1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dish on the Dishes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SatRick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. SatRick

SatRick AllStar

Jan 6, 2009
    Trying to buy Dtv is like buying a computer, In a few months the hardware /software, keeps changing:eek2:
    [Tivo here, Tivo gone, Dtvr+ here, going, Tivo coming back etc]:rolleyes:

Looking at it from a "Future" expanability standpoint on the dish side
    If you had to do over or start from scratch, which would be the best ODU to go with

The AU9 SL3 SWM, AU9-S [4out], or AU9 SL5 SWM

Is there an advantage to a 5LNB for future or changing Sats or programing
    I read the SWMline has issues, but is it worth the wait?
    thanks.Dick

2. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    your choice will depend on your programming needs. some areas use 119 for locals, and spanish and some chinese are on 119 if none of these apply then the SL3 is what you want.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The question is do you really need those two satellites, and do you need a SWM.

For a new installation I think that using a SWM is a great long-term strategy. It's easier to wire, easier to change, and more flexible in how it's used. As for current issues with the SWM all I can say is that I wouldn't imagine them being long-term issues.

SL3 vs. SL5, unless you are an international package subscriber or are in an area where the 110 and 119 satellites are going to continue to be used, I'd choose the SL3, just fewer parts to break.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I vote for the SWM but I'd recommend going with a SWM8 vs. the SWM LNB. I don't like the thought of being locked into a max of 8 tuners like the SWM LNB does. Plus I know folks don't recommend using the OTA input on the SWM8 but I have and don't have any problems doing so.

5. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I too would vote for the SWM-8. Up front I should say my decision to go with the SWM-8 was more driven by the location of my Slimline, very high and somewhat difficult to get to, than cost but once I installed the SWM-8 I realized that it was the most flexible alternative at this time. My neighbor who just two weeks ago had DirecTV installed for the first time is already running into the limitations of the SWM LNB.

6. SatRick

SatRick AllStar

Jan 6, 2009
    I guess that is part of my question [since I am not in this field, unless they want me to got up there and weld somthing]:grin:

Could those Sats be used for future channels or swapped out if other Sats had issues?

The SWM8, is that a different ODU or just the multiswitch?

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Multiswitch. I can be used outdoors but I don't think it's recommended. The power inserted for it must be indoors.

8. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    any satellite that gets 99, 101, and 103 should work fine for you (the 3 lnb dish). the 5lnb (99, 101, 103, 110, 119) is only needed if you get local channels from 119 or if you want spanish, or chinese. It is unlikely that the 110 and 119 will be used for any new programming.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The secret to success with DIRECTV is to not "buy" anything.

Allow them to give it to you. Just make sure you tell them precisely what you have in mind.

Either way you pay the same monthly price and buying doesn't get you out of any programming commitments.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The DIRECTV satellites are not entirely interchangeable. The latest four satellites (and a fifth to be added late this year or early next) can only operate in one of two Ka slots (99W, 103W). 101W, 110W and 119W are somewhat compatible in terms of CONUS coverage only and 95W (internationals) is a different technology yet.

There's also DIRECTV 1R sitting over at 72.5 but I think it may get sold as it is not currently in a US slot and isn't much of a satellite relative to the big boys elsewhere.

11. SatRick

SatRick AllStar

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanks gang, great info as usuall:D especially about the "buying" part, should rephrase to say "get"::grin:

Clarification please:confused:
    I am to assume, the dish, AU9-s is standard model you build off of
    When you use a SWM-8, are you using a legacy LNB to the mutiswitch or are you using a SWM3/5 LNB to the switch

Trying to nail down my pkg, but SWM LNB still on hold [?] do to low temp issues

12. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    for a swm8 (external SWM) you need a legacy LNB

if you want a swmlnb get an Aspen Eagle. they have no issues