The "new" Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MrDad0330, Aug 29, 2017.

1. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    I do have a question for all my friends out there, I have been getting lots of offers to return to D after they let me get away after 22 years with them but I doubt I would for two years minimum. No, I am not on any contract with Blue Ridge Comm but I'm saving $1000 my first year and $700 my second year. PLUS, I have some loyalty for the great deal BRC made for me. I have the Tivo Dream with 3 Tivo minis. Works just like the Genie and clients..

I had an interesting call yesterday from my so called "Loyalty Manager" at D. He told me that they had revamped the customer service dept and fired all the poor performers and that they would offer me a new Genie 2 and 4 wireless minis, and installation free. Total choice package for $68 per month and that included everything including the 4 minis (normally $6 per month per mini), No HD or DVR or Whole house charge. Kinda hard to believe. He also claimed that D now had out a new 18" dish that was so good that it virtually eliminates rain fade. He also claimed that D now had 17 satellites in orbit. I questioned him about that but he seemed to skirt the issue.

So bottom line, he offered me:The Genie 2. (is there such a thing)
    Total free installation including a dish in the ground
    4 Genie wireless mini's
    Total package per month including all charges $68 per month and $73 per month the 2nd year of the contract.
    NO RAIN FADE with their new super efficient dish

Can anyone please tell me if this is true? I'm skeptical. I've learned too much from all my friends in DBS Talk.

2. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Got a call like that the other day saying they have changed but since I just redid my Dish contract cut them short before I got the full spill.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There is no new dish, that's just a lie...

Genie 2 is real, but its only supposed to go to current customers for now, it will expand to everyone soon it seems..

The number of free minis sounds right, but no reason to get all wireless or any wireless unless you needed it..

I think those are the right promotions pricing wise, you'd have to double check though online...

I think he made up the firing all the poor performers, and the loyalty manager title..

4. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Ink, first of all, thank you for taking the time to respond, i appreciate that. I do have some questions for you......Since my home is wired, is there any advantage to the wireless mini? Is it a better performer? I know the thought of being able to pull a TV out on my deck is appealing but I cant say if I would ever do that.
    Also, are there improvements in it from Genie 1? AND what about his claim to virtually no rain fade? At the onset of any heavy rain, I have always lost signal for several minutes. Maybe a new LNB to lessen rain fade OR just another lie? Last, does D really have 17 operational sats in the air. He did mention that Pres Trump has the last Sat for his use on Air Force 1, I find that hard to believe. I asked him what was the last D sat launched, he couldnt answer that. Is it #14?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    sunfire9us likes this.
  5. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Cama, thanks for your response. I am not bound by any contract with BRC. which is nice. They have to be one of the best cable companies. Great service and performance unlike the horror stories I hear about all the "big boys" so I enjoy them. They made me a deal and after 22 years, D did not care much. So i still have ill feelings for getting kicked to the curb and, i have some loyalty to BRC for their deal and caring. I like the fact I can pull up Netflix, Youtube, Hula and more right on their channel offering. On the other hand, they don't have, nor do they see it coming, a 4K option like D has.

camo likes this.
  6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The CSR told you a bunch of stories.

I don't believe there is any way to "virtually eliminate" rain fade with the equipment we home users have. As someone recently pointed out, even with DIRECTV's dish farm with much larger dishes, they have a backup facility in case one has issues, including storm-related rain fade.

If your house is wired, stay with wired for reliability. Maybe get one wireless to move a TV set outside, but not all four.

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You have a right to be skeptical. In my nearly 22 years with DIRECTV I have never heard of a "Loyalty Manager". If DIRECTV really revamped their customer service department and fired all the poor performers they'd be working with a skeleton crew right now. The Genie 2 (HS17-100 and HS17-500) is real but as posted is currently available to existing customers as a upgrade. In time it most likely will be available to new customers as well. As for the NO RAIN FADE super efficient dish that's a out and out lie! I agree with inkahauts, the number of free wireless minis sounds right but it's better to have a wired system. Do some research with the pricing and get it in writing.

8. hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Stuart's a little fast and loose with facts there...

