The dreaded 775 and I'm tired of the cr*p

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by scottt, May 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. May 7, 2019 #1 of 11
    scottt

scottt New Member

May 7, 2019
    First, I have to confess, VERY longtime lurker (decade?) first time poster. (19 year DTV customer)

This past Sat my screen flickered a few times between the 775 error screen and normal TV. Sunday morning, 775 was permanent. I tried moving the power injector to the other receiver (have an HR44 and an HR24) no dice, yet it has a green light.

Tried rebooting everything, and now I cannot access my recorded shows. If I try to access the list, I get the "Please wait" progress bar, then after a bit it returns me to the 775 error page. If I hit menu, I can see a few shows (the rectangles) but can only see about 6-7 of those and if they are multiple episodes, back to the "Please wait" loop.

Called Sunday, and they wanted to charge me $99 for a truck roll. No way. Finally after bouncing around I found someone to do it no charge. This brings me to the REALLY big issue I'm having.

Sept of last year my LNB failed. Called up, got a truck roll with no issue. Tech showed up and refused to climb up on my roof to replace it. Called his sup, also refused. They also refused to leave me the part.

2nd tech called out. Didn't have proper part on the truck. PROMISED he'd be back the next day, never showed.

3rd tech called out, took him all of 5 mins to get everything swapped.

Now, all this time, DTV gave me credits (nothing huge) for lost viewing time, the hassle, etc. Now, apparently this has caused my account to be "Credit Flagged". I can't get ANY credits for anything. So when my monthly credit fell off, I called to renew. No dice. They did an "escalation" to the credit dept (and told me someone from there would call) to tell me why my account was flagged. Never happened. I escalated a total of 4 times, each time PROMISED someone would call. No one ever did. I'm told I'm flagged for 6-12 months, and who knows when exactly the flag will disappear. I have nothing fancy (low package, no premium channels etc). My bill is now the highest bill I have. Higher than the electric bill, gas bill, internet, etc.

Giving serious consideration to dropping DTV and going with FiOS. I have my internet with them already.

Anyone have any idea how to get off this "credit flag"?

If I do cancel, how long do I have before I have to send the HR44 back? Need time to watch my recorded shows.

And, if anyone has any advice, etc, I'd greatly appreciate it.

And, if anyone knows how I can watch my recorded shows while I'm dealing with this 775 issue.......please let me know!

Thx!!

2. May 7, 2019 #2 of 11
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    To watch recorded shows only, try this:
    Disconnect the coax from the HR44. Restart the receiver. It will search around for 4-10 minutes to find the LNB. After you get an error, press the List button on the remote. This should bring up the list of recorded programs.
    When you are done for the day, do not turn it off or you will have to repeat the above.
    I have only done this on an HR24 that is a SWM setup.

3. May 7, 2019 #3 of 11
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Error 775 Problem Communicating with Dish...SWiM power inserter may need to be plugged in. The network can't detect the SWiM due to power loss to SWiM. No SWiM installation is present. That said, you have to identify the power loss and correct it. You can try to resolve your credit issue by calling 1-800-824-9077 (Loyalty/Retention). Keep in mind this isn't the DIRECTV of old, you'll be dealing with AT&T.

4. May 9, 2019 #4 of 11
    scottt

scottt New Member

May 7, 2019
    Yeah, I figure it's the power inserter. I had a service appointment scheduled for yesterday. They cancelled it (after I left work early). Now scheduled for Sat 8-12 (LOVE getting up early on my days off). I've pretty much had it with DTV. After I cancel, how long will I have before I have to ship the Genie back? I'll have some shows to watch before I send it to them (yep, I'll remember to disconnect the satellite BEFORE I cancel). Because of my "credit flag" there are NO credits for lost service.

5. May 9, 2019 #5 of 11
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You should be told how long you can keep the Genie when you call to cancel. Should be told, doesn't mean that's gonna happen. If you wait too long you might get your account sent to a collection agency. You should have at least a couple weeks to watch down your content.

Rich

6. May 9, 2019 #6 of 11
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The ones I shipped back recently stated for it to be shipped in 2 weeks

7. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Your story about the three truck rolls is very worrying. That’s one of the reasons I buy all my equipment from SS and bite the bullet on the price. I don’t have time anymore for missed truck rolls or incompetent repair people. Most of us can do the work ourselves.

As for the 775 error you did hot say what kind of swim setup you use? If it’s a separate swim module I have seen a swim 16 exhibit that exact behavior. I switched it out and that fixed the problem

8. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    Yesterday they gave me a little over three weeks to get the equipment to a UPS store before they start adding a non-return charge.

9. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I had 771 error message and wasn't getting certain channels the tech came out and said the coax cable heads were corroded and had water damage. He replaced those and the connector on the outside of the house they went into and now I got those channels back.

jimmie57 likes this.
  10. scottt

scottt New Member

May 7, 2019
    An update. I had a service call scheduled for a Wed (few weeks ago) between 4-6 pm. Tech never showed up. I found out later that he did show up, around 3:15pm. Last I checked 3:15pm is not between 4-6. Anyway called in and had another appointment scheduled for that Sat 8-12 (yay, LOVE getting up early on my day off). Tech showed, the line that was newly terminated when the LNB was swapped was corroded. Replaced and all was well. Meanwhile I had signed up for FiOS, with an install scheduled for the end of the month. ZERO credits for lost service since I'm still on this credit flag. The tech had me sign something that looked like I was committing to a 2 year agreement (to replace a corroded end?). He said it was boilerplate. I called one of the loyalty numbers to make 100% sure there would be no 2 year agreement. The recording said the wait would be 9 mins, so I hung up. Don't know what, but something in my head told me to try the (619) 752-1401 number I saw mentioned in the bill lowering thread. I called them and it's as if the clouds parted and the heavens opened up. She confirmed no 2 year agreement, and sensing the frustration in my voice she asked me what was going on. Told her the WHOLE story. She apologized and immediately offered me $65 off each month for a year. No mention of "credit flag", no hassle, just DONE. Needless to say I cancelled the FiOS install after verifying that yes, the $65 in credits are on the account.

Fast forward to the following Thursday, it went out again (775). Called and was able to get another tech that Sat. OTHER end of the line (at the dish) was corroded. And this time, I was able to get a credit for the 1st loss of service. Go figure.

So, finally after 8 months of phone calls and hassles I'm where I need/want to be.

Another question. I have an HR24 (2nd receiver) that I don't really use that much. If I cancel it, will they want it back? Hoping I can keep it so if I do end up needing a 2nd receiver I won't get hit with another 2 year agreement.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you add a receiver, any receiver, it does trigger a commitment. some are 1 year and some are 2 year. I think an HD receiver is 1
    and a DVR is 2.