1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new Thursday battle shapes up with Southland and Harper's Island

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Apr 11, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It appears there was no clear winner Thursday in the battle between the overhyped premiers, NBC's Southland and CBS' Harper's Island. From TV Week:
    The flaw in any analysis is that ABC wisely had Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice in reruns and will do so next week. The week after, we'll see what really happens when we have a head-to-head as follows:

8:00 pm
    ABC - In the Motherhood/Samantha Who
    CBS - Survivor Tocantins
    Fox - Bones
    NBC - My Name is Earl/Parks & Recreation
    The CW - Smallville

9:00 pm
    ABC - Grey's Anatomy ("cleverly" set to run 62 minutes)
    CBS - CSI
    Fox - Hell's Kitchen
    NBC - The Office/30 Rock
    The CW - Supernatural

10:00 pm
    ABC - Private Practice
    CBS - Harper's Island
    NBC - Southland

We watched Southland last night, but probably won't get to Harper's Island until Sunday night. Southland has a solid cast, terrific writing, great production values, and what appears to be a very expensive budget. The fact that it didn't get 10 million viewers when the Grey's/PP lineup was in reruns doesn't bode well when the 10 pm slot is going to go to Leno this fall.

2. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Harper's Island is on the DVR for tonight or Sunday viewing. I've never even heard of Southland- that tells you how much NBC I watch. ;)

3. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I watched Harper's Island looked good.I will give it a whirl.
    Geeze according to all the reviews I saw on Yahoo & some other sites,Southland is destined for cancellation.And those review were posted before it actually aired on Thursdays.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    It is unusual for me to be taken with a new show, but Southland got me in the first epi.

5. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I don't do well with "new" neither Nick.That's what I thought about Harper's Island.
    Unfortunetly I'll be away for about 14 days and I'm going to miss alot of my favorite shows including the NHL playoffs.
    I don't think cruise ships will have that and others of my must see tv !

6. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Same here, good show. Reminds me of Third Watch a little. Hope it lasts.

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, watched "Harpers Island'. It's however many episodes of "Friday the 13th" as a soap opera. Not exactly terrible, but in terms of quality TV it's no "Southland". Unfortunately, "Southland" is intended to be, and probably could be, a 6+ season show in a one season era for broadcast TV on a half-season network.

I guess one night a week they could precede Leno with "Chuck" on at 8-9 and "Southland" 9-10. But who knows.

8. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    The whole cop/lawyer drama field is getting really tired. Third Watch was an interesting twist, mixing in the firemen. But right now it seems like there's at least two of these on every single night. It's difficult to find another setting with this much built-in drama and life-risking situations, (other than the equally predictable medical drama) but surely someone can come up with something original...

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    No contest here. We deleted Harper's Island after watching about 10 minutes of it. Watched Southland to the end.

That said, I found Southland to be a little intense. I'm not sure it needs to be as graphic as it was to make the point, but will be interesting to see how the series unfolds. For those old enough to remember Hill Street Blues, it was one of the first "cop shows" in my memory that tried to put the viewer in the officers' shoes, as Southland does. I thought it achieved that without being nearly as visual. Different era, tho, I guess. :) /steve

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Man, that's a big night for us.

We currently record 8.5 hours of the 9 available on ABC, NBC & CBS

11. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Did not watch "Harper's Island" and do not plan on watching it.

I did watch "Southland" and like it a lot. I was looking forward to this show starting for a while now. Hopefully it will make it.

12. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1

Missed Southland, but will give it a try next week.

Harper's reminded me of a prime time soap. I think it's been tried before.

13. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I sort of liked the 1st few minutes and will give it a shot (for awhile).I did get a feeling it will be a one shot deal.

14. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Southland caught my attention right away as well. Very gripping and excellent writing and acting. I liked the intensity, it was different from the intensity in Criminal Minds and Sarah Connor, etc.

15. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    I watched both -- preferred Southland.

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    This thread is begging for a poll. Howsaboutit, Phrelin, can you slide one in?

1. Harper's Island
    2. Southland
    3. Neither

17. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The previews of Southland make it look all badass like NYPD Blue or The Shield, two police dramas that will never be duplicated. So I ignored it based on that. But If there is indeed a lot of violence, I'll tune in. Violence is one of 4 things a TV show can't have enough of. The other 3 being profanity, nudity and sex. No need to choose between Harpers Island and Southland when I can DVR them both.

18. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Not a bad idea. But I'd prefer to wait until after the 4/23 episodes to include "Private Practice" and "Your Local News".;)

19. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I like Southland and Harper's Island too. May have to get one from PlayOn (R22 media service) Smallville conflicts with that slot.