1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Importance of Spelling

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1 of 128
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    From Craig's List Personals:

looking for a dead friend - m4m

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2012-07-15, 2:58PM EDT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wanting a deaf friend or someone who knows asl. I miss that connection! Hmu! :)

2. Jul 16, 2012 #2 of 128
    la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    well, im the king of wrong spelling and grammer, heck as long as people understand or have an idea what im a saying that's good enough for me.

However, reading the above, i would double check especially if i wrote the word dead in somewhere.

3. Jul 16, 2012 #3 of 128
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Spelling is important, as is grammar.

It's the difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

4. Jul 16, 2012 #4 of 128
    blindraccoon

blindraccoon Cool Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Poor spellers of the world UNTIE!

5. Jul 16, 2012 #5 of 128
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Dead friends who know asl offer excellent companionship, I'm sure. :sure:

6. Jul 16, 2012 #6 of 128
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The ship has sailed... (or for those who can't spell, the ship has saled.)

Too many people don't care, and people get madder over being corrected than they do over actual tragedies in the world... priorities are skewed and places you never used to see errors have them almost daily.

I'm not perfect, and I appreciate when I am corrected so that hopefully I don't make the same mistake again... but I've mostly given up on the rest of the world caring about spelling or grammar.

7. Jul 16, 2012 #7 of 128
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I wish board admins would get tougher on some of this. All boards across the web, not just here.

I completely ignore quite a few people here even if I may have the answer they're looking for. If they can't bother to make their posts legible, I can't bother to read them.

8. Jul 16, 2012 #8 of 128
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I blame the people who would rather correct people than listen to what they were trying to say.

Yes, poor spelling and grammar can get in the way of getting a point across. There have been times where bad spelling or grammar have left a sentence so messed up that it could not be understood. But people who refuse to look beyond a misspelled word or a dangling participle and spend their time correcting others instead of listening to what they have to say don't deserve to be spoken to. I hope that they enjoy dying alone after driving away most potential companions with their constant corrections.

I want people to care more about what is said than a misspelled word. Get your priorities straight.

9. Jul 16, 2012 #9 of 128
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Poor grammar bothers me more than poor spelling.

In some ways, spelling will take care of itself. Computers don't work if you can't spell. Google does a pretty good job of spell correction when you enter a search phrase but try to search a database if you can't spell. It doesn't work.

But poor grammar is much more irritating to me. "I lent the DVD to my boss early last week." So who was your boss later last week?

And I'm one of the sticklers when it comes to loan vs. lend. Lend is a verb. Loan is a noun. I know this rule is regularly broken but the sentence, "I loaned the DVD to my boss," sounds plain wrong to my ear.

I'm fighting a losing battle on this last one. Such is my life as a member of the grammar police force.

10. Jul 16, 2012 #10 of 128
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Do dyslexic atheists question the existence of dog?

11. Jul 16, 2012 #11 of 128
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    All I have to say is "he who is without sin cast the first stone". We all make spelling and grammar mistakes. I might ask someone for clarification if I don't understand their writings but nitpicking their grammar and spelling is like the pot calling the kettle black.

12. Jul 16, 2012 #12 of 128
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If this site banned people for typos... well more than one current or former mod would be out the door... :lol:

13. Jul 16, 2012 #13 of 128
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Or if they have insomnia: They lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog? :)

14. Jul 16, 2012 #14 of 128
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    One man's nitpick is another man's fingernails on a chalk board.

"Me and my friends went to the beach yesterday." No! "My friends and I went to the beach yesterday." When I hear the first, which unfortunately is much more common today than the latter, I just want to scream. It's all I can do to not correct them.

Yes, I know it's my problem, not theirs, but there are rules, dagnabit!

And I won't relieve myself of the responsibility for obeying the rules of grammar. If you see an editing notice attached to one of my posts, most likely it is because I corrected my grammar.

15. Jul 16, 2012 #15 of 128
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Apparently, the humor of the subject post was lost on all but a few. :sure:

16. Jul 16, 2012 #16 of 128
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm not talking about the occasional error. I'm talking about the few people that almost always post unintelligible gibberish. Those that rarely or never use punctuation and those that post run-on groups of words without any effort at trying to make sentences.

While some may still be trying to learn English or may be handicapped and are using some sort of aid or appliance to type, I don't think either is the case for most of the people I'm referring to.

I think it's more about using some sort of mobile phone or other device and just not caring about what spills out.

17. Jul 16, 2012 #17 of 128
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Yesterday in one of my post I was going to write the word "period" but could not remember how to spell it. I had to call someone to spell it for me.

18. Jul 16, 2012 #18 of 128
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^ If you could remember how to spell it, why did you have to call someone?

Apparently, the humor of the subject post was lost on all but a few.

No, we got it. The thread just morphed is all.

19. Jul 16, 2012 #19 of 128
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    +1.

But then again, maybe the poster that the OP quoted was looking for a dead friend. It was from Craig's List after all. :lol:

20. Jul 16, 2012 #20 of 128
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't refuse to engage or help someone just because they make an error. I agree with James on that point... that IF I understand what they mean, then I don't withhold conversation or aid just to be a stickler on spelling or grammar.

However... what I don't like is how the mere mention of "that's not how it is spelled" or "proper grammar would be..." brings anger and "how dare you" out of people.

What happened to being able to help people in that was as well?

For example... this being a DBS site... IF I see a post that has spelling and grammar errors, but I understand what the poster means... I feel like I should be able to help with their problem AND point out the spelling and grammar errors. However, I know that even if I help with the problem, the grammar/spelling corrections will be met with "it's not important" or "shut up" or something like that.

The flip side to "why not respond and ignore the error" is "why can't they accept that my answer includes some additional feedback on their post"?

However, aside from joking, I've learned that people just don't care and get far too angry... so it usually isn't worth offering spelling/grammar advice.

I think that is a shame... Communication is going downhill.. and we've discussed before how informal communications is less important than formal communication... but the problem is that no one gets corrected anywhere anymore... so the things that are "fine" on a forum post find their way into formal documents too...

Long story short... they don't have to learn it from me, but it would be nice if they would learn it somewhere.