The Amazing Race: Now accepting applications

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    It appears that the strong ratings for The Amazing Race are paying off. CBS is now accepting applications for Season 7. (Season 5 is airing now, and Season 6 will air in the fall)

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race_application/eligibility.pdf

I'm going to be applying with my brother, but multiple entries are allowed if the teams are not the same. Anyone interested in submitting a "internet forum members" team with me?

The concept of such a video might be enough to get us noticed. Spliced video segments from people who've never physically met each other, but know one another only by way of web forum.

Show will be taped in or around November 2004 for 30 or 40 days.

2. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Sounds like fun, my job wouldnt allow it. But a team from here would definitely make the show worth watching.. :D

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I'm going to chat with a buddy of mine. But, it's finally nice that the show is getting the recognition it deserves.

4. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I think that is a fantastic idea! That might just raise enough eyebrows to make the cut. I would love to do it, but I'd have to convince quite a few people first, i.e. wife and employer namely. I doubt it will happen, but I'll have to think about this. :)

5. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    I've always wanted to participate. My sister and I submitted an entry for season 2 but didn't hear anything.

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    My sister and I submitted an entry for season 2 but didn't hear anything.

Let me know if you are interested then. You can't reapply with your sister unfortunately.
    I think we might make an interesting team as well. Being gay, you obviously have an advantage since every show needs its token gay guy. ;)

Having two guys together in a team, one of which is gay, the other straight is something new as well. *grin*.

I'm quite serious about applying btw. Obviously if you want to "promote" yourself in that way would be your own business though.

7. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    I'm definitely interested. I have nothing else to do. :) I think I'd have a great chance at it since I am pretty well-traveled (have been to six of the seven continents) and at least understand enough spanish, french, and italian to get by.

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I'd be a bit of a handicap travel wise. I've never left the country, and know no foreign languages (with 3 years of latin and french, and a year helping my wife with Greek, I can often get the gist of something I read written in any romantic language though).

I'm an aggressive Atlanta driver, rarely get lost and have a great sense of direction however. I'm also great with maps and geography and research and won't be intimidated by any challenge. Going into this I'd probably treat it a business and spend all my spare time between now and then researching airports and travel destinations.

9. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Which makes you exactly the type of person that is horrible for television. They want people who only speak bad english and have little understanding of foreign languages. Or people who have never been more then a mile from their home, let alone a foreign country that they don't even know where it is on a globe. Physical characteristics, a la Charla/Mirna, are an added bonus. Watching midget skate in a goalies outfit = ratings.

Danny would be a better contestant, although his eagerness might be a handicap. Producers would rather have more people like Nicole and Christie having trouble downing 1kg of caviar then someone like Chip who just sucks it down.

I'd like to be a contestant, but I'm not exactly sure how my boss will take it when I ask for 40 days off.

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I'd like to be a contestant, but I'm not exactly sure how my boss will take it when I ask for 40 days off.

Thats a problem for me too. However I do have well over 40 days leave built up, and November is a pretty calm month where I work.

11. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    FYI, someone (I think it was a moderator even) from one of the reality TV forums out there was already on AR 2 or 3 with his father, they were like 2nd out IIRC.

12. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    I'd do it, but I don't think we'd win, because I won't do anything that brings in money (my definition of "work") on the Jewish Sabbath, from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. I think we'd be in big trouble :nono:

13. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Since I don't work, it wouldn't be a problem for me. And I don't think my travel experience would be a detriment, as there have been plenty of people in previous seasons who have travelled extensively.

My only weakness would be in the "eating wierd food" scenes. I don't care if they waved a million dollars right under my nose and said it was definitely mine, I simply could not eat some of those things they've been asked to eat. The caviar would have gone untouched by me, I couldn't even watch others eating it. One attempt to put it in my mouth and I'd have been heaving my insides out right there. I'll jump off buildings, swim raging rivers, tackle rampaging wildebeasts, wade through garbage heaps... but I simply cannot eat a live octopus nor 2 pounds of nasty caviar.

I'm definitely game for submitting an application if you're interested.

14. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    but I simply cannot eat a live octopus nor 2 pounds of nasty caviar.

I think I could handle that if only by brute will. Goodness knows my mother made me eat my veggies as a child and I forced those nasty things down.

The trick of course is realizing which roadblock is the food competition. The clues might or might not give it away.

I'm definitely game for submitting an application if you're interested.

First hurdle for me is getting a passport.

I'm going to check the first of next week and see if its even possible to get a passport in the short time frame available here (I don't have one). The application only requires proof you've applied, but I presume if you don't actually have it in hand at the start of the show you obviously won't be going anywhere. Last I heard the wait was still extremely long, and November is only three months away.

I'll let you know Tuesday what they say, and we can work from there.

Second hurdle: Do you have a camcorder? I don't, although I'm sure I could borrow one if needed.

Third goal: think of what to say in the 3 minutes we have to introduce ourselves.

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Takes about 6 weeks. Can be expediated to even less if need be but it costs extra. Money makes an excellet lubricant to get wheels turning. :)

Check out local colleges, high schools, or public television stations. Many might allow you to tape something afterhours.

16. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    So far it has always been relatively easy to guess what the food competition will be from the given clues.
    It doesn't really take that long to get one, my partner got his a couple of months ago in less than 3 weeks, but he used the expedited method (which costs more). Even the regular method should get you a passport in less than 6 weeks.
    Yep. I have a Panasonic Hi-8 camcorder and tripod with remote control. It's easy to connect it to my PC for transferring the video to my computer, editing it, then outputing it to VHS tape for submission.
    Yeah, that was the hardest part when my sister and I did our tape. She was in Virginia, me here, so I taped my part, mailed the tape to her (she has a Hi-8 camcorder too) and she added her part. I think they would prefer both people tape their stuff together, though.

17. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    You can definitely get a passprort quickly, I think, if you are willing to pay an expediter, you can get it in days if needed.