1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Golf Channel HD stinks

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by awalt, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 #1 of 20
    awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    This is probably old news, but watching the PGA, LPGA, and Seniors tournaments the last couple of weeks it seems they are all a poor man's SD upscaled to HD. The picture stinks. You can see the difference compared to some of their in-studio stuff. The PGA Tour's prime tournaments this year looked excellent. What happened? Did they put the HD cameras away for the year? Batteries run out?

I thought these days of watching live SD broadcasts on HD channels was over...

2. Oct 9, 2010 #2 of 20
    webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Not to rain on your parade, but what does this have to do with Directv programing. Seems to me you're talking about The Golf Channel, not Directv.

Just an observation.

3. Oct 9, 2010 #3 of 20
    Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    The Golf channel always broadcasts the weeks main event in HD. Most other secondary tourneys are SD. It still takes an enormous effort and mucho dollars to broadcast a tournament in HD. As time rolls on we will see multiple events each week in HD but they currently do not have the resources nor the budget to do so. Perhaps if you want to donate 10 million dollars to the cause they could satisfy your desire.

4. Oct 9, 2010 #4 of 20
    awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    Thanks for the reply and the sarcasm.

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Watching golf on TV is a cut above watching paint dry. YMMV

Just my two cents worth...

6. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006

No one asked for your "two cents worth". And it had nothing to do with the topic.

7. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006

It was worth more than 2 cents... it is kind of like paint drying and the announce.....:new_sleep

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    In the words of Bill Cosby "hit a ball, then chase after it". :rolleyes:

9. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    You are watching upscaled SD. Plain and simple.

To answer your other statement, you thought wrong. There are numerous HD channels still showing WS or upconverted SD

10. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    You are in to golf's slow season, at least in terms of the regular US PGA tour. After the "FedEx Cup" the top players take off and the remainder of the tour is specifically a "race for the card" where the second line players try to pick up points to stay on the tour.

In TV terms, that means far lower ratings, and, relative to HD, means that you are getting "4 round coverage" on GC rather than the earlier deal of GC using CBS or NBC HD equipment to cover the early rounds and the early part of the late rounds. Asking GC to produce an HD telecast of what is, more or less, a glorified Nationwide Tour event, going against the NCAA and then the NFL on TV, is a bit much.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    ...but the topic WAS "The Golf Channel HD stinks." :confused:

I'd hardly say I was off topic...

I also added the disclaimer "YMMV" -- Your Mileage May Vary."

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    The PQ on the Golf Channel for major events has always been uniformly excellent, 1080i True HD. Not this 720p blur-o-vision garbage on ABC/ESPN.

They must use SD camera packages for some minor events.

13. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    If someone has an issue with Golf Channel (they dropped the "The") then you should contact them here:

GOLF CHANNEL
    7580 Commerce Center Drive
    Orlando, FL 32819
    Main Number: 407-355-4653

This is an issue with a Comcast owned network and is not a DirecTV issue.

14. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    It was about the quality of the picture, not whether anyone likes it or not.
    You could have just ignored the thread.

15. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Just following your lead. :D

16. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Watching golf is like watching paint dry. Sorry!

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, Fishing is just a Great Excuse to sit in a Boat and Drink Beer away from the wife and the screaming kids!!!

To each his own. You either Love Golf or you don't get it, same with fishing as it bores me to tears but if you understand the golf swing then it is interesting to watch when they miss hit a shot so you can determine why they did that.

If you don't understand Golf or the Golf Swing then it is a Mystery and you will probably be bored. Talk about boring, let's talk about Soccer. BORING!!!

And Yes alot of Golf late in the season is Upconverted SD as it all has to do with making money. If it costs alot to produce then it had better have a Large Audience Watching.

18. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    :nono:

19. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I expect you'll hear from Garry shortly! :D

20. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    I don't remember the golf channel this bad. I don't watch alot but whenever i have tuned in its been very clear. Has something changed? Its quite blurry. Nevermind, i checked another provider and its the same blurr. I guess its the feed.