'The Expanse' - our complicated future is the reason Amazon is bringing us Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jul 27, 2019.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    On December 31, 2015, I started the thread "The Expanse" gets 2nd Season from Syfy and on February 2, 2017, a thread The Expanse was started by the2130 with this post:
    Yesterday the comprehensive article If You Care About Earth, You Should Watch The Expanse appeared on the Gizmodo site explaining why this show is so complex but so very good and reminding us:

After a close brush with death before Amazon swooped in to save it, The Expanse is officially back for a fourth season in December. Which means that if you’re not already obsessed with the space opera that blends interplanetary politicking and battles with alien monsters, you’ve got a few months to catch up. But it’s not just science fiction fans who can find a lot to love in this show—so can anyone concerned with the habitability of humanity’s homeworld.​

For reasons that are complicated we weren't able to watch much of Season 2. A couple of months ago I read about Amazon saving the show . Discovering that the three completed seasons are available on Amazon Prime, we started watching Season 2 again. IMHO it is the best scifi show produced in this decade. (EDIT: An hour ago this headline appeared ‘The Expanse’ Renewed for Season 5 at Amazon)

But it is complicated. Fortunately, the article linked above might be the best place to start if you have never seen the shown as it gives a good overview. I feel I need to note if you're idea of good science fiction is doing battle with alien monsters, the article beyond that first paragraph above uses the term "Alien-esque horror elements" which is a more accurate description of a science-gone-wrong element.

I can only speculate, but I wonder if Amazon saved the series because as Amazon founder Jeff Bezos explained in May he is in the space business per this article in The New York Times Jeff Bezos Unveils Blue Origin’s Vision for Space, and a Moon Lander:

In a carefully choreographed event akin to an announcement of a new iPhone, Jeffrey P. Bezos unveiled a moon lander.

Mr. Bezos, the founder and chief executive of Amazon, also owns Blue Origin, a rocket company. In a convention center ballroom here, Mr. Bezos described on Thursday a dreamy, ambitious vision of the future: a trillion people in space, living not on moons or planets, but bucolic space colonies in a style originally envisioned by a Princeton physicist, Gerard K. O’Neill.

“This would be an incredible civilization,” Mr. Bezos said.

The space colonies would be built by future generations. Mr. Bezos said what he and others today can do is start building the infrastructure. In the short-term, that includes a lunar lander, Blue Moon, a sleek vehicle that became visible as a curtain in front was yanked away.​

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    MysteryMan likes this.
  2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I just edited the original post, as news articles just appeared indicating Amazon ordered a Season 5. Also I should have mentioned that the show received a Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation and three Saturn Award nominations for Best Science Fiction Television Series.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It is a complicated show and it's well worth watching. I think.

Rich

dreadlk likes this.
  4. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    It’s with out a doubt the best SciFi show on TV right now. It’s one of those shows that does not ignore the details, whether it be the technology end of things or the politics and inter character relationships.
    The cast loves what they are doing and it shows in the performances. Sign me up for season 4. I plan on buying it the day it is realeased.

the2130 and Rich like this.
  5. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    It's a great show.

6. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Now I am hearing season 4 is free with Amazon prime
    For anybody doing even a moderate amount of shopping on Amazon they are making it a no brained to sign up considering all the extra perks.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We ought to run a thread titled, "Who doesn't use Amazon Prime?". Wouldn't that be interesting? A look into the minds of those that don't. And the reasons they don't. By golly...wait one...new thread's on the OT.

Rich