1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Anti Dish commericals are getting worse

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Austin316, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austin316

Austin316 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 9, 2007
    First DTV singled out Dish for being the only one with out tampa locals in HD.

Now they are attacking the repeative content on Voom. The lack of major networks which was funny as they started running down a list of hd channels that they had and dish did not and what were the first two USA and SciFi then FX and they spouted off a few other ones .

I know Charlie does things his own way but I dont know how much longer Dish customers will hold out when they are surrounded on the air waves with negative dish adds and the truth is that it is the truth.

I am sorry but Voom is great but it sucks. with in the first 2 weeks of having Dish HD I saw everything twice on voom. But the lack of compelling content is killing me.

For me it is not about quantity of HD ( example VOOM) as it so much quality HD 3 or 4 shows on a network that are in HD but it being fresh compelling content.

2. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Why would someone with Dish Network see a commercial being shown on DTV?

We stick with Dish because it has consistantly been cheaper than DTV. No other reason!

3. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007

They are attacking for good reason, everyone else knows that Dish is hurting right now, many people are leaving for other satellite or cable providers, I have said I have HD only pack with dish, and Comcast HD, now yesterday Comcast just caught up in HD to Dish, so I'm now I'm shootin around why pay for the HD pack for Dish? I get more now with Comcast, minus Voom, other than that SCI-FI just went live in HD on Comcast, so I have a desicion to make, wait another week or 2 on Dish, or drop them now

4. bills

bills Legend

Nov 7, 2002
    i believe that directv is the leader in hd, but there receivers are junk compaired to dish receivers. just my opinion.... regards

5. coldmiser

coldmiser Legend

Mar 10, 2007
    As stated above Dish is hurting and they are doing what they can to capitalize on that.

I myself have not been happy with Dish for a while now and all of these little things like the VOOM channels repeating 2 shows all day, and no USA or SCI FI yet, are just icing on the cake for me.

6. UGAChance

UGAChance AllStar

May 18, 2007
    DISH is not hurting... they have been preparing.

You should get prepared for what is coming.

7. bdneuman

bdneuman New Member

May 11, 2006
    Sounds prophetic...

8. Austin316

Austin316 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 9, 2007

They are hurting when a local DTV dealer who is a old family friend is getting some 20 installs a week that are old dish customers. Most of them have HDtv setups.

Loosing customers = Hurting.

The DTV Ads are running on Radio to clarify that incase anyone was wondering.

I probably wouldnt mind waiting for new HD if voom was not getting so damn repeatitive. New content = Happy customers.

9. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    At least now you can save $10 a month by dropping Voom and going to the HD Essentials package.

I still have about 8 months left on my contract with Dish, but I don't see any reason to leave. My hardware is excellent, especially the 622, and I am very satisfied with my channel selection.

10. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    I think that DISH is losing some customers in some markets because of their own mistakes. I know at least 10 people in my area that have switched vendors in the last year or so for several reasons. A couple of people changed because DISH refuses to carry our local CW station (both DirecTV and the local cable companies carry it). Several have switched because DISH has some channels that they want in and DISH puts them in a higher tier packages than DirecTV does. And, as you might expect, DirecTV is "picking up" a lot of the customers that want more HD. DISH needs to do something in the HD area because that is where the high end customers are and, currently, they are not getting a lot of them in this area or, in some cases, keeping the ones that they have.

11. bills

bills Legend

Nov 7, 2002
    an article on msn money states that directv is going to weed out bad customers so to speak,there going to focus on quality subscribers. it is a good article to read about where this company is going. it won't be long before dish will follow. i think what CEO chase carey is saying is they don't want substanderd americans as customers. mods if this is not the right thread please move. a lot can be read into this article read it ...regards

12. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    They didn't with me, I raked em, when they told me I had to pay to get out of the contract, I played the recording of the CSR telling me I can get out with no charge:lol:

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From Forbes on the DirecTV lower quarterly profit compared to a 16.6% increase in revenue:
    There is alot of speculation about what this means, including the Motley Fool turning the Dish excuse that its higher churn was because of the sub-prime issue into a hit about Dish's credit policies based on incorrect facts.

But the fact is D* used its money to buy (ok...attract) alot of high-end HD subscribers most of whom don't care about the DVR differences. They are attracting alot of cable customers who won't be there for Dish. Charlie used his money to buy another company and pay attorneys in the TiVo case.

Direct is probably getting a meaningful number of Dish customers and that will continue to succeed so long as E* doesn't turn on a few new key HD channels and continues to pretend that issue doesn't deserve some open discussion with its HD subscriber base.

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Well go with Comcast and pay double after your promotion is up. I've been down the grimy cable....

15. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    E* consistently cheaper is incorrect. I just added D* HDDVR Plus Package and a second DVR. Monthly cost before the 2008 price increase is $75. With E* my monthly cost with AT250, HD and 2 DVRs was $91. Locals $5 more.
    Total E* cost $96. Both tiers on E* and D* are similar. I really do not know how E* is going to continue to get away with charging for locals. Neither D*, cable, Verizon or U Verse charge for locals.
    E* provides four HD locals in my area and charges $5. D* provides six HD locals. Comcast provides eight HD locals and Verizon provides 14 HD locals.

16. jpeckinp

jpeckinp Legend

Nov 5, 2006
    Not if you want to keep HDNet Movies. How convenient that it got placed in the HD Premium package with all of the Voom channels. I'm paying $10 just for HDNet movies and the one possibly two shows that I might watch on Voom.

17. jpeckinp

jpeckinp Legend

Nov 5, 2006
    I agree while I was with D* my service was cheaper and just like with E* I have their top of the line package. I pay $118/mo with E* and paid $104/mo with D*.
    Only reason I switched was because D* is going to use a sat at 99 and I can't get a LOS at that angle.

18. Gilitar

Gilitar Legend

Jul 31, 2004
    Equipment is the reason I am with Dish. Also there is less rain fade to boot. When they add a few more HD channels all will be good. I for one am happy for the most part.

19. Vidfreek

Vidfreek Cool Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I'm happy and pissed at the same time, right after I switched from my Cable provider they go and add everything I currently want to get (Scifi, USA and Chiller) but I still really enjoy my Dish and the DVR I got from them, so I guess I dont mind waiting

Until Direct stops charging so much for their HD DVR box I will never go with them, I shouldnt have to pay up front for anything, Dish didnt do it when I signed up and no cable provider charges you to "use" their HD DVR either, Direct needs to get with the program and start with the free boxes with service like everyone else does

20. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007

Na, I'm fine, The package I can get witht them will be the same monthly as I used to pay with Dish(79.00) after the promotion, plus I'll get more HD anyway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.