1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The CALM Act takes effect.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mike Bertelson, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
  2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The rules are adopted, but don't really go into effect next December. Though hopefully we'll see changes sooner.

Though I probably won't notice.

3. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Yeah, I don't understand that part. It was enacted in Sept 2010, signed into law in Dec 2010, the FCC starts enforcement in Dec. 2011 and then the broadcasts have a year after that until they have to comply. :shrug:

Are we saying this caught the broadcasters by surprise...they didn't know it was coming and it takes a year to turn the volume down? :grin:

Mike

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    They lost the remote.:sure:

5. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Ba-Dum-Bump-Crash. :grin:

Seriously though, is there some technical difficulty in turning down the volume? Are commercials on their own hardware that needs...something that costs money and time to install?

I don't get why it should take a year...now that I think about it, could it have something to do with contracts with the advertisers and this gives time for them to run out?

Mike

6. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    We were watching something on TNT and the commercials were ridiculously loud. Don't really notice that much during network shows, but then again I seldom watch commercial as I have a DVR. But coming in and out of FF on TNT was hard. I had to start muting the AVR just before the commercial started and keeping it on mute until we had the actually program back. I want to say it was Rizzoli & Isles.

7. zxmuffkenxz

zxmuffkenxz Cool Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I am just glad to hear there is something being done about it. That is the most annoying thing about watching television. With a partially deaf person in our household, I could only imagine how much the neighbors hear when a commercial comes on.

8. RySmith

RySmith AllStar

Dec 21, 2006
    Its about freak'n time!!!

9. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I feel like this used to be a bigger problem in the recent past. But the past few months or sì, it hasn't been that bad. It was a lot worse on TWC.

Kevin

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I haven't notice commercials getting louder in awhile. Like always, they clean up their act in order to state that the law was NEVER needed.

11. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I've noticed that this seems to be less of an issue these days. Don't know if it is because the broadcasters did something or I've become an expert on commercial skipping.

12. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    D* used to be one of the biggest offenders but I can't really say I've noticed their commercials being too loud in quite awhile.

13. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Have you turn on your TV today? Watch Foxbusiness network when the lower banner goes away it's a Directv commercial. Also the local stations need to take note.

14. keith_benedict

keith_benedict Godfather

Jan 11, 2007

Me too! TNT and FX seem to be the biggest offenders.

15. Spicoli

Spicoli This is only a test...

Jun 7, 2006
    It's about time! Just this past weekend I had family over for dinner and we were talking about how loud the commercials were.

16. jimstick

jimstick AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    I don't know what you guys are watching, but I've had to replace my remote because the volume button is worn out from running the volume down EVERY time a commercial comes on. I, for one, am very happy they are finally doing something about this problem. I don't understand why it is going to take so long; all they have to do is use the same technology they use to make the commercials LOUDER, and REVERSE it. It's probably like Mike Bertelson said, it has to do with contracts.

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    My AVR takes care of it....never need to touch the remote volume

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Some of us folks have been waiting for this to be in place for years.

Glad its finally in force, and hopefully enforced.

19. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    From the pdf:

20. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    If you looked at the press release you will see that Directv is one of the first companies to provide this service and has been doing it for a few months.... thats why most of you havent noticed it being so bad lately.

Apparantly they monitor the db levels of the program and average it out and the commercials have to be within so many db of that so they automatically adjust for it at their end.

Another plus for Directv!