The cord is cut.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MadMac, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Apr 7, 2017 #1 of 101
    MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    Well, I've done it. After nine years, I've cancelled service. Personal circumstances have caused us here to take a hard look at what we're spending our money on, and we're getting everything we normally watch (and a bit more besides!) via PS Vue on Fire TV boxes for a quarter of what we were paying Direct. Process was very straightforward - the "Retention" rep i spoke with gave the impression that I was by no means the first person she'd heard this sort of thing from. I think we're seeing a shift in how we receive our in-home entertainment.

TXD16, Rich and mjwagner like this.
  2. Apr 7, 2017 #2 of 101
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    About 3 months into our switch from DireTV to PSVue. Also running on FireTV boxes (1 FireTV stick in the mix as well). Can't say I really miss anything. In fact, I like the cloud DVR better, and we now have access on all our TV's instead of just 3. And really like the $80+ per month we are saving.

TXD16 likes this.
  3. Apr 7, 2017 #3 of 101
    scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    If someone could convince me that I could cut the cord and still get the sports I want, I'd pull the plug in a New York second. DTV's money grab has gotten totally out of hand.

4. Apr 7, 2017 #4 of 101
    MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    What sports do you want?

5. Apr 7, 2017 #5 of 101
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, for me all Yankee, Jets and Giants games are essential. Give me them and I'll snip. I've got 3 FTV1 boxes ready to go and 9 owned HRs with large internal drives ready to sell. I do have to be positively convinced about the sports.

Rich

6. Apr 7, 2017 #6 of 101
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yankees, Giants and Jets.

Rich

7. Apr 7, 2017 #7 of 101
    APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Emphasis on the words which are most important. This is personal. That it is your situation.

I wish you very well with this. This is true with everybody—whether one stays or leaves.

We are in an interesting period.

B. Shoe and MadMac like this.
  8. Apr 7, 2017 #8 of 101
    scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm referring to the sports that I currently get on *D. I'm a huge OU Sooners fan – football, basketball, softball (my Sooner women are national champs), etc. Because of where I live, there's no OTA (network) TV available, but with all the regional sports channels available to me on DTV, in addition to ESPN, FS1, FS2, broadcast networks, etc., I seldom miss an OU game. I don't believe that would be the case with any of the streaming services that are currently available.

9. Apr 9, 2017 #9 of 101
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    PSVue has all the ESPN's available, FS1, and FS2, and depending on your location all of your local major broadcast networks.

10. Apr 9, 2017 #10 of 101
    wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    It must be nice to feel that you don't need to look at ways to save money. My personal situation is that I'm cheap and would rather not spend more money on something than I have to.

The only reason that I keep DirecTV is that my wife and I prefer its guide to the one offered by my telephone company's TV service, which would be a little cheaper. Cutting the cord comes with additional complexities regarding finding shows compared to linear TV + DVR.

Paying for DirecTV is paying for a convenience.

11. Apr 9, 2017 #11 of 101
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I saw an interesting article on Google Now this morning about the new YouTube service. I just tried to find it and it's gone. Anyhow, the article says you get a DVR (cloud, I guess) function and any teams you follow. I'm gonna try it. $35 a month is a lot better than what I pay for D*.

Rich

12. Apr 9, 2017 #12 of 101
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think more of us would agree with that.

Rich

13. Apr 9, 2017 #13 of 101
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    As I have said before, the only necessary channels are Network channels, Weather channels and Government channels. All other channels (Entertainment channels, Movie channels, Sports channels, ect.) are a luxury and luxury is always expensive. If you want luxury channels and bells and whistles like DVRs then expect to pay for them. If you don't like the cost of luxury with your current provider either tighten your belt or switch providers.

14. Apr 9, 2017 #14 of 101
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If I didn't have to pay those equipment fees I don't think I'd consider the snip. Mmm, not sure about that. Big step, don't want to stumble.

Rich

15. Apr 9, 2017 #15 of 101
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would like to see AT&T supply the service and have us pay a connection fee for each TV for say, 2 years ?, and then the connection fee goes away. Like a lot of people that buy their cell phones included in the plan. If they don't get a new phone then their bill drops.

16. Apr 9, 2017 #16 of 101
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Almost half my bill is equipment fees. Really annoys me. I gotta do something, we just don't use D* enough to justify the cost.

Rich

17. Apr 9, 2017 #17 of 101
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Find your list of necessary channels interesting. I would doubt that most people would consider (or even watch) government channels and I also suspect that most people get their weather from sources other than weather channels.
    It would be interesting, but I don't expect we can get or find them, what channels are most watched on DirecTv or from any cable system. I'm sure those numbers are often the key part of all these agreements.
    To us the one directory is a key item as is the one way of doing everything - I don't want to have to A to watch or record one type of show, and B to do it from another source etc.

jimmie57 likes this.
  18. Apr 9, 2017 #18 of 101
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Might want to start quoting posts. I think you're addressing Mystery Man's post.

I do agree with you. I find my weather app, AccuWeather, to be the most accurate provider. I do watch CNN quite a bit. There's always gonna be things we'll miss when changing providers.

Rich

19. Apr 9, 2017 #19 of 101
    APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    It is up to each person what he or she decides. I would never say anything negative about what a person chooses. So, my response, which you quoted, was one of respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Apr 9, 2017 #20 of 101
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Network channels are free over the air ... why do we pay for them? Because the network and their affiliates claimed copyright protection and convinced the Supreme Court to protect the channels against re-transmission without permission or payment (if demanded). If these channels were "necessary" they would be a required part of satellite carriage. They are not. (They are required on cable, if the local station agrees to be carried.)

Weather channels? Are you a weather junkie? "The Weather Channel" has been dropped from DISH and DIRECTV at different times. It only returned to DIRECTV because a particular corporate account (Hilton Hotels) who had partial ownership in the channel demanded that TWC was part of the lineup. TWC is still not available to all customers. The Weather Channel does not see the value in offering 24/7/365 weather. They fill their schedule with shows about weather and even attempted to fill time with "movies featuring weather" (such as The Avengers) until DISH and DIRECTV told TWC that they were being paid to be a weather channel not a movie channel. Are movies that mention weather "necessary" or just more "entertainment" content? (WeatherNation does a better job of providing the weather 24/7/365 ... but we went for years with TWC being the only weather channel - including their "shows about weather". A weather channel was not necessary.)

Government channels ... what are those? The "public interest" channels that pay satellite for carriage and most people either cannot name or complain about when they know the names? What "government" channel do you consider necessary and how many people actually watch that channel?

Sorry, but every form of pay TV is a luxury. While having access to TV can improve your life it is not a requirement.

Equipment fees are easy ... drop back to the minimum equipment. Sure, you might only be able to watch TV in one room of your house. But having TV in multiple rooms is optional. (If one TV is a luxury, two is not needed.) I remember living in a one TV house. It was a big deal to get a TV in a child's room. But there was nothing to watch except live TV (it was a time before the VCR was affordable).

How did children ever survive! We went and played outside riding bicycles without helmets and playing on hot metal playground equipment anchored in asphalt. We were not snowflakes.