1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The old MPEG-2 channels re-appeared in my guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ThePrisoner, May 15, 2010.

1. ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner Legend

Jul 11, 2009
    I noticed in my guide are the HD channels that were in the 70's. If I tune to them it tells me that programming is not available. I know these were deleted in March but I wonder why they showed back-up. Anyone else see these?

2. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Yep.

The D12 adventure?

3. paco1986

paco1986 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Yes, I'm seeing them too. Maybe prep for D12?!

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I'm not seeing them here (just the SD informercial channels which are in the 70s, 80s and 90s).

Edit: I'm guessing the reason I don't see them is that my receiver is set up for a SL3 and these channels were on 110/119.

5. kryscio23

kryscio23 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    How about that! They are back in the guide for me so I tried clicking on HBO (70) for Men In Black II ... and it popped up as a "GameSearch" and was searching for the "game/program" on other channels and found it on 501 (obviously). So then it asked me if I wanted to go to 501 and I told it "No, stay here," and then a blue banner came up to say "the program is not available in your area (727)." It did the same GameSearch when I tried TNT on channel 75.

I know the channels are gone but I thought it was interesting as to how the receiver acted.

6. paco1986

paco1986 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    I am seeing exactly the same thing. It's treating it like a sports blackout and searching for an alternate channel. Interesting indeed.

7. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    this is my personal opinion, but I believe that the channels in the 70s
    are going to be used as part of the new HD roll out. I heard that they are going to put 3D channels there.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Low 100's for 3d.. 106 for espn 3dhd.... (Sat racer and a little birdie told me so)

I think Doug mentioned something a while back about the 70's hd's maybe still being there for some businesses until they finish updating those systems, but no longer here for regular customers... Maybe there is a glitch in the channel mapping for these channels right now because of the d10 to d12 prep work...

9. codespy

codespy Ted- Get some free agents NOW!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I got them too.....70,72,73,75,76 with guide data.....but no 79 HDNet.

Tune in and it hits gamesearch mode but forwards to the correct channel.

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    are they doing this to force a re-tune on businesses systems?

11. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    That's a very good hypothesis. The channels, although being removed for residential subscribers, were still available to businesses. This could be the last attempt at getting the businesses to move off the old channels before they truly go dark.

12. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Those businesses are years behind on the times considering how much HD they are missing. If they haven't changed by now, they don't plan on changing.

13. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    Or maybe they just have some boxes at the old numbers and did not change them to the new ones.

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I go to a bar that has Comcast HD. You don't know how many times I've seen ESPN in SD on their TVs. Since I know the bartenders, I fix it for them.

15. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    My golf club has multiple DirecTV HDs all over the property. None of the bartenders, or even the manager, have any idea of the difference between SD and HD. I told the manager how to set the box to "exclude SD duplicates" and how that would keep people from tuning to SD by mistake and he was shocked.

We even get NFLST, which I am sure costs a pretty penny for a commercial establishment, and he never promotes it or anything.

16. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    a lot of bars / restaurants on have sd boxes and a sd / analog system to send the channel out to the tv's.

But there are a few that have a HD switching system.

and some have a HD box at each tv.

17. murry27409

murry27409 Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Well their re-appearance caused a glitch in my DVR's attempt to record the yankee red sox game (I have an ARSL 4 yankee games). I came home ~8PM and noticed that the DVR's record lite was off. I checked the history; it showed that it had attempted to record the game on Ch 73 with no luck. It even had a message that the recording was canceled by the viewer.

18. Skyboss

Skyboss Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    Yeah, but they don't get any equipment deals and some have to order a lot of receivers. An upgrade for 10 receivers and a new dish cost my company a few grand to have done. Part fo it is insurance requirements and what not associated with a business setup. The upside was that we now have more than just "news and information".

19. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I really hadn't even noticed that there was a time when these channels were off the guide :shrug: But I'm getting the same re-direct that everyone else is getting.