1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the NON FAMILY FRIENDLY DIRECTV...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bjlc, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 18, 2010 #1 of 117
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    since my opinion will be buried in the holiday radio thread..
    I thought I would bring this out for all to see..

You have a Holiday Channel that is FAMILY FRIENDLY.. you have other channels that are not.. Yet the Holiday channel is on a tier that you MUST PAY EXTRA FOR.. not on its basic tier..

Now I think that every one should listen to the type of music that THEY PERSONALLY LIKE.. Wide open..

but if its not family friendly.. why should that type of channel be free or on a lower tier, when an OBVIOUSLY FAMILY FRIENDLY Channel is not..

how can you say to the Public.. Hey.. we are family friendly.. this is the place for your kids, when, you charge more for the service of that type of channel.

all I am saying is that channel should be on the lowest available tier and not on the highest...

and if you have a GREAT, but non family channel, move that one to a higher tier , so that it IS AVAILABLE for anyone who wants to listen to that style of music..

its like an adult channel.. they are great for those who want to watch that type of viewing.. but you pay for that right..

its should be the same here..

some one at Directv needs to look at this and fix it TODAY.. and not just for the 4 weeks during the holiday season...

Family friendly should ALWAYS COME FIRST.. and let anyone else HAVE AVAILABLE anything else that they want to see and hear..

2. Nov 18, 2010 #2 of 117
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I was even willing to pay an extra $5 to get the Holiday Music channel back, but it's on a sat I can no longer see with my 3 LNB dish, which is now the standard install for most customers!

3. Nov 18, 2010 #3 of 117
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...what? How in the world is what programing package a channel is offered in any indication of how family friendly a provider is? That is just ridiculous. If you want a certain channel, subscribe to the package it is included in. It's a single music channel...a single music channel. Wow.

4. Nov 18, 2010 #4 of 117
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Whether or not you agree with the OP that holiday music should be on a basic tier (and I do), they could at least put it on a sat that most families can receive! :lol: They dropped the ball on that one, IMHO.

5. Nov 18, 2010 #5 of 117
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    And like I just told you on the other thread regardless of which package you subscribe to you "always" have the means to make your viewing and listening "family Friendly". It's called Parental Control Settings and Channel Blocks! :rolleyes:

6. Nov 18, 2010 #6 of 117
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    You are missing the point..

the FAMILY FRIENDLY STUFF, should be first and on the lowest available tier at all times..
    why?

because, one its sells.. but two.. if you want some thing not family friendly, and its your right to do so, you pay more for it.. and you get what you want..

BUT YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO PAY EXTRA, in this case, this music channel , for a FAMILY FRIENDLY channel..

and this case Directv has MORE THEN DROPPED THE BALL.

7. Nov 18, 2010 #7 of 117
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    No ball was dropped.

You simply have your own opinion as to how things should be packaged. Only 2 other providers offer such an option, and certainly, those are available to anyone who wants them.

There are tons of family-friendly viewing available within existing packages as well.

Packages are redone with some regularity...so who knows...maybe something like that will surface some time in the future.

8. Nov 18, 2010 #8 of 117
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    The three lnb install is for areas that don't have sd locals on 119. That's not "most".

9. Nov 18, 2010 #9 of 117
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    So who decides what is and what isn't "family friendly"?

10. Nov 18, 2010 #10 of 117
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I actually moved to a higher tier to get the Holiday Music channel, and still couldn't, because I have the now "standard" 3-LNB install for my area. I was on hold for a half-hour with a CSR who finally figured-out I couldn't get it, even if I was willing to pay for it.

11. Nov 18, 2010 #11 of 117
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Now that just ain't right/fair... ;)

12. Nov 18, 2010 #12 of 117
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    No need to YELL. We are not missing the point, but I do believe that you have failed to make a valid point. The family friendly...ness of a channel doesn't dictate whether it should be in the lowest tiered package or the next to lowest tiered package. Either way, we are talking about a difference of $10 I believe. They will probably give you a $10 monthly credit or something if you complain about it. If you want channels which are included in a specific package, subscribe to that package. If you want to decide which package channels are included in, round up some investors and launch your own company.

13. Nov 18, 2010 #13 of 117
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    From what I've read DirecTV will make "Holidays & Happenings" temporarily available to all starting around Thanksgiving. Now that's keeping up with the spirit of the holiday season. Outside of that you get what you pay for. If your that unhappy with DirecTV perhaps Cable or DISH is more your speed. Hell, I'll even send you the promo DISH just sent me in the mail to get me to switch if it will help you with your grief. ;)

14. Nov 18, 2010 #14 of 117
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    It is for most major metro areas. I'm in the NY-NJ-CT area. Lots of subscribers there.

15. Nov 18, 2010 #15 of 117
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    The issue of which satellite delivers it is another story, but I'm not sure exactly how many people that causes problems for.

16. Nov 18, 2010 #16 of 117
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Just curious why you keep on pushing the "family friendly" issue. I mean... channels like NickToons - a very family friendly channel - is available in "Choice Extra", but NOT in "Choice". And there are several others like that, that could be considered Family Friendly, but you would need either Choice Extra, or Choice Ultimate to receive them. Some of the Encore channels for instance are family friendly, such as Encore WAM, but you need Choice Ultimate for those.

My personal opinion is that all music channels should be the same in all packages, just like cable, U-Verse, Dish and FIOS. But that has nothing to do with the "family friendliness" of it. ;)

Regardless, at THIS moment you will need a 5LNB dish to receive the Holiday and Happenings channel, as it currently houses on the 119 satellite, and won't be moved to the 101 some time after Thanksgiving when it is made available for all.

If you have a 5LNB, you could consider whether it is worth the $5 to upgrade to Choice Ultimate for Holiday Music, and then downgrade again in December when it is available for all.

Also, there is a thread where all issues re: the Holiday channel have been discussed:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=186031

17. Nov 18, 2010 #17 of 117
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Look again, he's been complaining on that thread too. :rolleyes:

18. Nov 18, 2010 #18 of 117
    Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    If you have Apple TV or Roku (or any other player), you can get holiday music for free via the internet. No need to give DIRECTV another dime. Get the tunes for free. As a father of two little kiddies, I understand what you’re saying.

19. Nov 18, 2010 #19 of 117
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Most of the West Coast however has no locals in the 119, such as the Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento and San Francisco metropolitan areas, which combined, are good for about 10% of the entire United States population. ;)

And plenty of DirecTV subscribers in this area for sure.

I had to have them come out and put a 5LNB on my dish to get not only the Holidays and Happenings channel, but also some of the other music channels such as Irish music channel, which I absolutely love.

20. Nov 18, 2010 #20 of 117
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The equipment techs on here would know, but I know for a fact that if a subscriber is in an area a 3 LNB dish is appropriate for locals, that's what DirecTV wants them to install. I had that discussion with the last tech who was here to troubleshoot an LNB issue I was having.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.