1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The great Comcast Sports Net/Dish TV HD fraud.....

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by 356B, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1 of 23
    356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    As a Baseball fan in Northern California it's disheartening to see the San Francisco Giants advertised in the program guide to be presented in HD and have the game be in the 4th inning and still no HD. SD is provided but the programing advertised is retarded. I imagine it's a economic issue......but in this case the consumer is being mislead..........I don't know if it's Dish TV or Comcast (Comcast provides the programing to Dish) that's defrauding the customers , but if neither are doing anything about it makes both look deceitful or at best indifferent.......Shame on them........!

2. Aug 9, 2011 #2 of 23
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm not sure you're clear on what fraud is. The game is in HD, it's just not carried in it's entirety in HD on Dish. This isn't new.

3. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    JIP was once the caveat (jointed in progress) I have not seen that in some time. The programming is advertised from the beginning of the game, in this instance 7PM most nights to the end, 10:30 PM most nights......Look (whoever) is advertising something they are not producing.........that's simple enough...

4. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Tonight, for apprx. the fifth time this season, the Cubs game on CSN Chicago was not presented in HD on Dish. I assume its a Dish HD capacity issue. Not sure how they decide which RSN on a given night draws the short straw. The Cubs are very bad this year so maybe thats how they get chosen sometimes. Of course, no one at Dish knows diddly about sports so maybe they just flip a coin.

5. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    More like a hat filled with MLB teams and whoever gets chosen until the bandwidth runs out LOL

6. azjimbo

azjimbo Mentor

Jun 4, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    From what I can see, it's more likely time zone and then market size...

Whichever team(s) play first get first crack at the HD, then as their games finish, the HD signal gets reallocated to someone farther west.

So, if a west coast team (SF, LA etc.) is on a road trip anywhere east of California/PDT, they would get the signal first, then as their game finished, the HD signal is then reallocated to a west coast team playing at home (SD, Oakland and yes I know they're not on the coast, the Diamondbacks).

7. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Still doesn't let them off the hook, they list the games in the guide in the HD menu......they are promoting these sporting events as High Definition programming.
    What would happen if " Dancing with the Stars" or "30 Rock", or "CSI" was listed/ advertised in HD and was JIP or not shown at all in HD......Both coast and middle America would go nuts........along with Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Alaska......Yesterday the Giants Pirate game aired at noon PST, pre-game was even in HD (which is a little unusual)....the point is Noon starts during the week can hardly be considered Prime Time, if they want to cheat it why not cheat us there instead of 7:15 PM starts when all of Nor-Cal is watching.....? very lame or they just don't give damn......
    Are you hearing us Dish?

8. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Here in Pittsburgh on Root Sports the Giants/Pirates game Wednesday afternoon was provided in HD from the first pitch.

9. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    We saw the same thing......HD game, Giants lose......

10. karrank%

karrank% AllStar

Sep 20, 2009
    Same thing down here in Central Coast, 411 & 417 MAY come in HD flavor, maybe not, ya never know. Comment above about a hat seems to apply as well as anything else. No sense to it at all. Dish apparently not budgeted for enough bandwidth to go around. Contract's up in a month, may start looking around.....

11. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    karrank%,

I do apologize for this situation. I enjoy watching my games or programs in HD too. We are working on a resolution to this situation. Thanks.

12. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    So far....so good!
    Giants in HD since this thread started here and elsewhere. I hope this is not a coincidence and Dish is really addressing this issue, thank you Ray.

13. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I hope you get to see the next four games in HD.
    BTW, welcome to Turner Field. :)

14. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Turner Field is on my "Bucket List", Wrigley then the World Series at AT&T last year, the Concours d' Elegance at Pebble Beach this year. Next year we hope to take the southern route north via Amtrak. Check out the new park being built in Florida currently, Turner, Fenway and if we have any money left and God willing Yankee Stadium, then fly home. Thanks for the welcome, Go Giants!

15. mgs24

mgs24 AllStar

Dec 7, 2002
    Well went to the A's game with my family and sat in the front row, 1st base side. Set the game up to record on 409 HD. daughter was excited to get home and possibly see us on TV. What a surprise, nothing recorded. First hour was the Come Back Soon and after that just black. I think I need to take a hike and Money to a different provider. Just a shame I have no problems other the this.

Mike

16. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Known issue. Set a manual timer to start recording 1 minute in.

17. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    What's really a PITA is when you are gonna be out and miss the first part of a game---so you stupidly set your DVR to the HD channel and get over an hour of "Check back often to see if your favorite teams is playing in HD"

that's a mistake I only made once

Even so, I don't think it qualifies as FRAUD

18. dishman1999

dishman1999 Registered User

Sep 26, 2011
    could customer buy bandwidth so that don't happen or is it more red tape we don't know about?

19. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    if you prefer watching sports cancel dish and go to directv.

Simple

CSN Bay Area is in HD

but with 2 games left in your season, you have time to think about your choices.

Unless your a sharks fan.

20. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Best of luck in the playoffs.....sorry about Vick......:D