The Last Ship (TNT)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Red Orc, Jul 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Has any one else been watching this? Pretty good show
    It's about a naval carrier that was out at the Antartic and they find out that some super flu has decimated the entire planet's population.
    There's a scientist on board who thinks she can develop a vaccine.
    The Commander & XO are probably the best characters so far.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrh88IYsfY

1 person likes this.
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yep, I watch it. It is pretty good.

1 person likes this.
  3. APBIDDLE

APBIDDLE Cool Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Pretty good, but it is a destroyer, not a carrier.

1 person likes this.
  4. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Cordova, TN
    I'm watching it and I like it so far. Thankfully not cheesy and poorly written so far.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

1 person likes this.
  5. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    Pretty good so far, have watched all episodes!!

Rachel from Strike Back on Cinemax.

BTW, the destroyer was in the ARCTIC, not Antarctica :grin:

1 person likes this.
  6. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks for the correction.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It was also the Arctic, not Antarctic. :)

8. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    And it was on station there for 4 months without refueling or replenishing. Amazing. And it was able to make a full power run to Gitmo at the end of that time. :grin:

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Damn nitpickers!

:alterhase

1 person likes this.
  10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Well, they did siphon fuel from a cruise ship on the way. :p

1 person likes this.
  11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    OK, did I miss something, because last I knew (the previous ep), they were down to one engine, and that intermittent. No separate generators! Then, at the opening of the last ep. they are running full bore to Central America. HUH? Again, I may have missed the fix of all the ship's equipment, but where was it?

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes you did. At the end of the previous episode they were going to "repair" everything (hence the R&R). At the start of this episode the Captain said to the Chief Engineer "Good Job on fixing everything" (or something to that effect). Notice how she is walking well again? Clearly some time had passed between episodes even though it didn't look like that.

13. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Heh. A major lapse between "everything needs fixing, we'll fix it all!!"—and presto, blam! Everything is at full power. Especially since they were so pressed for time. (original estimates were a week for each broken engine) And, yeah, I heard the Captain's praise on the fix... But you caught the Chief's amazing recovery; I didn't notice that! But the show is holding together pretty well- much better than that other one where the population has been decimated. (And there's a lot of smoking and white outfits....)

14. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    The Ltjg Engineering Officer fixed everything himself while the ChEng was recovering. Another nit :grin: - the writers confused naval officers with merchant marines where the engineering officers actually work on the main plant machinery.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just tried to read the book the show is based on. The only thing the show has in common with the book is the name. It was written by William Brinkely in 1988 and uses a completely different ship and the storyline is completely different. The author is boring, but I do remember reading it way back when. I would not recommend this book to anyone. He's far too descriptive.

Rich

16. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    This is not unusual..... Have you seen the movie 'World War Z'? Try reading the book. About the only things common are 'zombies', the 'Israel wall' and 'India/Pakistan battles'.... Everything else is a completly different story line.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I saw the movie. Thought it was predictable. I had the book, don't remember reading it. I gather it's better than the movie? Worst Brad Pitt movie I ever saw.

Rich

18. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    ln most cases the book is always better than the movie that is made from it. With books, there is so much more time to build the storyline. In this case, the book is written as a guy researching the war after it is over interviewing many people involved in it. I enjoyed it better than the movie...

1 person likes this.
  19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm glad you wrote that in the way you did. My two favorite awful books are The Bridge Over the River Kwai and The Planet of the Apes. Both written by Pierre Boulle. I think they were both translated from French and are awful reads. Liked the movies, hated the books. You might ask how anyone could "hate" a book, try reading one of these awful books and you'll see what I mean.

But, I agree with you, most books are much better than the movies. I like to read the books the movies are derived from first so that I have an idea what the movie or series is about. In the case of The Last Ship, the show and the book have nothing to do with each other and the only similarities are the name of the show and book and the name of the ship. Which isn't an Arleigh Burke destroyer in the book.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  20. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I love how the US Naval ship looks as if it just left dry dock for a complete overhaul, and the similar Russky vessel looks like it's been at sea for ten years....

Oh, no, now I am in the Russian Captain's mess, complete with very fine china and golden rimmed goblets. Oh, and classical music in the b/g.....Two women- a woman and a girl, nicely dressed at the table with the Captain.