The Leftovers

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by cdc101, Jul 19, 2014.

1. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    I have been looking for a thread on this new HBO series but haven't seen one yet.

I'm still watching but I'm also still on the fence. Anyone else watching or have any opinions?

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I have always been fascinated by the idea of how people would reacted to certain events such as proof of gods existence , UFO , Aliens and complete knowledge of how the universe came into existence. This show seems examine one of these question so I plan on watching it to its conclusion.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Much like the book, the show has taken a lot of criticism because of its obvious jab at "The Rapture" crowd. Novelist Tom Perrotta apparently wrote the book continuing to poke fun at American suburbia which he has in other books. This TV series is different. Here is from what I think is the best review:

You cannot raise doubts about the nebulous religious feelings of many (which apparently Perrotta sees as a logical part of narcissistic self-definition in that American creation - the suburbs) nor challenge the core beliefs of many others without creating instant mindless criticism in America. Right now the book at Amazon has 418 customer reviews with only having 184 four or five stars. And yet it was a New York Times Notable Book for 2011, a Washington Post Notable Fiction Book for 2011, a USA Today 10 Books We Loved Reading in 2011 Title, and one of NPR’s 10 Best Novels of 2011.

Along with "Extant" (CBS), "Gotham" (FOX), "Halt and Catch Fire" (AMC), "Outlander" (Starz), "Penny Dreadful" (Showtime) and "The Strain" (FX), "The Leftovers" was honored as Most Exciting New Series at the 4th Annual Critics' Choice Television Awards.

We watch the show and will watch the entire season. But it is clear the book offered "here's how poorly we react to stubbing our toe and other pains in which we can find no meaning to provide comfort" and I suspect the TV series will not add any additional overt answers to the big questions. It is not a comforting Roma Downey production.

4. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Now you got me interested in the book. I will put it on a back burner for now.

5. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    Why would we want fiction to depress us when we have 24/7 news channels?

2 people like this.
  6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I've been recording it but haven't started watching. Now that I've caught up on some shows I plan on starting this one.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I was surprised at how much I liked the premiere. Justin Theroux has always struck me as a quality actor, very under-rated.

My problem is the WTF factor. I think it is too easy to keep secrets about what is basically going on from the audience. All you have to do as a writer is not write. There is a temptation as a writer to think you are slowly peeling back the layers of an onion but what may really be happening is the writers are letting the show ride on that curiosity factor. Lost was guilty of this, but they revealed enough drip by drip to keep it from being frustrating. This show has a more-compressed schedule which will help (no breaks), but they must be mindful of that and not coast, or they will lose audience, drip by drip. A great premise is not enough; you have to deliver on that in every ep. Fingers crossed.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Thanks for some insights, folks. But I am struggling with the mute, all white-clad folks who all smoke a lot. Are they similar to the undead in other shows? Are they________?? ?? Do they represent__________?? ?? Help!

Somewhere I understood (read) that 80% had disappeared. Correct? And the weird people, seems to be small but growing?

9. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Two percent had disappeared.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is really weird and I am done with it as of tonight.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I didn't make it through the first episode. Still recording it and trying to decide if I should jump in, but so far no motivation.

I thought the first 5 minutes were cool, but it got creepy after that.

12. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    It didn't get creepy for me, just unwatchable. :)

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I've watched all episodes so far and every one of them makes me wonder why. It doesn't make any sense on so many levels, it is depressing as hell if you buy into it, and the story lines are disjointed with little buildup to the new character or situation.

And a semi-religious cult that doesn't talk and has smoking cigarettes as some part of their dogma is just crap!

Timer gone. If I want to be depressed, all I have to do is go to the golf course!! :)

14. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Not exactly blown away so far but interested. It's weird how nearly everybody in this show is so totally screwed in the head. Nearly all the characters are bat**** crazy.
    Nice to see Christopher Eccleston doing another series though.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    To me, it's depressing in part because I don't understand it. I keep feeling I have missed an episode.

And what is the Aerosmith heiress up to? Why is she involved trying to help the Amy Brenneman character?

And why are they smoking filter tip cigarettes? Straight Camels would be much more sinister! :)

1 person likes this.
  16. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    After 3 episode, I stopped watching. It wasn't making sense and the cigarettes bothered me too.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    At least it starts off not making sense unlike Lost where it took a few years before you couldn't follow it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I can't disagree with that in any way, dp, but I feel that if Lost had not been stretched out so far by ABC that it would have been quite easy to follow all the way through, because the quality was always there and the writers really never lost their way or painted themselves into any corners.

If you download it and binge watch, you are probably getting a better experience than ABC viewers had. My issue with Lost was it was so strectched out that you could lose the thread and not understand character's motivations because what motivated them happened so far back that as viewers it was hard to remember. Watching network television is like reading a chapter of one book, putting that down and reading a chapter of another book, and so on ad infinitum. I don't see that as a sensible way to consume serialized content.

And that ABC stretched the story out to fit it into ratings periods and avoid down periods like the holidays, summer, and the 4th of July is important. For one thing it points out how ABC was more interested in eyeballs that count during ratings periods than in providing a quality experience for their viewers. In a crowded landscape I think that is a great cautionary tale and object lesson for networks.

19. hrobbs

hrobbs AllStar

Jan 22, 2007
    I've watched every episode, didn't want to miss something new. But, this show is unwatchable, realized that when I had to force myself to watch last weeks episode. That after the absurd hour of the priest losing his "winnings" to the smoking, mute, white dressed nut jobs. Sorry, but this is worse than John From Cincinnati. Why again is HBO more expensive than Showtime?

20. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    There may be nothing sadder than someone who feels compelled to watch every episode of something that is unwatchable.

You have to know when to bail. If its not for you, its time, or maybe past time.

As to the HBO question, Showtime was always a dumbed-down version of HBO, and never had the same level of quality. It could never compete with Dennis Miller Live, The Larry Sanders Show, The Sopranos, Real Time, or countless comedy specials from legends like Carlin and Chris Rock.

Until a couple years ago, that is, when they started getting shows like Homeland, Ray Donavon, Master of Sex, etc (and when HBO stopped having as many great shows and comedy specials). Now they are on the same playing field level. But don't expect the cost of HBO to go down to the cost of Showtime. Instead, expect the opposite.

Or, ask Rupert M why Time Warner is worth 80 billion to him.