The New XFL Professional Football League

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Rich, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had no idea this new league even existed. Found last weekend's games in the morning newspaper Saturday and recorded them. Different rules, rules that make sense, are part of the package. These rules are pretty simple and were explained before each game. Aside from the rule changes it's football and the games were enjoyable. Found two more games on Sunday and one was good, the other one was terrible. Kinda like the NFL.

The players seemed to be enjoying themselves, players that didn't make the cut in the NFL. All in all, it seems like an interesting alternative to the NFL games.

Anybody else watch?

Rich

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes- I did all 4 Games -they were great -instant field interviews - NO talking head Mind readers
    I liked it very much -- Yes- It's a Great second Chance league for all "persons" with legal issue's that the NFL had to part ways with for "woke" reasons.

a Lot 2nd rounders failed picks and college wash outs - the rule changes are neat.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, very enjoyable. And probably doomed. Damn shame if this league folds, I like the way they play the game.

Rich

4. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The league GAVE its TV rights away to Disney and New Fox for nothing. Thus the only revenue it can get is live gate sales, plus minor things like display advertising in the stadiums, and whatever the concessions deal is in each venue. Each game drew just over 17K. Some have speculated that the houses were “papered” but the league and ESPN deny this.

Assume not. In this league QBs can get 6 figures, but everybody else is making the exact same. About $50K for the season.

The math just does not work out.

Two years tops.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Would not surprise me.

Rich

6. TJNash

TJNash AllStar

Jun 5, 2012
    San Diego
    Two years, minimum. Vince McMahon has committed to two years, so it will be around at least that long. At that point, the plan is to get TV money.

The early numbers were pretty strong. The real test will be moving forward, of course.

I really enjoyed the sped up pace of play, and the replay official transparency has to be in the NFL immediately.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Lots of good things to say about this venture. I'd like to see it succeed.

Rich