1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the best resoloution and best picture HDTV

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by ibooksrule, May 2, 2004.

1. May 2, 2004 #1 of 14
    ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    i want to know what the best resoltion HDTV is. im looking for something that will be great for displaying wide screen dvds on and some sd and some hd content from satellite. i have seen some tvs that seem like when showing something off dvd and its grainy and some dont seem to have as good of a picture and some people say crt is better some say lcos some say lcd so what have you had experiences with and what have you all felt has the best picture and best pixel count. is there a web ste where i could compare resoulton display and so forth and compare these features and pixel counts and so forth.
    thanks in advance

2. May 3, 2004 #2 of 14
    Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    This is a holy war topic, meaning it's like religion. Everyone has their own view, and no two views will exactly match. Hence, asking "what is the best" will simply get you a bunch of different opinions.

I think you're going to have to do your own research here and come up with more stringent criteria than just "Good DVD, good SD, good HD". Perhaps you should be going to a Tweeter or such to audition sets?

3. May 3, 2004 #3 of 14
    mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    your going to find that everyone is different. I say single CRT, due to the numerous reviews that state that fact. certain brands tend to be better than others, such a Sony in the Single HD-CRT market as being one of the best.

4. May 7, 2004 #4 of 14
    HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    Check out the 3x9" CRT and 3-chip Mustang HD2+ DLP projectors from Runco and Barco. They will run you somewhere between $39,000 to $119,000. To get the best performance from them with SD material you will want a top-of-the-line Farouja scaler/decoder ($10,000-25,000). A good motorized masking screen will run $2500-5000 depending upon size & materials.

Enjoy!

5. May 8, 2004 #5 of 14
    olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    I think the movie theater Christie does a better job. i think it's under 100k add a Quvis hard drive, buy a motion picture house and you're set.
    http://www.christiedigital.com/portfolios/ci-port.asp

6. ayalbaram

ayalbaram Legend

Aug 4, 2003
    Look at the Studio Experiance model 50HD Quite reasonably priced for what it does. If you're interested in getting one I can get you a great price PM me if you're interested

7. Timco

Timco Woof! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 7, 2002
    You guys are evil. Ibooksrule, you might want to give a aprox. amount of money you want to spend.

8. chief

chief Cool Member DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 18, 2003
    Ibooksrule, you might check out ilovehdtv.com

Steve

9. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    If you're looking for front projectors, you might check the Sony VPLHS20 at a local retailer. Under 4K with a 3000 hr $300 it's a great unit. In rear projection look at the JVCs and the RCA Sceniums. Nice sets, great values. If you're into the new digital technologies. RCA and Samsung DLPs. JVC 42" HD plasma and Sony in smaller plasmas. Both JVC and Sony have some nice offerings in LCD. Don't let a salesmen give you half-truths to sell one technology over another. Think of your viewing distance and ability to control light. You have 7 digital stations in Wichita, you may want a set with built in tuners. Cox is offering some HD. DirectTv will soon offer Wichita locals (not HD) and Dish is offering analog locals now. For the info, i exact a price of 3 NuWays

10. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    i have a hitachi 50" lcd right now but if i dont want it i stil have a couple days to send it back. i mean it seems good to me but i just wondered if there was something better. i dont want a projecter i have no place to put it im in a townhome that is leased. and i dont live in wichita i live in overland park,ks a subbereb of kansas city. yea i get my locals off of dish right now but i dont think my tv has a built in tuner. i didnt buy one because i thought i would be receiving my HD channels over satellite but they dont offer them yet. so how do you pick up HD locals if my hitachi 50v500a doesnt have a tuner then what do i need besides an antenna

11. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Besides the antenna, you need something which has a digital OTA tuner, i.e. is able to receive and decode digital ATSC broadcasts. You can either use a stand-alone set top box which is just for OTA, or you can use a satellite receiver which has an integrated ATSC tuner, such as a Dish Network 811 or 921.

12. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Also the Hitachi is a nice unit. i guess NuWays are out, how about some Gates barbeque?

13. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    The Sony Professional BVM_F24 Studio Monitor Display(that's mostly used on Hollywood movies) with 1920x1080 native progressive scan resolution and a 24" 16x9 screen seems hard to beat in terms of pure picture quality, and the dot pitch on that thing is almost unheard of for HDTVs.
    I've attached a pic below, but since the thing costs more than some of the new fully equipped models from Lexus, Mercedes Benz, and BMW, it's not a realistic option for most people.
    BTW, native 1080p displays are getting cheaper and cheaper all the time, they used to cost an arm and a leg, and a brain and a heart and a soul, and now they just cost an arm and a leg.

Attached Files: