The Houston Astros Sign Stealing Scandal

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The Astros have admitted to digital sign stealing in 2017. The players have received immunity in this but the manager and general manager have been fired after receiving a one year ban (IIRC). The team has been fined 5 million dollars and lost draft picks. Is it enough?

The investigation into the Red Sox has not been finished but their manager has been fired too. Alex Cora was involved in the Astros' scandal. Then he became the manager of the Red Sox and they were caught too.

Lots of outrage about all this, what do you think?

Rich

2. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    It’s always the coaches and staff that get fired, never the players.

3. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    they can't do anything else, i don't know what the public wants Baseball to do! lose a season over this? trying to fight the players associated?

4. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    That is incorrect...Right from the mouth of MLB....The players that got caught doping took the hit, no management or ownership was reprimanded, yet they all knew who was taking performance enhancing drugs.

Many of those player will never get to the hall of fame, or will have an asterisk added!

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And Pete Rose will never be in the Hall of Fame ... Despite the lesser penalties for greater violations that MLB currently hands out.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The players were given immunity if they confessed. That's the problem. MLB obviously didn't want to get in a fight with the players' union. But, that deal was written with the assumption that all those interviewed and granted immunity would be facing some kind of punishment if they lied. That might still happen. Suppose someone on the Astros said he had worn a buzzer or vibrator during some games. That would refute everything Altuve and Correa have said and they'd be facing some sort of punishment. Might happen, might not.

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What do we want to see happen? That's what this thread is about. What do you want to see? What I don't want to see is the game itself screwed up any more than it is now. This scandal isn't going away.

Rich

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The owners of baseball and football teams are treated like princes in this country. They should be held liable for all these problems. To think the owners and general managers knew nothing is naive. Any good owner/manager knows what's going on.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Compared to what the Astros have done...well, Pete doesn't seem so bad these days. And legal sports betting is gonna be nation wide before we know it. Let Rose in, been saying that for years. He was too good a player to be punished so harshly, I think.

Rich

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    MLB should vacate the World Series winner, but they won't. They most likely can't get the money back from the players or force them to give the rings back anyway.

11. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i know this scandal isn't going away and i hope, i wrong but with the Baker hired to a 1 year contact i hope they don't let them bring back A. J. Hinch next season, i would have them play with their Triple A Team this season, but that would be a nightmare to do

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think the commissioner is gonna have to do something soon. Far too much backlash to ignore this and hope it goes away. I would not be surprised to see Pete Rose suddenly eligible for the HoF because of this.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hiring Baker for one year was a mistake. He doesn't deserve to be treated this way. The owner of the Astros is another arrogant guy that thinks he can talk his way out of anything. Hinch has done everything he could to mitigate this, he's fallen on his sword to some extent. I don't think he deserves another chance but I would not be surprised to see him back in the manager's seat.

Rich

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'd like to see Pete in the HOF, but I wonder what the optics would be. The better optics would be to be more stringent now, not to go back and say "breaking the rules doesn't matter". I'd separate Pete's eligibility as far as possible from the current day scandals. The message needs to be "the penalty was too harsh" not "the penalty should not have been given".

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I didn't mean he should be absolved from past sins. He was given a chance to fess up before this ban went into affect and he chose not to. If they were willing to let his eligibility stand then why not now? I really think he's paid for what he's done, let them vote...let's see what happens. I do think the penalty was too harsh. And if they ever let Bonds in and Pete's still out...

Rich

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Astros should be ripped of their World Series title. Period.

The owner is an idiot. He claims it had no affect then right after said he didn’t say that. Get real.

It had an affect. They wouldn’t have gone to that much work if they didn’t think it gave them an advantage!!!!

And when you win a series the way they did with so many close games and oddly perfectly timed hitting against top pitchers on so many occasions and it only would have taken one of those at bats, one of them in the entire series to have the cheating help you win the entire series then you won because of it.

You can’t say they wouldn’t have won without the help but you sure as he’ll can’t say they won it no matter what.

And the commissioner is getting ripped and should. When you have mike trout talking about it that says it all right there.

I don’t care about taking money back etc but they shouldn’t be listed as winners that year and the trophy should have their names removed.

What I keep finding amazing is they where told to not cheat right before the playoffs too!!! And they kept going!!

And they haven’t even fired the people who cane up with an implemented the scheme either! They still work for the astros!!!! The owner needs to actually clean house or be removed from ownership.

If the nba can kick out Donald sterling for something that’s an aside to basketball then surely baseballs can get rid of one for actually cheating.

Let them all sue. Look at how that turned out for sterling! He got nowhere!

the2130 and Rich like this.
  17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well said! Yeah, I'd like to see Crane lose the club. I'd like to see some more sanctions on the players. The more I think about it the more I think the whole organization needs to be replaced. New owner, new management team...that would send a message.

Rich

the2130 likes this.
  18. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    The problem for Rose is that he wouldn't come clean and admit what he did. He flatly denied the facts and refused to admit any guilt in the face of overwhelming evidence. That continued for more than 20 years and hardened the opposition to his reinstatement. That's one of the reasons there is so much outrage over the Astros cheating. They aren't showing any contrition and the owner even claimed they didn't benefit from the cheating, which is preposterous.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The owners of MLB and NFL teams are treated as princes would be in Europe. He's gonna get away with that nonsense.

Rich