1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Amazing Race "I Feel Like I'm in, Like, Sicily" : OAD 4/25/2010

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by jodyguercio, Apr 26, 2010.

1. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    We didn't get to watch yet, but I cheated and looked at the re-cap (can't tell my wife). Our buddies Jet and Cord look to be positioning themselves nicely for the final two legs.

2. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    They did awesome and seem to be peaking at the right time.

Michael & Louie need to step it up or the whiny brothers are going to make the final 3.

3. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I would love to see the models win the money only because it would piss off the lesbians so much.

4. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Jet and Cord did a great job. I thought the cards would take longer as there seemed to be quite a few blowing away. I was thinking towards the end that Brent and Caite had U-turned the right pair last time since the tecs looked to be out. Good luck for them though with non-elimination, especially if they are all on the same plane out, which I expect. They still have a shot.

And for those thinking it's Caite who is always saying something ridiculous, please note that it was Brent who mixed up Venice and Siciliy. :D

I noticed at the end that with the credits it read,"In memoriam, HE PingPing." He looked to be in good health on the show, but I would guess he was never in robust health. Apparently he died on my birthday. :( From Wikipedia:

This is a Chinese name; the family name is He.
    He Pingping (Chinese: 何平平; pinyin: Hé Píngpíng; July 13, 1988 – March 13, 2010[1]) was, according to the Guinness World Records, the world's shortest man who was able to walk.[2][3]

Contents [hide]
    1 Early and personal life
    2 Recognition of size
    3 Death
    4 See also
    5 References

[edit] Early and personal life
    He measured 74 cm (2 ft 5 in) tall,[4] and was the third child of a family in Huade county, in the city of Ulanqab in northern China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. He had two sisters, one who stands at 7 feet tall. According to his father, He Yun, at birth He Pingping was small enough to fit in the palm of his parents' hands. When it became apparent the child was growing very slowly, doctors diagnosed the cause as the bone deformity osteogenesis imperfecta, which hinders normal bone growth and body height. He was a chain smoker.[5]

[edit] Recognition of size
    In January 2007, He was invited to take part on a television program in Tokyo, Japan and became an internet icon. His home of Inner Mongolia is also home to Bao Xishun, who at 2.36 metres tall was recognized by Guinness as the world's tallest man until September 2009.[6] Their televised meeting in July 2007 attracted global media attention.[7][8][9] In May 2008 he appeared in the British Channel 4 documentary called The World's Smallest Man and Me hosted by Mark Dolan.[10] In September 2008 he appeared with the world's longest-legged woman, Svetlana Pankratova, in London's Trafalgar Square, to publicize the release of the 2009 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records.[3]

In 2006 Guinness World Records disallowed an application from a then fourteen-year-old Nepalese boy, Khagendra Thapa Magar, who measures 53 cm but will review the case once he reaches 18 years of age October 2009. A Jordanian man who claims to be the world's shortest man, Younis Edwan, has not been officially measured by Guinness.

Following his January 2007 appearance on television, He's status as the world's shortest walking man was verified by Guinness World Records.[2] His height was measured three times over the course of 10 hours before he received a certificate officially naming him as the world’s shortest walking man.[2]

In September 2008, He traveled to New York City to help launch the 2009 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records, which certified him as the world's smallest walking man.[2]

On April 25, 2010, he was featured in an episode of the American reality show, The Amazing Race, filmed earlier in Shanghai. The episode was dedicated in his memory.

[edit] Death
    He was admitted to a hospital on 3 March 2010 in Rome, Italy after complaining of chest pains. He had been filming Lo show dei record.[11] He died on March 13, 2010 at the age of twenty-one of heart complications.[12] The Guinness World Records editor-in-chief, Craig Glenday, said that he was "an inspiration to anyone considered different or unusual."[11]

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I was sad to hear he had passed .. Thoroughly enjoyed the show, though. I was surprised to see how well Jet handled the pasta .. gave them a nice head start.

I suppose the taxi ride wasn't such a help for the detectives and the brothers ..

6. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Well I can only guess that swinging pasta around must be a lot liking throwing a lasso. Lots of wrist action.

7. Scottwerks

Scottwerks New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks for posting about PingPing, I'll have to show this to my wife. We noticed the show was dedicated to him. I was cracking up at that cigarette, looked like a stogy hanging out of his mouth.
    If past seasons are any indication, Karma plays a huge part in a team's success on The Amazing Race, as well as focus under pressure and a solid work ethic, so Jet and Cord are on the right track. Oops, now I just jinxed them! Well they've been my favorite players regardless.

8. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    We had a big laugh about the pasta because just before TAR, we watched Chef vs. City, and one of the challenges was making pasta noodles by hand.......

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't think I even want to imagine being a chain smoker would do to someone that small. Adding that to the various medical issues that cause the small size to begin with, there's not much chance of a long life.