The GREEN Thread

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, May 4, 2009.

1. May 4, 2009 #1 of 125
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The GREEN Thread...

...is a place for us to post our ideas for greening the planet, things we are actually doing ourselves to reduce our respective carbon footprints, and links to valuable energy-saving resources. The topic was placed in the OT (Off Topic) Forum to be accessible to all DBSTalk members, regardless of DBS or Cable affiliation.

Let's all do our part to contribute ideas, solutions and valuable links for the benefit of all our members, and ultimately, for our home, Planet Earth.

2. May 4, 2009 #2 of 125
    rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    the only thing i have done has been to change the light bulbs to CFL's and i wrapped the water heater in insulation.

i wish i could go solar or wind to help off set the electric bill

3. May 4, 2009 #3 of 125
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I filled up my Chrysler Aspen with E85 last weekend.

4. May 4, 2009 #4 of 125
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I ran across this article at Yahoo Green entitled "Five recycling mysteries solved!"

Here's how:http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_consumer/46/five-recycling-mysteries-solved.html

5. May 5, 2009 #5 of 125
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I have just finished the total rebuild of a house here that was damaged in Hurricane Jeanne in 2004. The project can be followed in pictues here: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/436_&page=all and the flier that I made about the project is here: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/110548499 I went a bit crazy on this project, not to make it "green", but to save the buyer some long term $$$ as a selling tool. "Green" is a selling tool. In the house I used a spray in foam insulation. This stuff is about 4x the cost of fiberglas batts, but, it works far better and totally seals the attic. http://www.icynene.com/ I installed a tankless whole house waterheater in the garage so that energy isn't wasted keeping water warm "just in case" you might need it. I really need to do this at my house also. The water heater will supply three showers at the same time with no problem. The new AC system is rated at 16 SEER, a step above the 13 that is currently required by code. http://www.althoffhome.com/res/Services/seer.htm The interior walls are all painted with 100% non toxic paint http://www.mythicpaint.com/ (expensive stuff). The countertops/vanity tops are all quartz, a cleaner, healthier surface (and more expensive) than granite. http://www.silestoneusa.com/ The pool is a saltwater pool, meaning the owner (currently me) never has to add any chorine to the pool. Last summer I was adding chlorine nearly everyday. I haven't had to do so for about 8 months since I installed this system. http://www.compupool.com.au/product/salt_water-cpsc_self_cleaning.html http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_advantages_and_disadvantages_of_a_saltwater_swimming_pool

The reason that I did most of this is for the long term $$$ savings to the buyer, something that I consider a big selling tool. I did not do it because I am a global warming alarmist, far from. Going green in a house ain't cheep, but I think it is worth it in the long run.

6. May 5, 2009 #6 of 125
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    I did the CFL thing about two years ago. Recently I purchasesd a Kill-A-Watt meter and tested everything in the house. I've been using the data I gathered to trim down on my electric use.

Some of my changes so far.
    * Disconnected one rarely used HR20
    * Turn off a ceiling fan I've normally left on 24/7 when I'm not home.
    * Turn off porch lights (CFL) which were not on a timer and left on 24/7.
    * Installed a surge strip with remote on/off switch to turn off PC peripherals(USB hard drives) when I'm not using them.
    * Installed a surge strip that cuts power to all my home theatre equipment when not in use (no DVR there).
    * Trimmed down the number of hours the pool pump runs.
    * Made adjustments to the waterbed heater

Admittedly I did most of this to cut down on electric costs. The one I'm still debating would be replacing my 15 year ond fridge in the garage with a new chest freezer. I can get a significant power savings but the numbers don't work out considering the upfront costs plus i loose the fridge part which i kinda like but don't absolutely need.

I'm also seriously considering moving the 2 esata drives from my HR20's internal.

7. May 5, 2009 #7 of 125
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I installed a tankless water heater about 3 years ago (it's been on the fritz lately and is MUCH more difficult to diagnose / repair than a traditional one) but sometimes I wonder if it couldn't be even more efficient. I've been thinking of some kind of small storage solution at the point of need so it doesn't have to turn on and off in such short burst when someone just runs a little water for rinsing something off, etc.

Like Richard my pool is (and has been since I had it installed 9 years ago) on a salt system / chlorine generator. I did it at the time to make it easy to maintain, no thoughts given to it being "greener". For the new bar counter tops we did concrete which is supposedly the new darling of the "green" crowd - but we did it to be different and because it looks cool.

I replaced my traditional Washer and Dryer with HE front loaders, but again this was primarily for convenience / performance rather than them being "green". Incidentally the washer doesn't actually play well with the HE water heater because it draws water in such short bursts as opposed to a long sustained draw. I wash almost everything in cold but the washer also has an incoming water temperature sensor and draws some hot water to bring the "cold' water temperature up to the recommended temperature.

However my absolute favorite things are NOT green: 60" & 50" Plasmas, 62" DLP, two DVRs, one 5.1 and one 7.1 surround systems, 6 pinball machines and a V8 BMW! :D

8. May 5, 2009 #8 of 125
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Washer and dryer are a couple of items that I am leaving for the buyer. Too many choices out there today for me to make that decision for them. The other item I am leaving is the finishing of the closets, once again, because of all the options.

9. May 5, 2009 #9 of 125
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I can't do CFL's as I don't like the output, but all my lights come on at 83% via a Lutron system. Several loads (garage, closets, attic, daughter's room) time out after a specified time. I am going to try the Philips Halogena bulbs which are 30% more efficient when I need to replace any bulbs.

Most of my power lawn equipment is now 4-Stroke (chainsaw and blower are only 2-Strokes left).

As I get time, I go into the attic and try and seal any air leaks I find.

