1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Price is Right in HD

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by bbaleno, Oct 15, 2007.

1. bbaleno

bbaleno Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    I noticed watching the "price is right", I think the first drew carey one, that they are using HD cameras (at least it had a HD Sticker on it) but on my local CBS it is 4:3. is this Show in HD anywhere?

2. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I saw the exact same thing.. HD cameras on The Price Is Right, although my local station only shows it in 4:3 SD.

Something else I've noticed is Jeopardy.. the guide shows it in HD in the guide, although my local station (WHP) only shows it in SD (4:3). I know this show is syndicated and various stations show this one, just like Wheel of Fortune.

I am going to write to my local CBS station and see what they say...

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    TPIR is syndicated to local broadcasters, and whether it is broadcast in HD or SD
    is to up to the station. "Wheel" has ben offered in HD for more than a year now,
    and I still get it in SD.

Contact your local station.

4. bbaleno

bbaleno Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    I wonder if it being syndicated, are the locals are only buying the sd versoin, and simulcasting it.

hmm

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD

The Price is Right is a CBS program, not a syndicated program.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thank you, Tony. I sit corrected! :grin:

In my own defense, I never watch TPIR, so what do I know? (Not much, apparently. :shrug:)

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Wheel and Jeopardy are both shot in 16:9 HD. However, the ability of your local affiliate to broadcast it in 16:9 depends on the recording equipment they have to receive the syndicated content. If they haven't upgraded their recorders, then all they're going to show is the pillar boxed versions. My local FOX station holds the rights for both shows and is supposed to be upgrading their equipment soon.

8. kirkusinnc

kirkusinnc AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    Wheel and Jeopardy are both in hi-def here in Raleigh-Durham.

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I contacted the local CBS station's dir. of engineering. He said CBS does not provide an HD feed of TPIR, and didn't even know they used HD cameras. I told him to watch the show and he observed the HD cameras.

Locally, we only get Wheel and Jeopardy in SD, although the guide and logo at the beginning of the show says HD. The local guy said the station's automation equipment does not do HD currently, but that will change in 2008. Just depends upon what affiliate you are watching...

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's possible they don't have the specifics of the HD feed nailed quite yet but the HD cameras are for future-proofing. I'm not so sure I want to see some of that content in HD quite yet anyway...

11. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    The reason Price isn't shot in HD is because of staging. They've been using the same positioning for games the last 35 years. If you've ever been to the show you'd know how small that stage is - going to widescreen would force them to change the staging of their 70+ games to accomodate the new aspect ratio.

Also, some of the set pieces are really dinged up - paint chips, scratches, etc. You can't see that stuff in SD but it'll show through on an HD broadcast.

12. ECUPirates

ECUPirates New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I saw this question posted somewhere on another board a while back. The "answer" given there in regards to the HD seen on the camera was that the lens was an "HD" lens, but the camera itself was not HD. You can have an HD lens but not an HD camera.
    I noticed the "HD" sticker on the camera myself on Monday. It was on the very end of the camera where the lens is.

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    bills976, I presume you've been on set and seen it for yourself?

14. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Heck, just watching Monday's show in 4:3 SD, I noticed people standing off stage behind curtains.. must have had a few camera operator trainees or something. Stuff you never used to see before. Just imagine how much more 'secret' stuff you would have seen in wide screen format.

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    So the Million Dollar Spectacular is in HD, why isn't the regular daily show in HD yet? They obviously have the cameras set up for it.

16. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    No idea.. they've been using HD cameras for a while, but apparently CBS doesn't send the daytime show to their affiliates in 16:9 HD yet. Only SD at this time.

17. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know if the daytime version is technically network programming, meaning that it's broadcasted on the network feed and the stations just forward it on, or if there's some flexibility on the part of the stations on when they broadcast it.

If it's sent to the affiliates ahead of time it would make sense for it to be in SD since a lot of them don't have the ability to record HD feeds for rebroadcast.

18. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    The difference in getting it in HD or SD is probably because if the station time shifts the program, they can only record it in SD. If it is shown at the same time it is coming down off the sat, then it will probably be in HD. Most stations do not have HD recorders, but they can pass through HD programming. IMHO

19. jimbo713

jimbo713 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Yep - the prime time PIR special was in HD

20. djzack67

djzack67 Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Looks Great in HD, I love how you can see off stage sometimes. Kinda like the behind the magic.