The H3 has me thinking about upgrading to the Hopper system

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by naustin, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1 of 17
    naustin

naustin New Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Texas
    The Hopper3 sounds great but I've got questions.... I'm currently using a 612 with a couple of 211s. All three have external hard disks (EHDs) and use the built-in powerline features to connect to my local router.
    1. Does the H3 have powerline or WiFi built in or must I add a USB WiFi adapter?
    2. Is network access even needed on Joeys with the coax to the H3?
    3. The EHD on my 612 has a lot of stuff I'd like to keep, can I move that EHD to the H3? The 211 EHDs are just for time/view shifting.

Thanks for the help and any other suggestions about possibly moving to the Hopper universe. The 90s are calling me and they want their old gear back. :grin:

Edit: Thanks for the good feedback, I did the upgrade to the H3 with a couple of 4K Joeys.

2. Apr 9, 2016 #2 of 17
    oldsmobileglory

oldsmobileglory New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    1. Hopper 3 has built in Wifi.

2. Hopper 3 bridges the internet to the Joeys through coax.

3. You can just move your EHD to the Hopper 3, you may not have the "art", but you can still watch the shows/movies.

The Hopper 3 is a great piece. I have had it since the first week it came out. I think you will be glad to upgrade since the 612's user interface is so dated. The remote is different and is smaller with less buttons, but does the job.

3. Apr 9, 2016 #3 of 17
    bill-e

bill-e AllStar

Apr 13, 2006
    I kust upgraded from a 922 and it is significantly more advanced. Integration with Netflix and other internet based TV and movie sites make on demand viewing a seamless breeze.

Forgot to set a timer and you dont realize it till episode 4? No problem. When you search for the show to record it will often also show you the on-demand access for episodes 1-3 as well as the not yet aired #4

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The 612's EHD should be viewable on the Hopper 3... but not the ones you have connected to the 211s. It sounds like you already knew/suspected that part based on your post, though. I just wanted to confirm.

5. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I have my Hopper3 Ethernet plugged into a powerline network adapter - works fine.

6. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    A couple questions on Hopper 3 from someone who hasn't had any DVR yet.

1. For a Hopper/Joey set up in place of our four current stand alone receivers is some type of rewiring necessary?

2. We enjoy our OTA antenna capability with our living room unit where the Hopper 3 would now be. Does Hopper 3 have that capability?

Thanks anyone.

7. bill-e

bill-e AllStar

Apr 13, 2006
    1. Not an expert here but as long as your installation is at least RG6 then no rewiring will be necessary. They will have to change the dish and LNA's and the switch.
    2. You'll need to add this - https://www.mydish.com/support/usb-digital-ota-tuner

8. naustin

naustin New Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Texas
    Based on everybody's feedback, I called DISH and did the H3 upgrade with two 4K Joeys. The upgrade and installation was free EXCEPT the 4K Joeys each come with a one time $50 equipment charge. So it cost me $100. It is not ideal but I'd rather pay now, rather than getting free regular Joeys that I have to upgrade later.

The installer was out within 24 hours. The install took about 2.5 hours, changing my Switch & Sat dish. Most of the time was waiting for software downloads & updates. Currently my 4K Joeys wont run the Netflix App (clicking on it yields an error message that the App isn't yet supported). I'm very pleased with my new Hopper 3 which does run Netflix.

1 person likes this.
  9. SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Should have pushed it. Got all fees waved.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    From many posts, the 4K Joey is $50 and no one has reported getting them free yet.

11. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Do the old Joeys work with the H3? I'll never need 4k where the 2 Joeys are. Buying a Vizio p65 for the living room, and really like the specs on the Hopper.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The latest version of the old Joeys work with the H3. DISH will upgrade any old Joeys to the compatible JoeyCR when they install the H3.

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Right and any they replace are free of upfront cost. Only the 4K (and maybe the wireless?) have an upfront fee.

14. SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    I paid for nothing. Got a tech out once for the Hopper 3 and the next weekend for the 4K Joey. No upgrade fees no anything but the monthly extra for the Hopper 3. I've also been a customer for almost 15 years too.

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I know when you get your first wireless Joey you have to pay $50 (I think $50) for the Access Point... but I don't know if you have to pay any more to get additional WiFi Joeys.

16. SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    It's opposite now. You buy the joey and rent the access point.

17. bill-e

bill-e AllStar

Apr 13, 2006
    Just convinced my SIL to upgrade from a 722 w/sling to the H3...everything was free.

We're on DSL so no need for 4k.