The Corona Virus, What Will We Lose When It Ends?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Apr 16, 2020 #1 of 382
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Obviously, a lot of small businesses will disappear. It begins to look like we will lose this year's MLB season and the NFL might not get to play. Clearly, we will see the impact of the virus for years, what will change? Most importantly, will we lose the freedoms we take for granted? Will we be able to assemble? Lots of questions, what do you think?

Rich

2. Apr 16, 2020 #2 of 382
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    A lot of People With Power would Like Everyone to think that-- I would remind everyone 0f Mers-Sar's -HIV *note these --NO vacc was created for any of these -Football was Palyed During HIV -Before everyone Knew really anything about it except it was Fluid transfer --Football -and other sports took Care of injuries in that manner.

Sports can be played -the same way Starting today --First All Major Sports Must Screen all Staff and Players -for wellness -Take temp --if anyone shows signs -they are out!
    Screen the FANS --Just like the Airport Does.

If we in American cam Make PPE --Then N95 Masks should Not be a Problem --except for drinking beer.

COVID-19 is NO more Harmful -Than the Flu season every year -- IMOP - Those in power are using it to suspend the constitution --just see if the public will obey --That will be their sign it's okay to remove more rights --Remember after 9/11 we lost the 4th Amendment (see) FISA Abuse as just one example.

SuperTech2131 and Rich like this.
  3. Apr 16, 2020 #3 of 382
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I would be surprised to see fans in MLB stadiums this year. The airports are still open but there are very few travelers for TSA to scan.

30,000+ deaths in three months in the US is much more than in a flu season.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    markman07 likes this.
  4. Apr 16, 2020 #4 of 382
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Taking Temp doesn't do anything. You can still have COVID-19 w/o any symptoms (including fever). And you can pass COVID-19 on to other people w/o any symptoms.

Only the testing (which we still seem we can't get done), will allow us to know. And with testing results taking from hours to days, how can you possibly test fans coming into a stadium? Test them ahead of time?

PS the FISA courts were established and have been used since 1978.

5. Apr 16, 2020 #5 of 382
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I'm not going to speculate on what sports or other things will or will not be held and when.

What will the world look like in a year?

- The government is just going to hit a big "reset" button on loans, rent, etc. This year just "didn't happen" vis almost everyone's financial relationships. Of course, as with anything the government does, there will be plenty of regulations and special pay offs to insider groups.

- A lot of people currently late 50s to early 60s have gotten a preview of the retired life. Some will love it and turn in their papers the day they get back, others will now never retire.

- A TSA like dog-and-pony show will be developed at the airports and such. Yet more lines, yet more costs, yet more idiocy.

- A lot of people are just not going to travel, go to events, etc., again. Personal choices, but given the margins in the travel industry, which is 12% of the economy, and the communal entertainment industry, both will be smaller.

- Yet more people are just never leaving the country any more. Even for Mexico, Caribbean, etc. Which, because of the way airlines work, means that doing so will cost more and be more difficult in terms of connections. Also a yet more complex dog-and-pony show getting back in the country. Further, the really "exotic" trips, particularly to China and other places w/o modern sanitation, are just going to be far fewer.

- The cruise ship industry will be half the size it was. A lot of unused harbors in the third world will be full of mothballed ships that will never sail again.

- There will be a noticeable baby boom from the quarantine.

- The move from live retail to delivery is going to move faster than it would have.

- The wisdom of SOME level of "prepping" will appeal to more people.

6. Apr 16, 2020 #6 of 382
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008

TRUE- The Fisa Rules were amended after 9/11-to where they are today

7. Apr 16, 2020 #7 of 382
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    At this point is has been more then proven that COVID is more harmful then the flu.... the Flu doesnt cause a overreaction of the immune system like COVID does... overtime things may even out but for right now this spreads way faster... As far as suspending the constitution to see if the public will obey... I hope your tinfoil hat fits snug...

IMO I think we are in a weird place until there is a successful treatment option.. until there is then a vaccine... However due to the large percentage of cases that are asymptomatic I think we get normal way quicker with wide spread antibody testing.. For me I am good sitting at home until this passes.. Nothing is worth my families life

VDP07, markman07, Rich and 1 other person like this.
  8. Apr 17, 2020 #8 of 382
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    As far as I'm concerned, anything that deals with large gathering of people is effective wrecked for this year. This includes the following:
    • Dining establishments
    • Sports
    • Concerts
    • Travel and vacations
    All of this falls under the category of "disposable income", which means it is easier for people to stop spending and harder to convince them to start spending. This has a bad domino effect.

