicole and Kami/Karli. Each of these teams dropped two positions. Everyone who named any of them is considered correct.

Gap between first and last place teams at start of leg: 2 hrs 24 minutes

14. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    Danny,
    Why did bgilmore get 1 day added for the yield?

Thanks,
    TStorms

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    bgilmore had the time most distant from the answer.

(I see the question I posted above came from an older file... however during the week everyone saw the version below, so no change in the ruling.)

Q4: YIELD: What is the difference in time between the 1st and last place teams as they start the race in week 4? Get the answer correct, and you win the power to YIELD another contestant in our contest. Using the YIELD power can be used only once for the entire contest, although you may be victim of a Yield multiple times. Rather than me giving ranges, please just give me an approximate time. Person with the closest guess wins the Yield (which they may use or pass) AND subtracts a day from their time. The person with the guess furthest away (or all those who don't answer) is automatically yielded a day. For the rest of the pack there is no penalty.