And I got a new truck. An '08 F-350 with the cleaner diesel engine. Not sure if it is worth it as it gets 5 MPG less than my old diesel. Smells much better though.

10. May 5, 2009 #10 of 125
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    This is a good topic. I have been chaning lots of bulbs to CFLs lately. Recently, I changed lots of outside bulbs over. This is a nice energy savings as some of these bulbs are left on all night every night, so changing one bulb can save a couple of bucks a month right away.

THe only issue I have seen is that CFLs attract bugs much more than the incandescents they replaced. I assume this is due to the color temperature being closer to sunlight. I see they make yellow bug bulbs in CFL now. Has anyone used them? I hate normal yellow bulbs because they put out too crappy quality of light. I was wondering if the CFL buig bulbs are the same way. Also, I was wondering if I could get one of the warner CFLs for these lights and if that would help a little?

11. May 5, 2009 #11 of 125
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Did CFLs years ago,insulated water heater and pipes also.

Most recently acquired 3 old Tandy power switching systems these are the old school plug in switchers that normally sat under the CRT monitor and has the following switches (Master,Computer,Monitor,Aux1,Aux2,Printer)

With a strip from a label maker I use them to control DC power transformers,Chargers,Rack system components,Lighting etc.:)

Also working on an invention to control what I call run away heating cycles in the middle of winter.

12. May 5, 2009 #12 of 125
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  13. May 5, 2009 #13 of 125
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007

Many advances have been made with CFLs to make them safer and faster starting,sorry to hear you have had such problems.

I have had several burn out but never a fire,one older CFL stunk up the house pretty bad but didn't cause any other problem.

The ones with the twisty tubes are the new generation,older ones have straight tubes that are linked at the top.

14. May 5, 2009 #14 of 125
    jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    Lots of CFL bulbs replaced within the last year

New Engergy star efficent Washer and dryer back in March

1 of my older sets died and bought a small Flat secrren to replace that

Added insulation in the attic and re-insulated basement back in November

Used thermo seal plastic on the 2 garage windows.

This summer my 20+ year old Whirlpool window A/C is going BYE BYE and buying a new efficent and LIGHTER ONE:D (no more calling my brother up to help me):D

This past winter i set both zones at 64 and left it alone :lol: wasn't too cold at all.

15. May 5, 2009 #15 of 125
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
  16. May 5, 2009 #16 of 125
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I have a small, one bedroom, apartment attached to my house that I rent out. When I bought the house it had two window heat/cool air conditioner units mounted in the block wall (one for the bedroom, one for the living room). Both of them died within a couple of years of buying the house, so I replaced them with similar units. Both of those died in under five years. These things, being heat and cool units were not cheap, so, I went way out on a limb and bought two of these: http://www.mrslim.com/Products/item...oryID=140&ProductCategoryID=24&ProductID=1488. This is a ductless two part AC/Heat pump unit. They have been in for about 3 years and have been quite good. They are DEAD SILENT in the apartment and the outside unit makes very minimal noise. They really are quite impressive. I sealed up the holes from the old units, sheetrocked over the inside damage and had a professional installation done for the Mitsubishi units. So far, so good. I'm sure they are much more efficent than the wall mounted window units that I had been using.

17. May 5, 2009 #17 of 125
    jbeskow

jbeskow Mentor

Oct 24, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've been going green by:
    1) replacing burned out light bulbs with CFL bulbs.
    2) only wash clothes in warm or cold water (I don't use hot) and the clothes still are very clean
    3) have thermostat in house at 68 in winter and 78 in summer.
    4) buy vehicles that are fuel efficient (no SUVs) and try to use the most fuel efficient vehicle when we can. We don't have E-85 because I believe when including farm equipment and opporunity cost on the corn it doesn't save energy. I would like to see more grass and other items used to make E-85 instead of corn then I would consider switching.
    5) recycle everything we possibly can (glass, plastic, paper including junk mail - but we do shread personal information though, etc.) (our recycling been is about equal to our trash each week)
    6) my wife and I are always thinking about environmently safe products.
    7) our next vehicle will probably be a hybrid
    8) donate old items or things you don't use rather than throw them away
    9) try to avoid wasting any food products

I do wish it was more reasonably priced to go even greener. I would love to see more solar and wind energy! I personally believe the government should quit the subsidies to oil and move them to new renewable energy sources so they can become affordable to most Americans.

I grew up in an environment that my mother would always teach us about recycling and not wasting anything.

18. May 5, 2009 #18 of 125
    jbeskow

jbeskow Mentor

Oct 24, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Oh, and if I receive credit card offers or other junk mail I call to have my name removed from their mailing or calling list. The company saves money by not having to mail me items and it reduces waste while also protecting my identity so I don't have to worry about someone stealing my mail and filling out one of the offers.

I think Michael from the Office would call this a win, win, win situation. :)

19. May 5, 2009 #19 of 125
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    pretty much all CFL.. some regular floressent lights.. can't put them in the bathroom or bedroom due to dimming needs..
    saved about 20-30$ a month with the CFLs.
    Also I have all LCD TVs.. plasmas would cost me 50+$ more a month to run..
    Also debating about upgrading my server to a more efficient system..

20. May 6, 2009 #20 of 125
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    There is no way in HELL I'll ever buy into this whole green fad. Here's my list of credits:

1) No CFLs in the house and there never will be, ceiling fan and desk light all have 150 watt plain old lightbulbs
    2) All computers remain powered up 24/7
    3) A/C is set at 60-65 degrees in the summer
    4) Don't recycle
    5) Drive an SUV with a V8 that gets less then 14MPG
    6) Still get paper statements, even though everything is billed automatically though my credit card and paid online
    7) Supporter of ExxonMobil
    8) Will not patronize establishments that go overboard on the whole 'Going Green' fad