The ONE AND ONLY Official THR22 "Not for me" thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1 of 99
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I want this forum to be a place where TiVo fans can feel safe. I know there will be some of you who aren't big TiVo fans. This is your ONE and ONLY thread for stating that.

This is not a license to be rude to each other. Please keep it friendly.

2. Dec 6, 2011 #2 of 99
    F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Each to their own and not bashing anyone.

But the HRxx have all I want, and have a lot more opportunity for new features.

I remember when the HR20 first came out and all the Tivo users bashed it and would have to have their Tivo "prized from their cold dead hands" and now wouldnt have this new one if you paid them :)

So maybe in a few years Tivo will be better, but it has a long way to go to catch up in my opinion.

I like whole world dvr (I know it doesnt exist yet but it will come soon) where all my programming is available on all my devices (tablets, computers, receivers etc.) from my dvr where ever I am. I think the HRxx has that possibility in the near (1 or 2 yrs) future.

3. Dec 6, 2011 #3 of 99
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I'd like to be the first to officially say "I will never own one of these!". :lol:

4. Dec 6, 2011 #4 of 99
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    While I've still got a few TiVo dolls laying around the house, my fanboi status was revoked long ago.

Got rid of my last D*TiVo about 4 years ago and don't know why I waited so long.

(I do like the remote though)

5. Dec 6, 2011 #5 of 99
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I do like the fact that it's an option for those that really prefer Tivo, and do hope it greatly improves and gets up to a level of the newer equipment. There was a time I missed my Tivo, but am happy with the regular boxes.

6. Dec 6, 2011 #6 of 99
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Whats a TIVO? :lol:

I will leave mine for someone else.

7. Dec 6, 2011 #7 of 99
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I hope folks enjoy their long-awaited Tivos. For me that ship sailed in the mid-2000's but to each their own. I just hope people aren't let down by missing features. :(

8. Dec 6, 2011 #8 of 99
    markman07

markman07 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Minnesota
    If this was a few years ago this 'fanboy' would have been chasing down and jumping all aboard this band wagon. But then the HR's and Whole-Home Express came cruising down the road and I got on and haven't missed Tivo really since.

9. Dec 6, 2011 #9 of 99
    trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    I would have been interested 2-3 years ago...but with this said:

It looks like a relic from the past.

10. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    May be for some, not for me. I am happy with two HR24's and Whole Home......

11. Brennok

Brennok Legend

Dec 23, 2005
    Definitely happy I didn't stay with DirecTV while waiting around for this. I would have been upset. Love my current setup of TiVos and Windows Media Center, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Still waiting to hear from the few friends and family members that didn't switch from DirecTV years ago if they will be picking this up.

12. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I just don't get why people are so gaga over Tivo. Not trying to have a go at them but I truly don't understand the appeal. Is it a nostalgia thing? Is it about fearing change? From what I can tell, the HR24 is light years ahead of this "new" Tivo unit. And they pay an extra $5/mo for LESS features? Are we talking about a blind loyalty type of situation?

Anyone?

13. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I am going to assume you went to cable then?

What do you get with Tivos and Windows Media Center? Can you tell us some features? I am intrigued as to what you get by plugging in Windows Media Center.

Given the slew of great features on the current HD DVRs, I am trying to marry them up to the Tivo + WMC.

Thanks

14. Reggie3

Reggie3 DBSTalk Club Member

Feb 20, 2006
    I'd rather have the HR34. Like other said above three years too late

15. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    1. No Series Link limits.
    2. Dual-Live-Buffers.
    3. Wishlists.
    4. NO PiL or PiG.
    5. Deleted Items folder.
    6. Suggestions.

~Alan

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    My first DVR was the DirecTV R15, so that is what I learned first and became familiar with. I specifically bought an R10 (Tivo based DVR) shortly after that because of all the comparisons I was reading (both at Tivo Community and DBSTalk) about how poorly the R15 stacked up against the Tivo. After giving the R10 a pretty fair workout, I decided I preferred the DirecTV implementation and have not looked back.

For those who prefer the Tivo implementation, I sincerely hope the THR22 provides what you are looking for, and that it continues to mature and offer more features, just as the HR2x series have. But, as evidenced by my posting in this thread, it's not for me.

17. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Well, I'm glad you guys got your own thread.
    Bash Away. :D

18. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    There will be no "Bashing"...only discussion. I'm just sayin' :grin:

Mike

19. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    If this were 2008, I'd be ready to stand in line for this. Sadly though, that ship has sailed and sunk. The HR series, while going through growing pains, has become better than anything I ever wanted from a TiVo.

I'm happy for those whose dreams are finally coming true. Congrats, you've been VERY patient. Have fun! :)

20. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I had planned to get one for the "suggestions" feature, however, with the fee's and lack of features, I chose to upgrade to the HR34 instead. I still love my Premier (hooked to OTA) for recording the networks and playing Pandora.