1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The real "green-arrow" story

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kram, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1 of 12
    kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    Just got off the phone with Case Management. Engineering just released an email in response to the "green arrow" problem. In essence they said that lack of a green arrow does not indicate that there is a problem. Apparently DTV's quest to increase their customer base has resulted in an increase in demand for "on demand". And increased demand comes at a price -- decreased bandwidth. Subsequently, they recently had to ratchet back the number of movies available for "play now", creating instead a queue for receipt of these movies. Whereas previously all newly released movies were available to watch immediately (with green arrows), only one or two (three at most) are now available. In addition, a green-arrowed movie does not remain available indefinitely, and is subject to be over-written at DTVs discretion with another movie in the queue.

All movies, however, are still available for streaming (download-and-watch).:)

2. Apr 3, 2013 #2 of 12
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds "all well and good", but it also just sounds like they are not pushing quite as many to the DVRs as the did before. [aka: no big deal]

3. Apr 3, 2013 #3 of 12
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    hmmm I never even knew there was a green arrow problem.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #4 of 12
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Not sure what bandwidth has to do with movies already "pushed" into the DVRs by satellite. I've probably got a couple dozen or so playable now, right from the ad banners at ch 125.

Also looks like the top three or so always available on the 1/2 hour via "live" PPV channels.

The ones further down (ch 162) need to be "recorded" first.

5. Apr 3, 2013 #5 of 12
    kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    Yeah, I questioned the guy about that, but he didn't know the answer. Apparently these "pushed" movies are pre-loaded to some reserved area on the hard drive that D* can overwrite. My Ch. 125 movie titles seem to change frequently.

6. Apr 3, 2013 #6 of 12
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Yep, I guess there never really was a "green arrow" problem.

7. Apr 3, 2013 #7 of 12
    kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    It would appear so. I just was so used to seeing a multitude of green arrows! It was just a coincidence that I noticed the change after my HR44 was installed.

8. Apr 3, 2013 #8 of 12
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I suppose it depends on which "list" you are viewing the titles from. I know for instance that if I happen to have an episode downloaded or recorded already, sometimes it shows up with a green circle with a triangle in it if I go to that particular on-demand channel. When viewing the entire list (or sometimes on the channel's front page), The recorded and available episodes show up with this symbol.

Perhaps this is what is meant by the "green arrow?"

9. Apr 8, 2013 #9 of 12
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    it sounds more like they discovered that the variety of movies that folks wanted to watch was not as narrow as they might have guessed, meaning that only those watched often enough really made sense to push. The rest then are not pushed, and so there are now fewer arrows representing pushed movies.

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Your new HR44 would not contain the movies that had been pushed to your old DVR.

11. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    But after four or five days it should!

12. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I think that might be right, except it might depend on how large the "push" partition is on each DVR. That, and possibly what is pushed to a particular DVR may be tailored somehow to viewing history, sort of how Tivo's fuzzy logic tries to guess what you might like depending on how you have rated other stuff. Not sure it is all that sophisticated yet, tho, although that makes sense as a goal.