The Incredible Shrinking Phone Book

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Oct 24, 2014.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Just got the new area phone book put out by a private publisher that covers 5 counties. At first I thought it was a joke, maybe a preview of the real one to come.

It's 6" by 9" and about 140 pages.

I've seen bigger pamphlets for vacation spots. The dealer brochure I have for my '96 car is probably bigger in page square inches.

For fun, I dug out one of the older ones from 2008. (What, you mean you don't save them?)

It's 7 x 10 1/2 and around 280 pages.

Same book, same area, same company.

If I can find one of the even older ones from around 2000, I'm pretty sure it will be even more disparate.

1 person likes this.
  2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The yellow pages have mostly been replaced by the Internet.

3. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    This has nothing to do with population but, my oldest phonebook is from the year of 1919. May 20th of that year. This ook has two columns of listings on each page.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    As more drop the landline, those entries are lost from the phonebook.

I don't keep them, really have never needed it. I have the phone numbers for my ISP and electric company in my phone, not that my ISP has ever been of use during an outage,

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've learned to keep one of the local yellow pages around. Just to find electrician, plumber, etc. . . since the one I called years ago isn't around anymore and web searches for locals aren't very productive.

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    A decade or so ago, the three "local metropolitan Yellow Pages I advertised in broke into eight phone books, and the competing "One Book" broke into three, which made a lot of sense for them, because pizza delivery stores and dry cleaners get all of their customers from a radius of just a few miles so they do not benefit from exposure to millions of readers who will never call them.

The good news for me was, since I got one "proof" copy of each every year, I could use them as jack stand when I worked on my car. The bad news was, those jack stands were costing me about $20,000 a year, so I eventually wound up dropping all of them

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been gathering business cards from local craftsmen, that seems to work better than Angie's List or any other method I've tried. I also ask them to refer me to others who do different, but fair, work. Anytime I see a truck parked with someone in it, I ask them for a card.

Rich

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've been doing that too, but maybe it's been the economy, but in the past few years it's been hard to find good trade guys. And the good ones disappear.

The yellow pages have come in handy when the power or internet is out.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    People find out about the good contractors pretty quickly. Then they don't have to advertise anymore. Just stick their signs in the front yards and they can't keep up with the demand for their services. I use a couple guys like that. Have to schedule them well in advance.

Rich

10. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    There just seems to be a lack of good handymen / trade (elec/plumbers/ hvac) around here. But everybody's got a trailer and a couple of mowers / blowers / weed wackers. No license, no bonding, all cash.

But there's a lot of contractors tonning it on the mega houses. One of the model homes just sold since the development doesn't need the model any more. What did the lady do before moving in? She replaced 12 toilets!! Even though they had never been used, she couldn't.

11. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    post #11 above reported as SPAM.

Post removed

12. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Notice its post time was around the time this forum had its server issue - 3AM.

13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Yellow and whites pages are waste of good paper nowadays. There are good alternatives available, plus the ever-trusty word of mouth.

14. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I didn't think to use Google translate on it. . . did anyone?

15. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I only saw it in my email notification, which I've already trashed.

16. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Actually if you soak them in water, they make very good ballistics material. We did this to about 10 books and lined them up in a box and show various "personal defender" rounds into them. They do a pretty good job of showing how the rounds will spread.

17. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I find the yellow pages to be useful for services that actually need to be local (plumbers, lawyers, electricians, etc.) Internet just gives national results, even those that claim not to. Other than that, it is a waste.

Still, I get like 6 phone books, one from the real phone company and five off-brands.

18. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    The Atlanta phone book used to come as a set of 5 with A-L White Pages, M-Z White Pages, A-L Yellow pages, M-Z Yellow pages, and a Business White pages. The 1st 4 being about 2" thick each and the last about an inch. There's no way they'd fit in one drawer so I kept them in the front closet. AT&T stopped delivering phonebooks all together a few years ago. I used to get a couple non-phone company yellow page-only that were a smaller page size and only about an inch thick. I haven't even gotten that this year. I'd think we're saving a lot of trees not distributing them anymore.

Semi-related to the topic... when I lived in Australia, an ad for their yellow pages deadline spawned the catch phrase, "Not happy, Jan!" that some folks still used today. (Someone said it in conversation and then had to explain it to me :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9tiaY-2Qo

19. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just got a B&H Photo catalog in the mail. I hadn't seen one in over a decade. It is nearly 500 pages thick, which might be close to the number of pages when it was at its peak, but the paper is thinner so at 5/8", I still can't use it to further prop my auto jack-stand.

I must have made my way onto a sucker list to get one of these, because I just can't believe it is worth their while to send one out blindly. It was sent to me at my company address, but I don't think I've paid over $100 for a catalog purchase of any type of product they sell in years.

Getting back to the above reference to the Atlanta and other big city, single edition phonebooks, there was an intermediate downsizing that took place well over a decade ago,dividing many large cities into sub phonebooks, because there were many businesses that simply found no value in advertising city-wide, like local retailers. Long ago, an acquaintance who was managing a dry cleaners said there was nothing he could tell a person in an adjoining town about his facility that would make it worth their while to drive five miles to do business with him rather than get the same service locally, so all advertising could do for him was to get people within a few miles to bring him more business.

20. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I had a friend from New York City back in the 1950's. He got five phone books each year (one for each borough, maybe?). He tossed the books into his closet and called the operator for information whenever he needed to dial (not punch) a new number.

Yes, phone books are getting smaller due to cell phones and unlisted numbers. I think it's ridiculous for the phone companies to charge a monthly fee to NOT have your number printed in the directory. A one-time charge to remove the number from the print directory should be enough, but of course the provider gets more income with a monthly fee.