1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New York Television Sports Scene – What a Joke

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Anthony, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony

Anthony DBSTalk Club Member

Dec 16, 2002
    It breaks down like this:

Cablevision
    Fox Sports – Islanders, Devils
    MSG - Rangers, Knicks

Yankees
    YES Network – Yankees, Nets

Mets, Time Warner, Comcast
    SportsNet New York – Mets

So now each cable/satellite provider must negotiate with four RSNs (3 different owners); each one trying to convince you that they are worth their weight in gold. Once upon a time the Mets, Yankees and Nets feel under Cablevision’s RSNs. Not today. Yet, the cost of Fox and MSG go up, not down. How does that work? Subscribers now have to bear the burden of an additional two RSNs who feel they can charge a premium due to the caliber of their teams. I know, in a perfect world, the market would dictate the RSNs worth. However, in this setup, the market has little to say. Dish could not negotiate a fair agreement for YES, so no YES. The same may happen with SNY. All other cable/satellite providers put up less of a fight either because they are afraid of losing subscribers or they own the RSN already, therefore, not much to fight over. Bottom line for NY sports fans – your screwed by paying too much to see your teams or your screwed by not paying and seeing nothing. Way to go TEAMS.

2. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I don't know why you're including the Jets in SNNY since they won't be broadcasting any of their games, regular Season anyway. If you're talking highlights and shows on the team, YES already does that with the Giants.

3. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    Not sure about the channels you mentioned, since I am in L.A., but I do feel your pain. I am at work and was excited to learn that I can watch the UCLA 1st round NCAA game online, so I logged in, then clicked on the other games, but when I clicked on ucla, I got:
    Bastards! And that's on the freakin' web.

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    In terms of cable providers, nope, they don't have to negotiate for all four. I doubt and negotiations took place to get MSG and FSNY on Cablevision or SNY on TW and Comcast. :) SNY poped up about 24 hours ago here on channel 77.

5. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    Wow!!!!!!

6. JetsMetsGuy

JetsMetsGuy New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    "E",

Let us know whether you have any intention of carrying SportsNet NY!!!
    It's a better deal for you than the YES channel!
    We the Dish customers that want their local sports in the Tri-State area are real tired of all the BS!!!
    You will have many customers jumping ship if Dish doesn't carry SNY.
    Get together with Wilpon & Get It Done Now!!!

JMG - Massapequa Park, NY

7. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    SNY has been assigned to E* channel 438, but that could mean nothing.

8. Ashrak

Ashrak Cool Member

Mar 27, 2006
    FYI: JMG, I read that Verizon's new FIOS service has an agreement with SNY and I think Massapequa Park is one of the only areas it is currently available.

9. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    IMHO, the New York Sports Television Sports Scene paralells the talent of the teams.

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Did you have to register in order to get the game on line? If so did they ask you any information that would lead to your true location?

Several years ago a Canadian web site (I Crave TV) came on line carying live streaming video of nearly every TV station that was receivable OTA in the Toronto area. The only caveat was you had to be physically located in Canada in order to receive the service. The method they used to establish your loaction was for you to give them your phone number. So I gave them a phone number form southwestern Ontario and viola! I was watching TV. That was easier than "moving".

They were shut down shortly after that due to copyright violations.

11. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    I think they base it on IP. They may have a listing of the IPs for a particular region. I know this is not a stretch, because I tried to download "The I.T. Crowd" web based TV series from it's website and I was met with a warning that the show is only available for download in the UK.

12. ScottieMobility

ScottieMobility New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    I don't know about anyone else but if DISH doesn't add SNY, I am going to be incredibly disappointed. That actually may be an understatement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.