1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new Dr. Who: She is Jodie Whittaker

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jul 16, 2017.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  2. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    And, of course, from the British tabloid the Daily Star BBC face backlash as new Doctor Who announced as a woman: 'Politically correct rubbish':

But while many celebrated the news, Twitter was awash with countless angry viewers.

"WHO is that woman? What total rubbish. I shall never watch it again. #jodiewhittaker #travesty," one fan fumed.

"RIP Doctor Who 1963-2017, will be sadly missed," a second added.

A third continued: "#Doctor13 politically correct bulls***."

A fourth wrote: "Doctor Who its becoming a farce now."

Meanwhile, others claimed they will never watch the show again.

"Thats the last series of #doctorwho confirmed. What a load of s***," one gutted fan tweeted.

"Incredibly disappointed. RIP #DoctorWho," another said.

"After 53 years of loving the show, Christmas 2017 will be my last episode."

"RIP Doctor Who 1963-2017. Was good while it lasted," an angry fan raged.

"The Doctor never has and never will be a woman #DoctorWho13"​

Speaking about the decision, Head Writer and Executive Producer Chris Chibnall said: "After months of lists, conversations, auditions, recalls, and a lot of secret-keeping, we're excited to welcome Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor.

"I always knew I wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice.​

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I will miss Capaldi ... but at least we were warned at the beginning of the year that this would be his last, so at least it isn't too surprising.

And the Dr Who show has been playing with female time lords over the years - including gender shifts (the most famous being The Master becoming Missy).

I hope she does well. But I hope she becomes a Doctor who happens to be female instead of focusing on her being a female.

Nick likes this.
  4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I would expect that the initial reaction from one segment of fans can be caricatured like this:

[​IMG]

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I might try watching this year.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    This last Capaldi season was decent ... nothing spectacular just basic stories that served as a reset for the series. If one never saw DoctorWho before this would be a good year to be introduced to the basics of the universe without a lot of "weird" sci-fi. (Although I wonder if the regular fans were not excited with such a quiet season.) The season built toward the end and Christmas should be special with Capaldi letting go and regenerating (he has been holding back this year).

Last year's double episode format (each pair of episodes telling a connected story) was better for sci-fi and action adventure. The first Capaldi year seemed to be getting people accustomed to Capaldi as the doctor --- as if "you are not my doctor" was a challenge to overcome. I am glad I watched the past few years. (BTW: Tom Baker is my doctor and seeing the Curator was fun. Yet another respectful nod to the deep history of Doctor Who.) Christmas is too far away.

7. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I have watched Dr who since Tom baker first appeared on are local pbs channel in "robot". I was so young I could barely stay wake until 10 pm. That had to be 35 years or more ago. In its hay day it was on monday-Saturday and Saturday had double episode. Though Netflix dvd I have watched every dvd that's available Tom baker twice. I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the new episodes but in my opinion that just aren't as good as the classics. I don't know if it's the shorter time each episode gets or its like how they see classic things different. Look at the cybermen. In the classics they where alot better than the jokes they have become. But I think I will always ne a fan.