The DBS Dog Park

Discussion in 'The OT' started by BubblePuppy, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1 of 116
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    It is said that dogs are men and women's best friend. I know mine are. My avitar is a picture of Smoke, my Black-Tri Aussie during our move to Florida from UpState NY in 2002. I've noticed that so many members here have dogs as their avitars. So let's devote a thread to the praises and pics of our canine companions. Share how you were adopted by these devoted so called animals, how these descedents of wolves stick with us when other humans desert us and other stories about your doggy pal.

Only rules 3( for now):1. Canines only. Cats are not allowed, start your own thread. 2. No humans in pics unless accompnied by a canine. 3. Girl/Boy friend jokes not allowed

ps. I'm posting this in duress....Smoke is making me do this.......Smoke now can I have my remote!

2. Feb 6, 2008 #2 of 116
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    To be perfectly honest I don't know which of these two in the first photo is mine. They are from the same litter - one is mine (Quincy) the other is my moms (Lucy). The one in the second picture is Quincy and she my third, (Lucy is my moms third too).

These pics were taken shortly after we got them as puppies. They are both just over a year old now (born new years day 2007) and are currently 5-6 pounds each.

I wanted a red or brown one to go with the one black (Rayne) and one white (Somere) ones I already had. After much searching I finally found a local breeder that had some available. I went with my mom to see them (Note: my mom had no intention of geting another dog) and we each went home with one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Feb 6, 2008 #3 of 116
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    They are so cute.
    I know I should know this but what breed?
    Any more pics?

4. Feb 6, 2008 #4 of 116
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Toy poodles.

5. Feb 6, 2008 #5 of 116
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    This one is Somere, my smallest at 3.5-4 pounds. She under the couch teasing Rayne who is too big to get under there.

[​IMG]

6. Feb 6, 2008 #6 of 116
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    This is another pic of Somere this time with Tia. Tia was my moms baby but unfortunately she had some heath problems and was only with us for a very short time.

[​IMG]

7. Feb 6, 2008 #7 of 116
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    How do they handle the heat? Any dog parks around?

8. Feb 6, 2008 #8 of 116
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    This is Missy who helped my mom get over the loss of Tia. (She actually turned out white as she got older)

[​IMG]

9. Feb 6, 2008 #9 of 116
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    There are dog parks and we take them every once in a while. As for the heat - I don't think it's an issue at all. They are always inside and when they go out I have a big covered patio.

10. Feb 6, 2008 #10 of 116
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I don't have any pics right now but we have several dogs, large and small, and I love them all (usually.)

We just got our first toy Poodle and I have to say, I don't think there is any more lovable breed. I expected a nervous, barky little brat and got just the opposite.

11. Feb 6, 2008 #11 of 116
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    and rounding out the bunch (Somere, Rayne, Tasha, Tia)

[​IMG]

12. Feb 6, 2008 #12 of 116
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    A very short history of Smoke.
    A year after my wife (now ex wife) moved to Upstate NY we had to put our first Aussie-Bear to sleep, which we did in my lap.

A shortened long story.

A month later I went to NH to look at some 8 week old Aussie pups. I saw this Black-Tri and I knew I did not want him. Well this little 8 month goofy looking Black-Tri pup never left my side. In fact he would stare me in my face and never left my side while the other pups only gave me a glance.
    Well after three hours I looked at the breeder and said "I have no choice this guy has picked me out."

He wasn't my first choice but I was his and we have been great buds ever since.
    He knew somthing I didn't.

At 11 years of age Smoke has 11 Agility titles plus qaulified for Nationals...a porcupine put that one short..now I am going to join him and Diamond ( my other Aussie) on the couch.

Please Post your canine stories.

13. Feb 6, 2008 #13 of 116
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Here are some videos and a slide show I've put together:http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=machavez00&p=r
    These are my Three stooges
    From L-R Chubby, Chongo, and Chula
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of Oso. He was a Chesapeake Bay mix (our family dog and the neighbor's Chesapeake.) I had him from 1988 to 2004. It was the toughest thing I ever had to do, but we had to let him go.
    [​IMG]

14. Feb 6, 2008 #14 of 116
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    That might be the hardest one has to do...our dogs might be our best companions and have lasted almost half our life
    times.
    I'm so sorry but It is great that you have such support.

15. Feb 6, 2008 #15 of 116
    navy8ball

navy8ball Legend/Supporter

Mar 23, 2002
    its been 17 months since i had to put down my mini-pin. i had her for 13 years. i am just now starting to look for a new companion.

16. Feb 6, 2008 #16 of 116
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Our Vet suggested that we get another dog when Oso was starting to have hip issues. He said it would make things easier when the time came and he was right. If you look at the "my dogs" slide show we were given Chongo about a year before. Our friends also blessed us with Chula. We let them have two litters before Chula was fixed. Chubby is one of their pups. He will be two in May. Chula will be four in June and Chongo will be five in December

17. Feb 6, 2008 #17 of 116
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I have not read his book, But I hear "Rescuing Sprite" by Mark Levin is a great book.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1416559132/bookstorenow18-20
    [​IMG]

18. Feb 6, 2008 #18 of 116
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001

Attached Files:

19. Feb 6, 2008 #19 of 116
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Mr. Hand!

20. Feb 6, 2008 #20 of 116
    Selenna

Selenna Fair Lady of the forums DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 18, 2004
    First is Kiki, my Alaskan Malamute who was with me from puppy to when I had to let her go at 14 years old, with a new addition to our house at the time, my Golden Retriever Tucker.

[​IMG]

Tucker is 3 1/2 now and last year I started thinking about getting him a playmate. Even went to the local Animal Shelter and saw too many who needed homes (always breaks my heart to know I can't save them all). But after some serious consideration I decided to wait a while until I felt a bit more financially secure... not that I was having real troubles, but I'm working at paying down some debt and decided that it would be better to wait on another mouth to feed and vet bills.

But I did already have in mind what I wanted when the time came... not another puppy since I didn't relish going through the whole house-breaking and obedience training thing again. Tucker is big for a Golden at almost 100 lbs. so I wanted a dog big enough to be able to play with him easily but not one as large as he is.

So fate decided to step in and in December my boss mentioned that a co-worker of his wife had found a dog and they had no luck in finding the owner so were looking for a home for him. He fit my description exactly and after much internal debate I decided to take him in. I'm very glad I did and can't imagine why anyone would have gotten rid of him since he's one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. (My suspicion is a typical case of "oh, he was so cute as a puppy but gee, I didn't know he'd get that big..."). So here's Tucker and his new pal Bailey.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--Sel