The Late Show w Stephen Colbert timer weirdness

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by neilo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    For some unknown reason my timer for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is not picking up this week's shows, though it does see next week's shows (which are currently listed as repeats). In the guide the shows are there and I did a "record this" on each of the episodes this week after it failed to record Monday night's show.

Are other people seeing this? Does anyone know what is happening?

I've worked around the issue this week, but I am curious as to what is going on.

I have a Hopper w Sling with the new menu system.

2. jessshaun

jessshaun Legend

Sep 13, 2005
    I noticed the exact same thing. Glad it isn't just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    Same here, the reason it's not recording, even though the description says it's a "New" episode is because it did not have an episode number nor original air date...Like others said, I manually set the record timer...hopefully that will be corrected...don't know why the episode number and original air date has been omitted...

4. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Sounds like the same issue discussed here:

EPG Weirdness - change in provider

Basically, the ability to set reliable timers, a major feature of any DVR and a service that some people pay each month to have, was broken four months ago with a firmware update.

That is not to say that timers were the only thing affected by that update. Which reminds me I was going to add something to that thread.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Will editing the timer to record all episodes help?

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Tonight's show shows as "to be recorded". I guess I'll find out in 12 minutes. No recordings since 6/9 were saved.

7. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    Should have recorded because the guide description is now showing the episode number and original air date...I guess their timer software logic does not key on the word "New" but matches the air date to today's date and if they match the timer is set...

neilo likes this.
  8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It recorded. Most of the problems I have seen have been fixed within a couple of days. I'd rather not see problems.

9. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    IIRC, what you see as "New" in a description is for your benefit. The actual "New" the timer uses is different. Or, it use to work that way. As to the "air date", the timer must use something else because I've had timers fire and in the description the "air date" was years off.

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Another new twist in the timer issue is that the guide changes. I will set the timer to record a movie on TCM. The movie is indeed listed in the guide. I set it up and find today, the guide has changed. Instread of listing the movie, it lists TCM Classic movies, so no mention of the movie. I had to go in a set a generic manual timer to record that time segment. I hope that works. It is a constant battle to try and keep the DVR mode working. I used to set it for the 9 day period and it always worked.

11. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    It's probable that some sort of record-keeping is stored in each timers' file kept on our local disk, such as episode numbers that have already been recorded..

That is why very old programs will still record as "new episodes" if we set a timer for those old programs...I set a timer to record "New episodes" of the Jimmy Dean show and it records all episodes that I have not recorded before...this show is from the 50's and in B/W...☺☺☺

12. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    I'm glad it wasn't just me. After ~two days, suddenly the guide was corrected and I had two listings of it in my schedule, so I went back and deleted the extra timers and it is appears to be behaving appropriately.