1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Blue Ring of Death.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ajiuO, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    I have had my HR20 for 3 or so weeks now and it has been happy with it. The first thing I did after installation was to disable the blue ring of death the same way I had done with my R15.

I reset the receiver one time (I can’t remember for what reason). But after I resent it the blue ring of death was back on. So I turned it off again and it stayed off for a while and then when I came home the other day it was back on again.

This concerns me for 2 reasons:

1. I disabled the blue light of death only one time on my r15. I have reset the unit and even downloaded an update… and it is still off.

2. Does this mean that my HR20 randomly reset or did it just come back on for some reason.

Is this normal for the HR20?

What exactly is the point of this blue ring? I know several people who have R15’s and/or HR20’s and no one seems to like this blue ring. Infect most people seem quite annoyed with it. It is very intrusive and distracting. If DirecTV wants to have cool lights that are actually useful they should make the HR30 with channel display so that you can see what XM channel you are on without your TV being on... now that is innovation :nono2:

I would be curious to see how many people on here actually like that blue light. DirecTV should take a vote on the forums and then just permanently disable that garbage in the next software release.

HR20 = good
    Blue Ring of Death = bad

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Any time the HR20 gets reset or if it loses power when it comes back on the blue light will be on again. Did your house lose power the other day while you were not there?

3. ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    Well none of the clocks were reset but sometimes the cat gets behind the entertainment center and step on the power button to the surge suppressor so maybe that was it..

I think I like the R15 a little bit better in that respect then… it doesn’t ever come back on

4. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I am a very big fan of the blue ring. I think the default is too bright, and I always dim it to the lowest setting. It would be very nice if it would remember what it was set to, though.

5. STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It will also reset if you received a software update. Check the date of your last update and against the date your ring was back on again.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The blue ring on the R15 in the bedroom is off, the HR20 in the entertainment center is full speed ahead. It gives the DVR personality and everyone asks what the hell does it do...I like it!

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I wish they had saved blue LEDs on the receiver and used them for backlighing on the remote.

8. SuperTech1

SuperTech1 Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    I like the blue ring. It has various "displays" for different trickplay functions.
    I agree with Jeremy however, that the default setting is too bright. :)

9. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I don't have a problem with the blue ring.

10. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    n/m. found my answer

11. Strejcek

Strejcek Icon

Sep 27, 2006
    Just be glad it didn't turn white with the new GUI. :D

12. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Me either...as long as I can disable it ;)

While I turn mine off after each update, my wife likes the blue ring on her HR20.

13. since 2/96

since 2/96 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    well i've had my hr20 for about an hour now and although i think the blue ring is purty and all i'd like it a little less bright. any help from any of you telling me how to dim the ring would be most appreciated.

tia

14. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Press the left and right arrow on the front of the box together. You can dim it 3 times and on the 4th it will be all the way off.

15. since 2/96

since 2/96 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    ahhhh...much better...thanks bmoreravens!

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The purpose of the Screaming Blue Ray of Death™ is to punish those who speak ill of DIRECTV services on public forums. One snark too many and you're vaporized. All your property then reverts to your dog or cat.

17. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

For that you need Directv's Big Button Remote.;)

18. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Maybe we need another poll. ;)

19. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    I'd rather they focused on more important things than the blue lights.

20. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I like the Blue Light Circle on my R15.I enjoy watching the lights go in different directions depending on the command your give it.It's like my own personal light show.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.