AZ. likes this.
  9. Apr 17, 2020 #9 of 382
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    CDC estimates 24,000 – 62,000 flu deaths Oct 2019 - April 4 2020
    Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates

30,000 people died having, or suspected of having, COVID-19. No one knows exactly how many, just like we don't know exactly how many died from the seasonal flu. I was reading an article about the effects in the hospitals and the cardiologist were surprised that stroke and heart attack deaths were down 60%, when they assumed they would increase. It's anecdotal, but how many of those deaths that might have been a cardiac death are now a COVID death.

jimmie57 likes this.
  10. Apr 17, 2020 #10 of 382
    NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    COVID-19 is far from being over, while the flu season is pretty much done... COVID-19 deaths are showing some leveling off or decline, but it's a slow progression.

AZ. likes this.
  11. Apr 17, 2020 #11 of 382
    BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    I would be shocked if there was no mlb season, however I do think a very large part of the season will be played with no fans. I think the football season will be just fine, included being played with fans. Now the NHL and NBA, I have no idea what they are going to do for this season. I'd say those are the most up in the air.

12. Apr 17, 2020 #12 of 382
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I took the dog out late last night and saw two planes overhead. We live in an area where the sky is usually full of planes. Newark Airport and the NYC airports are nearby. Hadn't seen any planes in days, then two last night. It reminded me of sitting on a bench at a ballfield the day after 9/11 and seeing empty skies. Very unnatural.

Rich

AZ. likes this.
  13. Apr 17, 2020 #13 of 382
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The saliva tests are being done here in at least one location, Edison. From what I've read, these tests seem to be gentler and you get the results quicker. Just have to spit in a test tube.

Rich

14. Apr 17, 2020 #14 of 382
    AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    But havent got a good explanation of what it proves?....You had it? You have it? Your a carrier with out knowing it?

15. Apr 17, 2020 #15 of 382
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good post. Lots of good points. Yeah, we should see a population uptick after all this.

I'll never worry about things like toilet paper again. My grandmother lived through the Great Depression and both world wars. She always had sealed containers of flour and sugar squirreled away in the attic. She, and her generation, knew how quickly things could turn to s***. I had that in the back of my mind a few months ago when I suggested to my wife that we might want to buy one of the emergency ration kits that Costco offers. Nothing came of that conversation but I was kicking myself in the butt for not getting it a few weeks ago.

A lot of us made the move from live retail to delivery over the last few years, I'd expect the number of folks that do that will increase greatly after this settles down. That will have a domino effect on retail stores.

I can live without traveling and I took my last cruise many years ago when I stepped off the gangplank of my destroyer.

This is clearly going to cause a financial disaster.

Your take on folks retiring is spot on, I think. I got hurt a lot playing ball as I got older. In the last five years I played I had some severe injuries and had to go on disability. An Achilles Tendon injury took me out for six months and during that time (I was effectively crippled for most of those six months) I found out what it was like to be "retired". So, when the time came to take the package, I had a pretty good idea what it was like to be totally unemployed (it can be wonderful). Lots of folks are gonna have that epiphany. Flipside of that: Lots of people have to work from home. My wife has to do that. She's been told to prepare to work from home indefinitely. She has been considering retirement for a couple of years. She finally saw the light, working from home is great, if she can keep this up the thought of retiring will go away.

Rich

16. Apr 17, 2020 #16 of 382
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Been following what Chris Cuomo has been going thru since he got the virus? Quarantined in his cellar to keep his family safe. Didn't help, his wife has it now. He went on a rant the other day caused by his suffering. Hard to watch but very informative.

Rich

17. Apr 17, 2020 #17 of 382
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was listening to the POTUS channel on Sirius the other day and I heard that the flu has been less of a problem because of social distancing caused by the virus. Far less. I have a feeling social distancing is gonna be a thing for some time.

Rich

NYDutch likes this.
  18. Apr 17, 2020 #18 of 382
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    MLB's commissioner has said he's gonna try to get some games played. I hope that happens, but...

I've got a feeling the NFL season might/will be affected.

Rich

19. Apr 17, 2020 #19 of 382
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not positive about this, not enough to answer your questions. I can tell you what I read. Edison, NJ is a town that borders my town. The closest motor vehicle station is in Edison and that's where the testing is being done. You drive through the station in your car. In the station you are given something like a test tube and you deposit your saliva into that. The results come back in a short time. Much quicker than the other test.

Do I have it? Have I had it? Am I a carrier? Pretty sure I don't have it. I/we (family) went through something in late January that might have been the virus. I don't know if that would show up on the test. Could be carriers, no idea. Pretty sure the test would show that but you have to have a reason to take the tests. You must be symptomatic or have a prescription from a doctor. We can't just take the test.

Rich

20. Apr 17, 2020 #20 of 382
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    This spreads days before you experience symptoms Once that on sets everyone in your house has already been exposed. Him hiding in the basement did nothing.. she got it well before