The Death Of Physical Media

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Jul 5, 2019 #1 of 10
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    A few days ago, I received a message from GraphicAudio, an audiobook producer and retailer. Among the notes...

Then, this past week, I was in both Costco and Sam's Club in the North Dallas area purchasing two new HDTVs (a 32" 1080p and a 50" 4K model.... both Roku enabled). One thing that I noticed was the almost-complete absence of BluRay or DVD players, or, for that matter, CDs, DVDs, and BluRays. In recent months, there was the possibility of recent hits showing up. Not anymore.

I'm not too terribly surprised. The home media market took a sizable hit with the great recession of 2008, with several anime producers going completely out of business. Paramount only remastered the original Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation for BluRay including re-doing the effects. Fox only released the first season of the The Oroville on DVD--no BluRay-- with the second season coming out only on DVD.

The trend is towards streaming media and digital downloads. This makes sense because of the lower costs and increased profit margin.... provided you have a good high-speed connection. There is also the physical space taken up.... namely none... in a digital download. I know that my entire audiobook collection exists either as a Audible subscription or MP3 downloads.... not a physical disc in sight. Audiobooks tend to be single-listen throughs anyways. Software? Beyond the OS, all of my software purchases have been digital, and if it's games, it's probably through Steam.

Still, there is that physical and tactile response that one gets that is missing with a digital download. I know that my copy of a CD or a movie, once I purchase it, is mine "forever". A digital copy, however, is dependent on the online service, and since it's a license, my purchase can be temporarily or permanently revoked.

Thoughts?

2. Jul 5, 2019 #2 of 10
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From VICE:

Microsoft Ebooks Will Stop Working Because It's Shutting Down a DRM Server
    In shutting down its ebook store, Microsoft once again shows how in the modern era, you no longer actually own the things you buy.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

3. Jul 5, 2019 #3 of 10
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Physical media isn't dead yet and it's still the best way to experience audio/video. New Blu-ray, 4K UHD, and DVD titles continue to be released monthly. Sony recently released it's new UBP-X800M2 player. There's still a lot of life left with physical media.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. Jul 5, 2019 #4 of 10
    NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I don't have any MS ebooks to test, but this link might be useful to those that do. I use the deDRM tools with the Calibre ebook manager for converting Amazon's Kindle protected books to standard EPUB format.

Apprentice Alf DRM Removal Tools

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I disagree. While not "dead", I can certainly argue that physical media is becoming a niche format. True, you can argue that physical media is probably the best way to experience audio and video, and I don't disagree with you there. I can also argue that for a significant group of people, they don't care about picture or audio quality. Sure, in years past, they purchased a HDTV, but still hooked up a DVD player, purchased DVD discs (because they're cheaper), and even used the SD and not bothering to upgrade to HD service. Go figure.

Rich likes this.
  6. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    I know OPPO stopped making their high end 4K players a couple of years ago and I was lucky enough to snag one. Streaming is certainly more convenient and for most applications is perfectly fine. But, there is a noticeable difference in video quality when watching on my home theatre screen (77' OLED) vs smaller screens. I don't get the physical media for everything but for I do for "wow" type movies.

7. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I still have a large collection of CDs, although I've ripped most of them to the computer and made back-ups many times over. But I still keep those things. I had a friend who told me "I don't need all that stereo stuff and discs - I can do it all on my phone!" I remember her telling me other day her phone went out due to an issue which knocked out the network and couldn't listen to music. I could simply pop a disc in and enjoy, no connection needed.

TheRatPatrol and MysteryMan like this.
  8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Same here. But I can’t remember the last time I bought a CD or DVD.

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    My musical tastes tend towards classical music as well as television/movie/video game soundtracks. Thus, it's not likely to be part of the mainstream services especially if the material is non-English in origin. I have ripped my CDs to my Plex media server so that I can play them back through my mobile smartphone.

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I have uploaded many of my MP3's to OneDrive -- 1 TB cloud storage with Office 365 subscription -- so that I can listen on other devices or when I travel.