1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fire TV Cube...

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Rich, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Very interesting device, here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Hands-Free-A...=8-1-spons&keywords=fire+tv+cube+amazon&psc=1

If you read the offering quickly the Cube seems like it does just about everything you could possibly want. But digging a bit deeper I found that it's kinda slow compared to the 4K Fire TV dongle. Kinda like a Fire TV stick. Not good. I dumped all my Fire sticks because they are so slow.

Digging a bit deeper it appears that the best way to utilize the Cube would be with a smart TV of some sort. At the moment the Cube cannot control an ATV or The Shield. I do have smart TVs but I don't use those apps for streaming, I use the ATVs or, rarely, the FTV dongle. The reviews I read stated clearly if you use an ATV, FTV dongle or The Shield you will be disappointed. The Cube would be pointless if you use those devices.

The Cube might be one of the truly great devices that handicapped folks (with a smart TV) could purchase. You can do just about everything by voice control with the Cube hooked up to a smart TV. Can't get past the "smart TV" thing, tho. I started to buy a Cube the minute I got the notification. Could have paid a lot less than it's going for now. Then I thought I might want to do the homework first. Right now I am disappointed. I'm certainly not gonna use the TV apps, I want to use the ATVs.

But, Amazon always seems to be reading my mind and I have a feeling they'll upgrade the Cube so it can control the ATVs and other devices by voice. Then I might buy one...and use it in the same way I use my 4K FTV box and the FTV dongle...rarely.

Rich

2. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    The reviews keep echoing a not quite ready for prime time sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
  4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    At least the reviewers did an unusually good job detailing what you can't do with the Cube. I was ready to buy one when I found a review that detailed what the Cube can do with an ATV...not much.

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    From that article:
    The Bad If you want to use a source device beyond Fire TV -- like your cable DVR, game console, smart TV, Roku or Apple TV -- you'll have to keep its remote on-hand. The included Fire TV remote can't control other devices and even lacks volume and mute keys. Many apps don't support voice yet.

I read a lot of reviews about the Cube and I got the impression that the Cube will get better and might control other streaming devices. Right now it's not ready for prime time if you have a complicated system. Presently, it's just for "simple" systems such as a smart TV.

Rich