1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Linksys WMB54G Wireless Music Bridge

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    The Linksys WMB54G is a handy little gadget that hooks to your AVR via S/PDIF or L/R audio that will allow you to use your audio system as wireless remote speakers. Basically, what ever audio would come out of your PC gets redirected to the WMB54G instead, via your existing WiFi network. It works well and being digital all the way to the AVR means the sound quality is excellent.

What does this have to do with an HR-2x you might ask?

The WMB54G also has an Ethernet port that would allow you to use it on your wired network if you don't have WiFi. It is also used for initial configuration in some cases. It also has an undocumented use: It will act as a wireless bridge to the rest of your network.

I hooked the Ethernet port into the uplink port of an 8-port switch that my HR-20, HR-21, HD-DVD player and Yamaha RX-V2700 are also plugged in to and voilĂ ! My living-room network segment is now bridged wirelessly to the rest of my network and it took ZERO configuration.

Both my HRs access VoD and are seen by TVersity, which is on the other segment. And my Yammy's network features all work as well. I was finally able to remove the bright lime-green CAT-5 cable that was running down the hallway.

And the best part of it is that I used equipment I already had.

So if you happen to already have one of these as part of your home theater system, and you have an HR as well, there you go. No gaming adapters or wireless bridges needed.

And if you were considering spending the money on a WGA or bridge, you might want to consider the WMB54G instead. It's about the same price and has the additional benefit of being able to play your PC wirelessly through your stereo system.

2. jimcummings

jimcummings Cool Member

Jul 24, 2007
    So I can just configure this and then connect it to my HR20-100 and it should connect wirelessly with my network, correct?
    Jim

3. dedalus_00

dedalus_00 Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    Well, you sold me... I was looking to get a wireless bridge anyway, so why not get something that does more in addition. Geeks.com has this refurbished for 29.99 by the way for the value minded.

4. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Sweet!!!!!!
    I've been thinking about networking the HR21 for a couple of months but I was too cheap to buy a wireless bridge and the thought of dragging another cable through the walls/attic was not too appealing. Even with $8 shipping, you can't beat the geeks.com price.

5. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Yeah, pretty much.

6. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I just got one of these lastnight I can't seem to get my DVR to see the internet...

7. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Does it connect to your network and get an IP?

8. LooksLikeRain

LooksLikeRain New Member

May 16, 2008
    I am having a similar problem. If I connect the WMB54G direcly to my laptop using the CAT5 cable, then my laptop has no problems getting to the internet. However, the HR20 unit will not connect to the internet. I can see my IP, gateway, network status, and DNS settings on the HR20's screen. All have an OK message next to them. The last item in the checklist is the internet connection. It just fails, and I get an error telling me to check all of the connections.

Any ideas?

9. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Not really. If you've proved connectivity using your laptop then the bridge is working properly.

Dumb question: Does you laptop have a built-in wireless adapter and have you disabled it? (Just verifying you really are connecting through the bridge.)

Perhaps a Menu->Reset would help.

10. LooksLikeRain

LooksLikeRain New Member

May 16, 2008
    hehe...Yep. I have the wireless card disabled on the laptop and am connecting the PC to the bridge using the CAt5 cable. This seems to work fine. However, the HR20 can't seem to access the internet the same way the PC does using the exact same bridge with the exact same settings. Odd.

I also did a reset on the bridge and then manually configured it using the IP address and the menu (not the wizard on the cd this time). Still the same result. ::sigh::

11. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Does your HR-20 connect to the internet when hooked up to the Cat 5?

And the gateway IP on the HR, it's the IP of your router and not your bridge, correct?

12. LooksLikeRain

LooksLikeRain New Member

May 16, 2008
    The HR20 does not have an internet connection. That seems to be the main problem. All of the other checks are ok (ip, gateway, network, dns) The Gateway address shown is the IP of the wireless router and not the bridge. Isn't that the way it should be?

The IP address assigned appears to be coming from the wireless router as well as it is not the IP of the bridge.

13. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    assuming you have the same wireless ssid & security settings setup in the bridge
    to match the router??

14. LooksLikeRain

LooksLikeRain New Member

May 16, 2008
    Yep. The PC works using the bridge. So, the bridge is connecting successfully to the network. I can even connect directly to the bridge and check the connection status. It says connected. It appears to be a breakdown between the HR20 and the bridge.

15. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Do you have the VoD menu, and is it working?

When rearainging my network a couple of weeks ago, I had an issue where one of my HRs show no internet connection though everything else was okay. Nothing I tried cleared it up, but VoD was still working so I just ignored it. A couple of days later, or next time I checked, it said my internet connection was OK.

16. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    This would be great news if I can make it work... can you confirm my understanding of how it works?

I have been using a WMG54G for a couple years to get songs off my PC (Yahoo Jukebox) to play on my main A/V system. I've got two HR2x DVRs installed in the same cabinet and just recently used a spare standalone wireless bridge to test the DirecTV connection and VOD - it works fine but, until they get more HD content, I don't use it very much. I'd like to free-up the standalone bridge to boost reception elsewhere in the house. So, please confirm that you've been able to use the ethernet port on the back of the WMG54G to act as a hard-wired LAN connection to nearby devices - and that the WMG54G is working normally via wireless from your PC. Have you seen any impact from running data along that connection while streaming audio through it? Any change in settings you had to make?

Thanks!

17. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    I can confirm this with the WMB54G, but I think that's what you mean.

Yessir.

No, not at all. 54Mbps is far faster than your internet connection so VoD only uses a small portion of your available bandwidth.

No. Surprisingly enough, it just worked.

To easily test it, just move your Cat 5 from your bridge to your WMB54G and give it a minute to sync up. Then try a VoD.

You're welcome.

Let me know if it works for you.