"However, since then the AM21 Antenna Module has not only been discontinued, bur support for it has been dropped from most of DIRECTV's line"

...is at best misleading, based on (probably) the the Genie2's incompatibility. But, given the installed base of things that are compatible, it's not really factually correct.

9. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I agree with everything said and add a couple things. They really do have 'all included' packages with no added fees but if you compare the price after any promotions are over it is really no cheaper than the regular package plus fees. Regrading wireless minis, wired is ALWAYS superior to wireless. If the cables are there, use them.

Rich likes this.
  10. mccarthymac

mccarthymac New Member

Oct 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Is anyone getting this deal that is currently under contract for monthly programming discounts?

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think they're calling Retention the "Loyalty" something or other now. So a "Loyalty Manager" would not be an impossibility. But a manager that tells tales of that sort? Absolutely no rain fade? That would have turned me right off.

Rich

12. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I am fairly certain the All Included deals are for new customers only.

13. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I got a deal on Sunday Ticket in July that put me under an agreement for a year and just called back for the $30 a month that is a year commitment as well. So in less than 1 month, I got Sunday Ticket free, $30 off a month for a year, free Showtime for 4 months and half off the Xtra Pack for 3 months.

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Based on the complete untruths about the new 18" dish that "virtually eliminates rain fade" and Directv having 17 satellites in orbit I'd be leery whether the rest was true. They probably did fire some poor performers, but that doesn't mean they got them all, or haven't hired new poor performers to replace them.

Are you SURE he worked for Directv? Are you able to call Directv's 800 number and talk to someone to take advantage of that offer? Something about this sounds scammy to me - why would a Directv rep lie about that stuff in what would otherwise be a pretty good comeback offer?

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    ".... Absolutely no rain fade?"

It was "virtually", a huge difference. And believable that a better dish would decrease the occurrence. Rain fade has never been an issue where I live.

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I can count the number of hours I experience rain/snow fade in a year where I live on my hand and have fingers left over. Now if only my internet service provider was that reliable.

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you might want to move a tv outside sometimes then by all means get a wireless mini, but as others have said, I'd only get one wireless (unless you want to put more than one outside). Wired and wireless really show no difference in my system, but as a general rule wireless will never be better than wired, but wired can easily be better than wireless.

Yes, there are improvements, as in more tuners (7 instead of 5) up to 7 rooms (all clients, where as the genie 1 is four rooms with the box and three clients) and 2 4k recordings and or viewings at once are possible, where as the hr54 genie is limited to 1. May not be important now, but may be important in the future. If you are upgrading then its worth having it IMHO.

I will be as blunt as I can, the rain fade comment was pure hogwash... Its the same today as it was last year and the 10 years before that.

As for number of sats, Id have to count... its not 17, its around 12 ( I think there's 4 at 101, 7 between 99 and 103, some transponders on one sat they don't own at 97, one sat at 110 and one or two at 119, although not all even are sending out signals right now))I want to say. D15 was last up, and they evidently are building another right now as we speak for next year or the year after.

The President doesn't have his own sats... He, like every other airline carrier that gets directv, pulls signals form the same directv sats we all do...

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    A bigger dish would decrease rain fade, but there isn't any "better". Unless it was designed by a monkey, safe to assume that it focuses everything that hits it into the feedhorns on the LNB. You can't improve beyond that besides increasing the amount of surface area to reflect more signal.

Spending more money could improve the LNA, but it probably has less than 1 db noise which wouldn't be noticeable in terms of rain fade incidence.

19. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Thank you all for your feedback, i really appreciate it. Someday I do hope to return to D but not quite yet. I am now wondering if this maybe was a scam. He told me to get started I would be billed $1 which would be refunded in 5 to 7 days. No I did not give out any personal info. The number he is calling from is listed as: 1-866-207-4142. I did just try to recall the number at 7:20PM but I got a message the user was busy and I could not leave a message as his mailbox was full. There was no mention that this was Directv.
    I will add that with all the knowledge you have all imparted into my brain over the 10 years, I might know more about D the most of their CSRs. This guy tried to call me at 6:59pm EDT but I didnt answer as I had not read all your fine posts.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Number appears to be a telemarketer and not DIRECTV.