The Genie -- Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Contra, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Contra

Contra Mentor

Aug 24, 2009
    Thinking of upgrading my HR24 boxes to Genie. I have 3 TVs. Have been having connection issues with my router and the D* tech could not figure it out. He did say a Genie had wireless built in and would automatically connect.

I went onto the D* site to look and see about cost. I typed in Genie and it came back with a number of upcoming movies that have Genie in them.

<sigh> Some things never change.

Any thoughts / feedback / warnings appreciated!

2. Bitterman

Bitterman New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hudson...
    I had 2 HR24's and an HR22 with the Cinema Connection kit. I got rid of the HR22 and cinema kit and got a genie. Works just fine and now I have 9 tuners to watch /record on. Don't give up those HR24's and switch to the clients!! The 24's work just fine with a Genie!

Edit in case I wasn't clear, simply replace one of your 24's with the Genie and you should be good.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I WANT MORE likes this.
  3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    In order to Keep your Hr24's -The only Genie you want is a HR54 -- Don't get a HS17 you will have to give up your DVR's -- Also - the only upcoming movies the genie has are PPV -- or any movie channels that you PKG contains

I WANT MORE likes this.
  4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The HR54 has a 1 TB HD. It can be connected to a TV and works with receivers, DVRs and clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client and works with one 4K stream at once...The HS17 has a 2 TB HD and is a headless server. It cannot be connected to a TV and only works with clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client and works with two 4K streams at once. wired-wifi-compare.png

I WANT MORE likes this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The summary HR54/HS17coming up pretty often here despite myriad of posts... Any chance to make it as outlined table like the wireless/wired picture ?

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have an HR44-700. Had it for several years. Best DVR I've ever had. With the worst user interface I've ever seen (I've only used D* HRs). By all means, get one. Be prepared for a learning curve.

Rich

7. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    i have an HR 54/700 i like it when it works right:rolleyes:. it will only feed 1 4k t.v. at once.. i do hate the guide on it though channel logos on the side and not on top of the screen would be nice. i heard they got rid of the channel logo. but that might be speculation to:cool:. i hate the front of it i like the older models better that had the blue light on em!!! but it don't matter to me since it's hidden away. and there's times the guide does get slow and sluggish on mine...

8. Contra

Contra Mentor

Aug 24, 2009
    Thanks, this is interesting, albeit a bit confusing for a technophobe like me. So if I replace one of my HR24 boxes with an HR54 (Genie?) ... the other HR24s in the house will have access to the recorded programs...?

And I assume the HR54 Genie will come with an additional monthly fee?

9. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    i don't think you can use any other boxes with the genie like the HR24. i belive it's only the genie and the minis in that setup.. there are no monthly fee's for the main genie and DVR service is free each mini is though 7.00 a month to watch t.v. and you'll have to call if you want the 4K upgrade as it's not on there website. yea it can get a lil slow at times but nothing to worry about. and BTW 4K access won't increase your monthly bill. and you'll need atleast 1 4K mini to gain access to the 4k content wich is only 7.00 for them to mirror the service since the main genie box won't do 4K...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  10. Bitterman

Bitterman New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hudson...
    I have two HR24'S and also an HR44 Genie. All receivers have access to the recordings on the other receivers. I'm assuming this same setup would work with an HR54 and two HR24's.

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That is correct.

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Only the HS17 Genie Server limits your ability to add non-Genie boxes to your account. Many of use HR2x HD DVRs with your HR44/HR54 Genie DVRs.

Rich and eletric chicken like this.
  13. mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    Having the extra tuners is nice, but, I got tired of having my HR24 with the Genie when they upgraded the GUI. I got very much used to the new one, I find it far better than the old one now, and was tired of different TV's having different menus.

One thing that annoyed me before the GUI change was that yes, all DVRs in a house can share the playlist, but they don't share the to do list / upcoming recordings. The Genie really is the best setup you can have because you have the same exact features on any TV in the house.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

14. mmmccall

mmmccall New Member

May 16, 2013
    For what’s it worth, I just upgraded from a setup with an HR44 and two HR 24’s to an HS17 with two 4K clients and one hd client. I was worried after reading so much negative feedback about the HS17 but I have found the system to be MUCH faster on all clients and the 4K picture to be superb. My old boxes were so so slow. Granted it’s only been a couple days but so far so good.

15. Contra

Contra Mentor

Aug 24, 2009
    So if I'm reading this correctly, swapping out one of my HR24 boxes for either an HR44 or HR54 will effectively provide Genie service for the two other HR24 boxes. And allow me to keep the same GUI and remote controls that I'm used to with the HR24s. And this will only cost ... an additional $7.00 a month?

16. Bitterman

Bitterman New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hudson...
    Not sure I know what you mean by Genie Service. If you take out an HR24 and replace it with a Genie you will effectively get 3 additional tuners to record on. Your current HR24's will continue to operate as they do now, they're not "clients" being fed by the genie. You will have 2 different GUI's as the genie has a different layout than the HR24's. Personally I don't like the Genie GUI and prefer the old HR24 menu. You will have to set recordings on each DVR individually as you do now, but each DVR can play recordings from the other... The "whole home" setup. So for your setup, and what I have, the Genie just gets you extra tuners to record on. I would not let them talk you into getting "clients" as you will reduce the number of tuners you can record on... And once those HR24's are off your account you will have to pay to get them back on if you want in the future.

17. Bitterman

Bitterman New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hudson...
    To really simplify my previous post, if you replace one HR24 with an HR44 or HR54 Genie you will just get 3 additional tuners. You can also get rid of the Cinema Connect Kit or having each of your HR24's connected to your home network as the Genie has built in wifi. Everything else will work exactly the same as in your current setup.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  18. Contra

Contra Mentor

Aug 24, 2009
    Thanks. I think I get it. For my situation, I just want to be able to watch a recorded show on any TV in the home, so installing one HR44 or HR54 will do that. Also --is the main purpose of having these "clients" to just provide more tuners? Given the above, not sure what value the "clients" offer, but it does seem people are not happy with them.

19. Bitterman

Bitterman New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hudson...
    The clients don't have any tuners. They use the tuners in the Genie. The Genie has 5 tuners. If you're watching TV on all 3 of your tv's (genie and 2 clients) you would only have 2 tuners to record on at the same time. That's why many of us don't recommend giving up an HR24 for a client. With a Genie and 2 HR24's you have 9 tuners available, not just the 5 in the Genie.

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When comparing a mini to a DVR I don't see anything of value in the mini. Add the Genie keep the 24s, your multi-room viewing system won't change. What you will have some difficulty with is the new GUI. Compared to the GUI of the 24s...well, it sucks. But you will get used to it.

Rich