1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big C - I have some questions

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by sigma1914, Mar 29, 2011.

1. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Being a big fan of premium channels original programming I'd like to watch this series. I missed it purposely due to it premiering just 2 months after losing my Dad to cancer. I almost made myself avoid cancer related tv for awhile. It's weird, IMO when I look back, because I handled the whole ordeal very well...it's just shows about it I avoided. I even deleted without watching a 'Nurse Jackie' episode that dealt with it. All other content was fine to me, including shows about death.

Now, I feel I'm ready. I'd just like to know how you feel it handles the subject of cancer? Is it tasteful? Does it make jokes about it? (Our family did, including Dad, it's how we are.) Does it bring up personal feelings about having had cancer or losing someone to it?

Any comments are welcome. :)

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We love the show. My mother and oldest sister died of lung cancer, I will find out in May if I've gone a year free of any signs of prostate cancer.

The first season of the show deals initially with the emotions of the primary character, particularly her own unwillingness to talk about it and her coming to terms with it. Yes, there are some jokes. Feelings of desperation and about death are inherently part of it.

"Tasteful" is a very subjective term. Like many well-done premium channel dramas, dramedies, and comedies it has an adult rating. Laura Linney is a superb actress who has three Emmy Awards including her most recent for "John Adams", three Oscar nominations, and two Golden Globes including one for this show (my wife and I really first became fans of her as Mary Ann Singleton in the "Tales of the City" series). I have never seen her in anything that I felt had distasteful elements.

3. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    We (wife and I) watched the entire first season. Laura Linney is superb in her role as a terminal cancer victim. The suporting cast is first rate. The episode range from hilarious to moving. I'd make sure you see the first season, the second season has already been announced.

You can look it up in Wikipedia.

Oh, I forgot: New season starts: Monday June 27th, 10:30(E)

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Very sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, I've only managed to see 5 episodes while traveling - I don't have that channel at home.

The limited viewing I experienced was that the series and acting/casting was brilliant. Laura Linney is a star. She was equally brilliant in the John Adams miniseries.

Given the choice, I'd have it as a series link here.

5. Casey21

Casey21 Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    First, sincerely sorry for your loss.
    I echo the sentiments above regarding this show. As someone who has had to deal with an immediate family member passing away from cancer (Mom - Brain Cancer), I find the show strangely comforting to my personal situation. For me, it's a reminder that we never know what is around the corner and nothing at all is ever guaranteed - especially the loved ones in your lives. With that said, I've always loved Laura Linney and would watch her in anything. Hope you enjoy the show as much as we have!

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Thank you, all, for the kind words and information. I think I'll check it out.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It's hard to speak from the perspective of a person who has just recently dealt with a family member with cancer... but I found this show to be much better than I had anticipated.

I actually had DVRed it and watched it all over a weekend when the run had ended.

Most of the jokes are at the expense of other people... i.e. Linney's character is exposing limitations of other people... she kind of ends up as an empowered person as a result of her dealing with her cancer.

Or at least that's what I got out of it.

I think the show does a good job of not making light of cancer BUT at the same time, allowing some positive for Linney and her family to come through as the season progressed.

Of course, the perspective might be completely different if you have cancer or know someone dealing with it recently while watching... but I still think the show did a pretty good job of the balancing act of finding humor but not making light of cancer and also not painting doom and gloom but acknowledging the seriousness of the diagnosis.