1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Government is really driving the stock market down.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have you all put your money someplace safe while this nonsense continues to drive the stock market down? I did it last week. Should have done it last Monday.

Rich

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The stock market hasn't been a true evaluation of the economy for my entire lifetime as far as I can see.

It is way up falsely when compared to reality... the stock market is basically just a form of legalized gambling. I don't have a problem with that, but it isn't good for so many to base their economic decisions on it any more than you would the valuations of payouts in Las Vegas or Atlantic City.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yep, they are driving the market down. They are like little kids fighting up there. They need to all be kicked out and start over. Take away their lifetime salaries, make them pay social security, etc.

I have been out of the market for a few months. I hope that I have learned that one part of making money in the market is to not lose what you have previously made.
    There have been a lot of market threatening things this year in my eyes. I will probably get back in, in late October, when they straighten this mess out.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Right at this given moment my portfolio is up by 0.28% for the day but who knows where it will end up in an hour and ten minutes.

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Would you guys mind sharing what sorts of things you have diversified into? Always looking for advice and tips in that area!

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    No one in their right mind would take my advice, but here's a list of currently owned shares by symbol: BKLN, BTO, CHI, CRT, CSCO, DHF, EEP, F, FGP, GE, HQH, HQL, HSH,HT, IDA, JSN, KMM, MSFT, NZH, OTTR, PCK, PEP, PHB. PPR, RWT, SI, SJT, T, TAHYX, TSLA

Some of these were because I'm so brilliant :sure: . Others we inherited. Some are because we want some income from dividends. And some are simply emotional picks. One of those was my wife wanting Tesla when it was $15.58 a share. It had to have been emotional because otherwise she's smarter than I am. [​IMG]

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Wow, that is a mutual fund. LOL
    I never have more than 10 at a time and I trade them every few weeks / months just for the fun of it.
    Some of those I know without looking them up and they have done really well. Good luck.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What I love is when something happens like Apple exceeds expectations, but because they didn't exceed them by enough, there's a sell off and the price drops.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This thread is really dancing on the line... we don't allow political discussions... so if that keeps creeping in, expect this thread to close soon.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We have three accounts. Today our "investment account" went down 0.17%, my wife's IRA went up 0.66%, and my IRA went up 0.46%, for an overall gain of 0.19% which means the dice went our way today. Or as the the song says , some days are diamonds, some days are stone.

We look at it as "it's only money." Hey, according to that web site I should have invested in a few months ago our house was worth $450,000+ then down to $160,000, now around $300,000. Like each stock it really is only worth what we could sell it for if we wanted to sell it. If we aren't in the mood to sell, we don't know what it's worth.

Yep, the shut down of "the government" might erase all those big gains we made this year except we didn't actually make them because we didn't sell. And the gains really are obscene when looked at from a percentage point of view. Nothing of real value to the world caused those gains.

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    It goes Up it goes Down - However It never goes away!

12. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...

I remember wanting Acme Missile when I first saw it on the NYSE back in the early 1960s because I was a big Warner Brothers cartoon fan (who wasn't?) and it kept rising, but my allowance wasn't big enough to enable me to buy any

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's the point of view from Bloomberg contrary to the thread title:

So you just need to watch what happens and make some wise buys. Hmm. That seems like what one should do anyway. :sure:

14. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Let's be careful where we go with this thread. Keep the politics out of it. Please realize this is not the place to get you stock advise.

Mike

15. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'm surprised that this thread was even originated. What has and is happening in the stockmarket in the recent few days is an insignificant blip. The market is up about 70 points today as I type this, and within 3% of its all-time record high. Try buying low and selling high. it always works when you do it right.

16. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I too was surprised this thread was orginated. My portfolio went up 0.48% today. There is no rhyme nor reason to what the market does, even though the analysts come up with groundless stuff like Wall St ends up as government shutdown expected to be short-lived. While it's always possible that the market will become bearish, IMHO Investors are learning to ignore politics as we should here.

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Often they use the reason that it went down today was the same reason it went up yesterday!!

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Still surprised? So far, just what I expected to happen has happened.

Rich

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am still out. Waiting for this mess to get settled.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Me too.

Rich