1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mentalist and The Good Wife

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Red Orc, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    My HR21-700 has been doing the strangest thing with those two shows.
    If I set it to record the Mentalist I get 30-45 minutes of the Good Wife.
    If I set it to record the Mentalist I get 30-45 minutes of The Mentalist.
    These are the only programs that this happens with.

Has anybody else had odd glitches like this?
    The DVR works records everything else with out any problems.

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    It's the programming guide that I've found off almost weekly on sunday evenings for that time slot.

What I've found that works is adding 30 mins to each of those 2 shows series links.

Surviver which comes on right before those 2 shows seems to cut in the first 22 mins or so thus lopping off the last 22 mins of each show----Thus the 30 min add on padding as to the resolution.

3. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks.
    They're not my favorite shows so it's more of a minor annoyance than anything else.
    I might just quit watching 'em both. Not like it'll be any big loss.

Now if that happened with Doctor Who or American Horror Story Asylum I'd be screaming.

4. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I have been adding one hour to The Mentalist.

5. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I hear ya; but feel the exact opposite about the shows :grin:

6. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Now you are REALLY making sure you ddon't miss that show

7. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I used to really love the Mentalist.
    It was one of my favorite shows.
    But all that Red John crap started getting on my nerves.
    I got tired of them constantly dusting Red John off for every season finale to try to string everybody along.
    The last straw was after he had supposedly shot Red John and then in the first episode of the next season said "No no no that wasn't Red John. Red John's still alive"
    I actually quit watching it for a while after that.

8. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Am I the only one who thinks that guy off The Good Wife looks like Pee Wee Herman?

9. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    It's the network that's at fault. They've been running sports preceding the time slot in question and when the sports run over, they slide the time slots, particularly for the eastern and central time zones. It's probably happening in real time (since the sports is live) and Directv doesn't have the ability to capture the change and adjust their scheduler on that basis. I noticed it didn't happen last night but every time it has happened, that was the case. I have the luxury (with DNS) to get the pacific feed and it puts the shows far enough out that they take place in the scheduled time slots, but the eastern feed has been screwed up a number of times.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You have to add at least a half-hour to both shows on Sundays where CBS broadcasts two NFL games. CBS pushes the scheduled starts of those shows back a half-hour on those days (and DVRs should pick that up), but sometimes even that half-hour is not enough.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...st-amazing-race-premieres-schedule-nfl-369481

11. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    If I was to miss Red John because Of this I be really piss off.:)

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's gotten better at least. Now, when they have two games, they automatically set the other programming off by 30 minutes and it's reflected in the guide. Still can be off, but not as bad as it used to be.

13. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    If you are doing a series recording, it would be best to add 1 hour to the stop time. That's what I'm doing for The Mentalist during the football season.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    +1

The worst it can do by adding the hour is record the nightly news.

15. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Anything is better than the Great Race[​IMG]

16. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Useless dadgum kids games. Football runs over and you lose. So I added three hours to both the Good Wife and Mentalist. Don't miss them now.

All silly kids games should go on some sort of useless dedicated channel. That way normal people never have to be exposed to such silliness.

17. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Sunday football.

Until an airing is somehow electronically tag with a start and finish time, recording of these shows that start later then schedule is purely guesswork.

I pad Mentalist 90 minutes.

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I, too, add an hour to The Mentalist every week (and The Amazing Race).

Unfortunately, tonight when I started to watch The Mentalist, I saw the ending of the Amazing Race finale (stinks that it started right as Phil was saying "Congratulations XXX and XXX) and I'm currently three episodes behind on TAR.

Forgot all about that little snafu potential.

19. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    That Sucks!!! :nono2:

You have to add an hour!!!

20. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    XXX and XXX won? Holy Smokes!

Mountan and Pacific time zones don't have this problem, but we do have to contend with the white annoying banners that edge up from the bottom of the screen telling us what time the next show will start in a completely different time zone (thanks, CBS, for unecessarily taking us completely out of the show at its most critical points 3 or 4 times each week)