1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Expendables Rental Offer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dsexton, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 #1 of 30
    dsexton

dsexton Mentor

May 2, 2007
    I ordered The Expendables because it said you would get $4.99 back. I ordered the HD version and watched it and now have a $6+ item on my bill. At the end of the movie I think something flashed on the screen about having to mail something in to get the rebate. I looked on the DTV web site and did not see anything. I don't know why with their computerized system they cannot just automatically credit people who are on autopay. Does anyone know the procedure to get the rebate? Thanks!

2. Dec 5, 2010 #2 of 30
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps you don't know the meaning of rebates !

98% of ppl don't bother to send a paperwork or send it improperly, after deadline, etc.

3. Dec 5, 2010 #3 of 30
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Just what is "it" in your first sentence? I suppose you could call DirecTV about this problem but you'll need more specifics than what you mention above.

Oftentimes the refund/rebate will not show up for a month or so in your bill. I found that out when I ordered the HBO/Cinemax combo in September. I was charged $11.11 for Cinemax. When I complained, CSR told me a credit would be applied at the end of the next billing period. It was.

4. Dec 5, 2010 #4 of 30
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks for the reminder, I needed to send in a rebate for a movie watched. :)

5. Dec 5, 2010 #5 of 30
    betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    We got a letter saying we got 3 free movie credits for our anniversary gift with Directv.
    It said our account would be automatically credited for renting any 3 movies.
    We ordered and watched The Expendables and a day later our bill was paid via auto bill pay and lo and behold there was the charge for the movie.
    I called Directv and the lady said they would credit it back next month and that was normal. I asked her why it said it would automatically credit me and she said "Yes, it will next month when we credit it." I told her I don't think that is the meaning of "automatic" and she assured me it was. Needless to say we won't be ordering the other 2 movies.

6. Dec 5, 2010 #6 of 30
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Automatic does not mean the same thing as Immediate.

7. Dec 5, 2010 #7 of 30
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    It came out on Blu-ray Nov. 23rd. Better PQ, better AQ. Sucker... :)

8. Dec 6, 2010 #8 of 30
    MikeS.

MikeS. AllStar

Dec 3, 2010
    I ordered Expendables and then didn't get to watch it within the 24 hour window. Wound up renting it from the video store for 4 bucks.

I really hate how D* now only lets you keep a movie for 24 hours on the DVR.

9. Dec 6, 2010 #9 of 30
    jimisham

jimisham Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    We got a notice in the mail telling us we were getting a free movie as an anniversary gift. We'd be billed and then credited. After watching it, the charge showed up on the next bill and no credit. Another billing period went by, and still no credit, even after a phone call and an e-mail.

10. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    Yea I guess automatic doesn't mean immediately, you are right. Still, I don't like the way they do it so I'll just not order anymore. I have a feeling I won't be credited just like jimisham has experienced.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Agreed.

Whenever I get a credit for something, it always shows up on the following bill. I've just gotten used to it.

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    You should be able to keep the movie for a while. Once you start watching it, you must finish watching within 24 hours.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Once you pay for it, you only have 24 hours. You can record it ahead of time so that you can watch it starting whenever you want.

- Merg

14. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    We watched it and the next 3 or 4 days it was still available to watch I tried to watch it after that and it asked if I wanted to pay $5.99. I deleted it quicker than Oprah can down a dozen jelly filled doughnuts.

15. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    yeah we started it that night and then tried to finish a few days later and couldnt. i called for the rebate and they said they mail it to us and we send it back. sounds odd but i still havent got the rebate offer.

16. eudoxia

eudoxia AllStar

Apr 8, 2008
    Daly City, CA
    my husband ordered it for the rebate. never seen a movie with such a high body count. but I think it was supposed to be "grindhouse" like.

17. dall08fan

dall08fan Cool Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Hopefully you will get the credit. I order a movie with the 3 free anniversary on 9/21 and I have yet to receive the credit. The first 2 times I called the csr said it would show up on the next bill. Called again last week and csr tried to tell me that I ordered the movie 1 day after the expiration date. After telling him that he was wrong, he said he would escalate the problem and I should see the credit in the next few days. Yet a week later no credit.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Since you seem to be having some issues that have taken longer than they should to resolve, send an e-mail to Ellen Filipiak (ellen.filipiak@directv.com), the VP of Customer Service. Explain the situation in detail to her. Someone in her office should get back to you pretty quickly. Her office is good in resolving issues for customers.

- Merg

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hard to understand simple English these days, isn't it? I realize that the language is supposed to evolve, but it seems people just use any word wherever they think it fits. "Free" seems to mean just about anything a retailer thinks will suck people into the store. "Any" is another abused word. Now, "automatically" takes on a different meaning.

But, without evolving, languages tend to stagnate. Ever been in a crowd and asked, "How many people in this room speak French?" That's a language that the folks in France monitor and don't change much and it's dying out everywhere except France.

I've seen so many posts like yours that I just throw those "free" offers away when I get them. Too much agita.

Rich

20. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    You might get a better response if you ask "Combien du personnes dans cette chambre parlent fran├žais?" :D

(I took French in college, but since I haven't had a lot of opportunities to speak it in the years since, I'm way out of practice. At least I could read all the signs when I went to Montreal.)